question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cassiegal21

pharmacy frazzled
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here work for a mail order pharmacy,or for a Pharmacy that distrubutes to other health care facilities. For Example I work for a company the has several group homes for mentally ******ed people. They get all their medicines from a Pharmacy that puts all the medicine in little punch packets and delivers it to the group homes directly. I was wondering if anyone works for a place like that and what it is like and if the pay is similar to retail. just curious thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a rotation in a pharmacy that filled med boxes for three long-term care facilities and one halfway house for psychiatric patients. It was also a fully functional retail pharmacy, so it's not the only thing they did. It doesn't take all that long... it's not very exciting, but it is very mechanical work, so you have a chance to just chat while doing it. If you like the people you work with, it's fun because of it. :) I went in for the mandatory monthly review of patient profiles, too - that wasn't bad at all. I could do something like that on the side... you just come in, review a cartload of charts, you can go talk to patients if you want to/need to, but mostly you just sit in a room, review the charts, stamp them as reviewed and then make a report to the facility's director. For every patient, you suggest changes or write "no change recommended". The pharmacist who contracted to do the review said it was a nice supplemental income for not a lot of work.

Members don't see this ad :)
During my undergrad I volunteered in a community pharmacy which also filled these blister packs for nursing homes. It wasn't a big deal and it was far from exciting work. I think they spent half a day once per week doing this task. So, to answer your question regular community pharmacist do this and they don't get paid any extra to do so.

During my undergrad I volunteered in a community pharmacy which also filled these blister packs for nursing homes. It wasn't a big deal and it was far from exciting work. I think they spent half a day once per week doing this task. So, to answer your question regular community pharmacist do this and they don't get paid any extra to do so.

They do. They contract to provide this service for the nursing home. Doing something for free is a rather unviable business concept. :D

I don't work for one, but I'm aware of several "closed door" pharmacies like this. I actually get recruited about every 1-2 months for jobs in these places.

Some retail locations will do this in a small way, but they are ususally larger corporate pharmacies (Kindred, etc) who specialize in this business.

Just my personal opinion - its boring work (& since there is lots of turnover, others must think so as well). You check tech dispensing, do once a month chart reviews, track controlled drugs - ugh....!

But - there's a place for everyone - and yes, they do charge a fee for this service. Chart reviews are required by law here, so that is a separate billable fee. You can tack on an extra dispensing fee for the individual units of use, so the $$ of 30 days of medication is a bit higher in these places than in others. But - they've got you caught. If you're a pt in a SNF that has a tight agreement with a "closed door" pharmacy, you can't get your rxs any place else. Some are more lenient than others, but it depends on the licensing, who is giving the medication, etc...