Questions about becoming a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meganmac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to go on to college and my major is public health for what i originally wanted to do. However, I've decided becoming a pharmacist is what I want to do. How do I go about it now? The school I've chosen does have a pharmacy school. Do I change my major to biology? Can you apply to pharmacy school after two years with your biology major. I am just really unsure about how to go about this lol

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about to go on to college and my major is public health for what i originally wanted to do. However, I've decided becoming a pharmacist is what I want to do. How do I go about it now? The school I've chosen does have a pharmacy school. Do I change my major to biology? Can you apply to pharmacy school after two years with your biology major. I am just really unsure about how to go about this lol

Talk to an advisor get a list of pre Reqs and plan your semesters according to those. Just declare a generic science major. Do all the pre Reqs then apply with out BS. Most schools require AA with all pre Reqs.

First look up the prerequisite list for your school and a few other schools where you could see yourself applying. These are usually listed on the "Prospective Students" section of pharmacy schools' websites. Keep in mind that some courses must be taken in a certain sequence (think chemistry).

Next look up application deadlines for your potential schools and get some idea of when you should take the PCAT and start the application process. Start working towards that end.

Now add some extracurriculars. Clubs, leadership positions, research. The best is going to be some kind of realistic pharmacy experience. Keep in mind that you probably can't do everything, so pick a few things to really commit to.

Finally, major in whatever you want to major in. As long as you complete the prerequisites, your major matters none. Pick something that you could see yourself doing if you happen to change your mind or don't get into pharmacy school. Keep in mind that many (most?) of the applicants are going to be biology and chemistry majors (myself included), so if you want to look different from the crowd then majoring in something different is one way to do so.

Whether you can get in after 2 years or if a Bachelor's is required varies from school to school. Again, check their website.