Questions about Moday, March 12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisv

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions about the Monday before Match day...

1. How do we find out whether or not we matched at noon--via email from NRMP or do we log into the NRMP website (heard both)?

2. And we find out 12 pm (EST), right? Did anyone last year actually find out earlier?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Urban dictionary: Moday

1. :thumbdown:when you're at your boyfriend/girlfriend's house and you're making out (or anything else...) all day. A response when a nosy person asks you what you did. You respond "moday". It is the truth without going into too much detail for your boyfriend/girlfriend's liking.

2. :thumbdown:abbreviation for "make-out-day"

I have a few questions about the Monday before Match day...

1. How do we find out whether or not we matched at noon--via email from NRMP or do we log into the NRMP website (heard both)?

2. And we find out 12 pm (EST), right? Did anyone last year actually find out earlier?

thanks!

You find out at noon on Monday via email. You can, of course, also log onto the NRMP website and find out the same info as well.

Urban dictionary: Moday

1. :thumbdown:when you're at your boyfriend/girlfriend's house and you're making out (or anything else...) all day. A response when a nosy person asks you what you did. You respond "moday". It is the truth without going into too much detail for your boyfriend/girlfriend's liking.

2. :thumbdown:abbreviation for "make-out-day"

LOL:laugh:

You will find out both by email, or you can log into the NRMP website. In general, the emails tend to come a few minutes before noon -- you could imagine the insane number of phone calls that NRMP would get at 12:01 if people didn't have their email. So, they usually start sending them 5-10 minutes prior to noon. You'll be able to log in right at noon and see.

This year, it's less of a concern, since you can't actually apply to any programs until 1PM, and they can't download applications until 2PM.

Thanks you! You addressed exactly what I was thinking "in case I don't go matched...wanna start contacting programs ASAP."

And I think I'll just wait for the email since I'm sure everyone will be trying to log onto their website, and it'll be almost impossible.

You will find out both by email, or you can log into the NRMP website. In general, the emails tend to come a few minutes before noon -- you could imagine the insane number of phone calls that NRMP would get at 12:01 if people didn't have their email. So, they usually start sending them 5-10 minutes prior to noon. You'll be able to log in right at noon and see.

This year, it's less of a concern, since you can't actually apply to any programs until 1PM, and they can't download applications until 2PM.

Thanks you! You addressed exactly what I was thinking "in case I don't go matched...wanna start contacting programs ASAP."

And I think I'll just wait for the email since I'm sure everyone will be trying to log onto their website, and it'll be almost impossible.
... plus, you cannot contact programs directly. You can only send ERAS applications in SOAP. So, knowing 3 minutes earlier than everyone else (or finding out 3 minutes later than everyone else) doesn't matter.

I'm currently doing a rotation at a hospital about 1 hour away from my school/home . . . I'm also applying for a competitive field in which there is a slight chance I may not match. Would it behoove me to try to get that Monday off so I could remain at home and deal with SOAP stuff in the horrible event that I do not match?

I'm currently doing a rotation at a hospital about 1 hour away from my school/home . . . I'm also applying for a competitive field in which there is a slight chance I may not match. Would it behoove me to try to get that Monday off so I could remain at home and deal with SOAP stuff in the horrible event that I do not match?

I would do that in this situation

I would, but according to the letter of the law, everything is going through ERAS so unless you are having extra people write/edit a new PS, I don't think there is much utility to having a big war room like in years past with a zillion fax machines.

I would, but according to the letter of the law, everything is going through ERAS so unless you are having extra people write/edit a new PS, I don't think there is much utility to having a big war room like in years past with a zillion fax machines.

Well I guess I figured being close to my school where I could talk to anyone who could help (deans, heads of departments, etc) might be beneficial at least.

If it were me, I'd definitely be back at my school, but I was just pointing out logistically it shouldn't matter.

I think the "war room" will still be helpful, but it won't be for the purposes of having large numbers of obsolete (fax) machines at your disposal. It will more be to have people who will make phone calls on your behalf (in which case a well organized in advance virtual war room would likely suffice).

I think the "war room" will still be helpful, but it won't be for the purposes of having large numbers of obsolete (fax) machines at your disposal. It will more be to have people who will make phone calls on your behalf (in which case a well organized in advance virtual war room would likely suffice).
Note I said according to the letter of the law. That's technically illegal, but I'm sure it will happen.

I called NRMP a week or so ago and they informed me that they will NOT be emailing us on March 12. We have to log in ourselves to find out if we matched.

Note I said according to the letter of the law. That's technically illegal, but I'm sure it will happen.

No it's not. Applications and offers must remain inside SOAP. But there's no rule agains PDs contacting candidates/references or the references contacting PDs.

Even if it were verboten, it would be completely unenforceable.

No it's not. Applications and offers must remain inside SOAP. But there's no rule agains PDs contacting candidates/references or the references contacting PDs.

Even if it were verboten, it would be completely unenforceable.
http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/faq/us_seniors_faq.html#22D

How do I apply to or contact programs about unfilled positions during the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP)?

If you are eligible to participate in SOAP, you will apply to match-participating programs beginning at 2:00 p.m. eastern time on Monday of Match Week. You may apply to unfilled programs only through ERAS®, and you will be allowed access only to the categorical, preliminary, and/or advanced unfilled positions for which you are eligible. Other individuals or entities are prohibited from initiating contact on your behalf prior to contact from directors of unfilled programs.

... Other individuals or entities are prohibited from initiating contact on your behalf prior to contact from directors of unfilled programs.

agree, although faculty at different institutions who are friends may have a multitude of reasons to "initiate contact" with one another, during which this topic might happen to get casually brought up, and nobody will recall by whom. Just because a lot of business deals get completed at the links doesn't mean those folks didn't go there primarily to golf.

If you match to both prelim and an advanced programs. Will it tell you on Monday that "you have matched to both a one year position and an advanced position"? Or just that "you have fully matched" and this message goes for both categorical and pelim + advanced?

I called NRMP a week or so ago and they informed me that they will NOT be emailing us on March 12. We have to log in ourselves to find out if we matched.

Well, in that case, lets hope their servers are up to the task!

Can anyone else confirm or deny this? My class has gotten e-mails from our schools administrations specifically stating that we would be getting e-mails. However, this is completely contradictory information straight from the NRMP.

I can't confirm or deny it with any authority, but on their website it says that we'll have to log-in. It says nothing about getting an email which I think is a change from previous years. Annoying since it seems the NRMP's server doesn't handle everyone trying to log-in based on the day rank lists were due...Seriously why can't they keep the emails?

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/special_part/us_seniors/match_results.html

Take this as you will: I called NRMP yesterday and was told they would be sending out emails but could not guarantee when the emails would be received. So they said it would be better and likely faster to check the website. Very frustrating, as the rotation I'm on will have me nowhere near a computer at the appropriate time on Monday, and you can't log in to NRMP on an iPhone.

Take this as you will: I called NRMP yesterday and was told they would be sending out emails but could not guarantee when the emails would be received. So they said it would be better and likely faster to check the website. Very frustrating, as the rotation I'm on will have me nowhere near a computer at the appropriate time on Monday, and you can't log in to NRMP on an iPhone.

Yes, a very frustrating problem if they don't send out e-mails or they go out after noon. Almost all of us have access to our e-mails through our phones. But we can't look at the website through our phone. This makes it very important we all get to computers at noon, which isn't always possible on rotations. Plus, it's a recipe for disaster and it's like asking the website to go down at the time.

Download the opera mini app. You can login to NRMP with your iPhone using that app.

yup, or the firefox home app. as long as you have nrmp saved as a bookmark on your home firefox browser, you can access it through this app.

You can also access NRMP & ERAS from the "mercury" app on an iPhone.

Thanks everyone! I had tried another browser which wouldn't load, but the opera mini worked great. Good luck!

Thanks for the update on opera, works great!

At 12:00 p.m. on Monday, March 12, applicants will receive their Did I Match? information on the Web and by email.

Straight from the NRMP's mouth.

Last year I got an email titled "Did I Match?" at 11:55 am EST. I think the email came before I was able to log into the website so there's a chance you may hear via email before logging in.

I should say that looking at the timing though NRMP sent the email at 11:55 but my gmail email server didn't get it to me until about 11:58. It's totally going to be dependent on how fast the server is that receives the message as to whether or not you get it before noon. Gmail is pretty good. My med school's servers were notoriously slow at receiving emails.

According to eamil received from NRMP:

"At 12:00 p.m. on Monday, March 12, applicants willreceive their Did I Match? information on the Web and by email. Please refer to http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/special_part/ind_app/match_results.htmlfor the message you will see displayed on the Applicant Options page. The Regional Match Statistics by SpecialtyReport also will be available at 12:00 p.m. by clicking the My Reportstab. Applicants will be able to accesstheir certified rank order lists throughout Match Week."

I have been doing this for several years now. The email that tells me whether or not I filled always comes a few minutes before the official release time. Think about it from the NRMP's viewpoint -- they know that 1000's of people will call them immediately at 12 noon if they don't have their email match message, and/or will crash the server. They will send the emails out 5-10 minutes beforehand. This year, it matters less, since being the "first one on the phone" doesn't matter anymore, with SOAP. I expect they might send the emails a bit earlier.

Small question, I prematched and signed a letter of intent, I was asked to withdraw from the match (which I did); will I receive any type of message from the NRMP on monday at noon, or just expect the letter of appointment from the program?

Small question, I prematched and signed a letter of intent, I was asked to withdraw from the match (which I did); will I receive any type of message from the NRMP on monday at noon, or just expect the letter of appointment from the program?

Does it really matter?

Does it really matter?

It matters in the sense that I did not know if the NRMP acknowledges in any way the positions offered outside the match.
I was told I'd be receiving the formal contract on march along with all my future "homies", but I guess I was kind of nervous about how it all would go down...
PS: I'm an IMG so pardon me trying to blend in with some urban slang, I'm getting ready to communicate in the most effective way possible with all my future "peeps", you dig?? (or dug.. Not quite sure how you conjugate the term..)

It matters in the sense that I did not know if the NRMP acknowledges in any way the positions offered outside the match.
I was told I'd be receiving the formal contract on march along with all my future "homies", but I guess I was kind of nervous about how it all would go down...
PS: I'm an IMG so pardon me trying to blend in with some urban slang, I'm getting ready to communicate in the most effective way possible with all my future "peeps", you dig?? (or dug.. Not quite sure how you conjugate the term..)

You actually will get a response - its listed in the FAQ, something along the lines of you did not match because you withdrew.

Actually, not sure if this applies to you or not.

6. You are NOT matched because you are withdrawn!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who registered to participate in the Match but was withdrawn either by the medical school or by the NRMP. Applicants who are withdrawn because they are ineligible to enter graduate medical education on July 1 in the year of the match will not have access to the List of Unfilled Programs or be allowed to participate in the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program unless by 5:00 p.m. eastern time on the Wednesday prior to Match Week the applicant becomes eligible to enter graduate medical education on July 1 in the year of the match. Applicants who were withdrawn by the NRMP because they obtained positions through another matching service will not have access to the List of Unfilled Programs or be allowed to participate in the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program.

APD,
When do you find out where applicants who matched other places matched? I heard if you have them on your list, you are able to find out.

I'd assume they'd get those results on match day. No logical reason to delay them.

Just wondering about the SOAP for people who are couples matching. If one person matches but the other does not, is the person who didnt match eligible for the SOAP? Or would the person even know they didnt match if the other one did? Any clarification would be great. Thanks.

I was thinking they find out who they got on the Thursday. Curious if they find out everyone they ranked that day too.

They find out exactly which programs everyone on their lists matched to. Why they don't do something similar for us students, I don't know.

Source: Convo with a another program director

They find out exactly which programs everyone on their lists matched to.
Source: Convo with a another program director

It is known that program directors find out where everyone on their list matched. The question is whether they find out the day before the actual Match. It's already known that they find out with whom they matched the day before but we're wondering if they also find out about everyone else on the list that same day (Thursday).

I was thinking they find out who they got on the Thursday. Curious if they find out everyone they ranked that day too.
My mistake - didn't realize they get their results the day before. I'm sure they get the rest of the list the day before too then (same logic).