Question... What are we allowed to prescribe as PGY1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drangue

Phase 1 collect underpants then phase 3 profit.
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
About to start next week and was just kind of curious what we’re allowed to prescribe as interns, who we can prescribe to, if its done through the hospital system or we get scratch pads. I think a lot of states and residency programs are different so that might be a factor but if anyone has any insight to add that would be cool.

*I am not talking about handing out Narcotics and Benzos to family members like they’re tic-tacs.*

Members don't see this ad.

First, let's get this one out of the way.... You shouldn't be prescribing anything to anyone that is not a patient of yours in the hospital/clinic. No abx, no SSRIs, no OCPs, no ACEIs...and definitely no scheduled meds of any sort. Nothing.

As to what you can prescribe (to your patients in the hospital and clinic)? Pretty much anything. Different states and hospitals will have different rules bout how these are actually handled. Most are electronic these days for non-CS. Many places (including all but 1 of the hospitals where I have privileges) allow eRx for CS with 2FA of one sort or another. I'm in my 6th year as an attending and I have never once, in the past 12 years, handwritten a prescription for anything.

Reactions: 1 users
As gutonc says, don't write prescriptions for anyone that's not your patient. You have a training license, which means you are only allowed to practice medicine under the supervision of an attending. If you're going to write a script for amoxicillin for your family member's child, then your attending better be seeing that patient.