Question On Fellowship apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gagolden

Call me the DOgg
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question that maybe someone could shed some light on. Lets assume that I go to a IM residency in which most residents stay in-house for fellowships. Is it OK to apply to more than one fellowship at the same institution. For example, Apply to Cards, but apply to say PCCM as a "back-up"? Im still a couple of years off considering that ERAS goes out in a couple of weeks, but it would make a difference in the match list as I wouldn't rank such a program quite so high.

Members don't see this ad.

gagolden said:
I have a question that maybe someone could shed some light on. Lets assume that I go to a IM residency in which most residents stay in-house for fellowships. Is it OK to apply to more than one fellowship at the same institution. For example, Apply to Cards, but apply to say PCCM as a "back-up"? Im still a couple of years off considering that ERAS goes out in a couple of weeks, but it would make a difference in the match list as I wouldn't rank such a program quite so high.

The problem is that if those programs use ERAS (which for both cards and pulm both do) then you will still need to fill out 2 sets of applications, use 2 sets of personal statement and use 2 sets of letters, which is a titanic amount of work to apply to just 1 hospital in 2 specialties. You might have problem with your program director or chairman's letter which will take a lot of explaining to get them to write you 2 separate letters when they have question about your commitment. In my institution, my PD refuses to write 2 different letters for the same applicants for the same cycle (but he would consider writing a different one if you apply to one specialty this year, either withdrew or didn't match, and decide to apply to another specialty next year).

if you're applying to two programs within the same hospital where you work, if the two fellowship chairs find out, you lose spots in both places, guaranteed - they want someone fully committed to their field. its a bit less risky to apply to both programs at the same hospital OTHER than where you are doing your residency...still risky nonetheless.