Question re Cell Bio vs Comparative Physio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RisingSun

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next quarter I can either take one of these two classes: Cell Biology or Comparative Physiology (and its 3cr lab where we design experiments re whole-body animal physiology). I have already taken two quarters of Biochem, so feel pretty good in that regard. Would cell bio be too much overlap with stuff that I have already learned in biochem (protein structure, etc.)? My intro biology series did a pretty poor job on physiology so I think that this might be the better class for me, but it is comparative physiology rather than human physiology.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

RisingSun said:
Would cell bio be too much overlap with stuff that I have already learned in biochem (protein structure, etc.)?

Nope.

FWIW i think cell bio was a tremendously useful course, but that's b/c i plan on academic medicine.

RisingSun said:
Next quarter I can either take one of these two classes: Cell Biology or Comparative Physiology (and its 3cr lab where we design experiments re whole-body animal physiology). I have already taken two quarters of Biochem, so feel pretty good in that regard. Would cell bio be too much overlap with stuff that I have already learned in biochem (protein structure, etc.)? My intro biology series did a pretty poor job on physiology so I think that this might be the better class for me, but it is comparative physiology rather than human physiology.

Any thoughts?

It's going to depend on your particular school for how much overlap you see between cell bio and biochem. For my school, there was a fair amount of it at the beginning of the semester, but then cell bio and biochem started getting much more different. However, I've heard that second semester biochem is doing stuff we did last semester in cell bio.

Anyway, I would try to talk with people who have taken both classes to see how much overlap there will be between the two.

So the census is cell bio? That actually fits into my schedule better anyway.
I going to talk to the professor today and see what he plans on covering.

Thanks for the advice guys!