questions NOT to ask the older residency applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeowMix

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I am going to BEG those of you interviewing us to please stop asking me questions like this (even if they are thinly disguised in politically correct language):
1. are you going to follow my orders, even though you are 20 years older than me?
2. are you going to show up to work on time and work all night, at your advanced age (40+)?
3. are you really single and childless?

I'd just like some more imaginative questions. My resume, my clerkship grades, and my glowing LORs are telling you that I am reliable. Of course I know how to get up in the morning and do my job; I've been doing it for 25 years. And I have a great relationship and lots of friends; they just might not be relevant to my work.

Please.

Members don't see this ad.

4. What hobbies do you have?

(DID YOU EVEN GO TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!! I KILLED MY HOBBIES WEEK 2!):mad:

My husband and I matched last year in a famiy medicine program. He just turned 48 and I am turning 49 at the end of the month.

We are in our first year of family medicine residency.

One question they DID not have to "skirt" around? The pregnancy thing!!! I would tell them up front that children are in my past and any reasonable person would believe that.

Second it is just us. We have no family obligations other than "ourselves". It is hard to raise a family, have children with a demanding spouse while in residency. We don't have that. We are both in the same program and understand the demands of time and how tired your are when you get home. We don't get home to find ourselves "baby-sitting" because the spouse was "at home all day" doing nothing and needs to get out. We hae a guy in our program that is an older student as well. But, he has a stay at home wife with 3 children. When he gets off his 35 hour shift, he can't go home and sleep. Last week she had schedule a night at the fair. The poor man was close to psycotic the next day for lack of sleep.

Plus we both had "paying jobs" before we went to medical school and know how to deal with people and how to work and be responsible. Some of the residents you work with - well - this is their first job. They have never paid a bill without the help of "daddy". I saw one resident go "nuts" when he got his paycheck. He had no idea they took so much stuff out. He thougt they had "screwed" him. He just could not believe it until I showed him my paycheck which was even less because I had contributed to a retirement fund.

I can tell you that those 20 something younger than I am "flame" out before the night is up.

Exactly, WHAT FREAKING HOBBIES. My hobbies were studying for medical school, studying for the USMLE and doing rotations. It also takes money to have a "hobby". I would just make up some crap and tell them I would like to get back into learning to play golf etc.....

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, I am going to BEG those of you interviewing us to please stop asking me questions like this (even if they are thinly disguised in politically correct language):
1. are you going to follow my orders, even though you are 20 years older than me?
2. are you going to show up to work on time and work all night, at your advanced age (40+)?

I'd just like some more imaginative questions. My resume, my clerkship grades, and my glowing LORs are telling you that I am reliable. Of course I know how to get up in the morning and do my job; I've been doing it for 25 years. And I have a great relationship and lots of friends; they just might not be relevant to my work.

Please.

Actually those are legitimate concerns. The only one that's iffy is #3 which almost borders on illegal.

As a fellow "mature" residency applicant, I can understand a young Program Director or attending having concerns about older applicants, especially when there are younger ones with equal qualifications. Having done well in clerkships and courses isn't the same as being an intern with q4 call. In one of my out-rotations there was an intern in his late 40s and he had a heck of a time keeping up with the rigorous schedule.

We know that we kick ass as older med students, but they don't. ;)

MeowMix,

I think you're being a little over sensitive. Really, what does it matter what people ask? And if they don't ask, then they're still thinking it - wouldn't you rather they bring up any concerns they might have and allow you to address them?

We all make assumptions and judgements about others - including DO's, Caribbean grads, older med students / residents, etc - the easiest way to deal with other people is to address their concerns up front - even if that means answering a few politically incorrect questions.

My advice - get over it - after all, you're the one that decided to change careers later in life - do you really expect people to just view you as they view people straight out of college?

George85, 49 year old PGY3.

Please.

...Or, take some initiative and carry a small recording device into your residency interview. If you're asked such questions, sue and retire on the millions you are awarded. This is 2007, after all.

Please.
I think those questions tell more about the interviewer than anything - not take orders? :rolleyes: Who is intimidated by whom?

Despite your frustrations, I wish you the best of luck in your interviews and the Match.