Question regarding prerequisite grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlyaR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading NYCOM's requirements and it mentions that the minimum grade for any of the sciences is a C. I got a D in Chem 1 (freshman year or school, was not taking undergrad seriously), but have an A or A- in everything else.

Hypothetically speaking, if I get a stellar score on the MCAT, would the D screen me out, as if I never took Chem 1 before? I've noticed that the same minimum grade is not mentioned in PCOM's FAQ.

Should I retake Chem for the best shot at this, or can I rely on a fairly high cGPA and (hopefully) high MCAT?

Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Basically is it Pass/Fail or A/B/C/F?

Nobody here can say for certain. Your best bet is to call NYCOM directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen waivers for C- but not for D. You'd probably be interviewed and even accepted, but they will make it conditional on you retaking it.

Thanks! Yeah, called NYCOM and they made it fairly clear that it must be C or higher. Would applying for 2014 be impossible if I take the class in the Spring? Basically, is it possible to get an interview in the Spring (their deadline is in February), if I have the prereq pending? I hope that I can get an acceptance contingent upon a >C so that I make 2014 matriculation.

Applying in Spring would be applying for a wait-list position. What's your hurry? Re-take the class, do well, and apply in the 2014-15 cycle.

Thanks! Yeah, called NYCOM and they made it fairly clear that it must be C or higher. Would applying for 2014 be impossible if I take the class in the Spring? Basically, is it possible to get an interview in the Spring (their deadline is in February), if I have the prereq pending? I hope that I can get an acceptance contingent upon a >C so that I make 2014 matriculation.

I'm a non trad applicant (25), so time is somewhat critical, but looks like I have no choice I guess.