This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fz94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a graduate from Santa Clara University with a Bachelor's degree in Biology, and I am currently applying for Vet Schools for the 2019 application cycle. I am planning to apply to 13 vet schools in total. My question is regarding how Vet Schools actually look at the GPA you would earn form a prevet/prehealth masters program or a post bacc program compared to the GPA form undergrad. Do they average out the grades? Or do they simply compare side by side. The reason why I ask is because I finished my undergrad with a terrible 3.33 overall GPA and a pitiful 3.0 science GPA. Mostly due to my not so stellar performance in organic chemistry. I do have a lot of vet experience, I have worked at private small animal clinics, volunteered at rescue organizations, worked at a nature museum, volunteered at a dog training center, did field research abroad in India regarding wildlife conservation and also participated in a King Cobra conservation project while I was there, but my academics are not super strong. I also did not perform too well on the GRE with a 155 Verbal and 153 Quant and 4 on analytical writing. So I don't know if I stand any chance of getting into any of the schools I applied to, which is why I tried researching about post bacc programs and did not find enough information on them. I was wondering if anybody would also know good resources regarding info on said programs, I would ideally want to go for something within the state of california in case i don't succeed this application cycle.
Some of the vet schools I applied to:

UC Davis
Cornell
Texas A&M
Colorado State
Oregon State
Oklahoma State
Ohio State
Kansas State
Washington State
University of Illinois
North Carolina State
University of Florida
Western University of Health Sciences

Members don't see this ad.

I am a graduate from Santa Clara University with a Bachelor's degree in Biology, and I am currently applying for Vet Schools for the 2019 application cycle. I am planning to apply to 13 vet schools in total. My question is regarding how Vet Schools actually look at the GPA you would earn form a prevet/prehealth masters program or a post bacc program compared to the GPA form undergrad. Do they average out the grades? Or do they simply compare side by side. The reason why I ask is because I finished my undergrad with a terrible 3.33 overall GPA and a pitiful 3.0 science GPA. Mostly due to my not so stellar performance in organic chemistry. I do have a lot of vet experience, I have worked at private small animal clinics, volunteered at rescue organizations, worked at a nature museum, volunteered at a dog training center, did field research abroad in India regarding wildlife conservation and also participated in a King Cobra conservation project while I was there, but my academics are not super strong. I also did not perform too well on the GRE with a 155 Verbal and 153 Quant and 4 on analytical writing. So I don't know if I stand any chance of getting into any of the schools I applied to, which is why I tried researching about post bacc programs and did not find enough information on them. I was wondering if anybody would also know good resources regarding info on said programs, I would ideally want to go for something within the state of california in case i don't succeed this application cycle.
Some of the vet schools I applied to:

UC Davis
Cornell
Texas A&M
Colorado State
Oregon State
Oklahoma State
Ohio State
Kansas State
Washington State
University of Illinois
North Carolina State
University of Florida
Western University of Health Sciences

I’m only going to address the schools you applied to portion cause I don’t have experience in the other areas. I’m assuming your in-state school is UC Davis since you want to stay in California if you don’t get in?

That being said, some of the schools are very competitive in general, and even more so to out of state (OOS) applicants. Texas A&M for example takes a MAX of 10 OOS students. So it’s extremely competitive to get into as OOS, like incredibly high GPA and other academic aspects. Cornell, WSU, and NCSU are also very competitive for OOS.

I would encourage you to apply more strategically. Look at schools that take a good portion of OOS students, like Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Since you graduated from Santa Clara University, I can recommend a post-bacc program just around the area.

Take a look at Cal State East Bay's Pre-Professional Health Academic Program.

It is a full time 1 or 2 year program to prepare or enhance health care professional school applications, including Vet School. It's especially helpful in improving the last-45 GPA and Science GPA if you do well in the program. I know a couple of people who completed this program and got accepted to Vet School. They said the classes they took in the program even helped them in the first year vet school physiology class ;)

It's not cheap though, but what school is :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I had really similar undergrad stats to you. I couldn't get in anywhere affordable with them, so I did a master's, applied with a ~3.8 graduate gpa, and I got an interview and an acceptance. You definitely need to look into what schools will even take your graduate gpa into consideration because I know from experience that some of them won't even look at it. If it doesn't specify in their website, call or email them to make sure. Many schools, such as NC State, also have a minimum GPA to apply, so be sure to look at that as well so that you don't waste your money. If it helps, I applied to Ohio State, and they invited me to interview OOS, so that's definitely a school you may want to keep on your list. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I had really similar undergrad stats to you. I couldn't get in anywhere affordable with them, so I did a master's, applied with a ~3.8 graduate gpa, and I got an interview and an acceptance. You definitely need to look into what schools will even take your graduate gpa into consideration because I know from experience that some of them won't even look at it. If it doesn't specify in their website, call or email them to make sure. Many schools, such as NC State, also have a minimum GPA to apply, so be sure to look at that as well so that you don't waste your money. If it helps, I applied to Ohio State, and they invited me to interview OOS, so that's definitely a school you may want to keep on your list. Good luck!
What schools have you run into that didn't accept a masters GPA? I plan to go and get an animal science masters to improve my crappy undergrad GPA.

What schools have you run into that didn't accept a masters GPA? I plan to go and get an animal science masters to improve my crappy undergrad GPA.
The only one I can remember off the top of my head that I directly asked was Missouri. It's on some of the schools' websites, but you should probably contact each school to make sure.

Wisconsin uses cumulative GPA up to first undergrad degree as one of their evaluation factors.

Kansas also won’t consider masters stuff in gpa only undergrad. They actually told us she recommends people just improving or repeating the class bc Kansas takes the best grade. But you know that’s just Kansas

Reactions: 1 user