Quick COMLEX PE question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freebird529

Reaction score
Taking my PE tomorrow afternoon. In typical fashion, am getting worked up about failing over something stupid. I know the top reason for failing is documenting you did something you didn't... Does this apply to assessment/plan too? If I talk through my assessment/plan with my patient, and while I'm writing my SOAP come up with another ddx or think of another test I want to order, can I put this in or do I have to discuss it with the patient in order to put it in the soap? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Taking my PE tomorrow afternoon. In typical fashion, am getting worked up about failing over something stupid. I know the top reason for failing is documenting you did something you didn't... Does this apply to assessment/plan too? If I talk through my assessment/plan with my patient, and while I'm writing my SOAP come up with another ddx or think of another test I want to order, can I put this in or do I have to discuss it with the patient in order to put it in the soap? Thanks!

Yes you can do that. You’re only required to propose one diagnosis to the patient, so give them a working diagnosis and plan and then wrap it up.

So while writing your note, if some other diagnosis or plan comes up on your mind, you should write “plan to rule out X disease” or write “plan to perform an ultrasound” even if you didn’t discuss it with your patient while in the room. There will be so many minute things or differentials and plans you will forget to tell my patients while in the room to which you can always type “ plan to blah blah blah” on your note. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do I have to wash my hands with soap and water at any point during encounter or can I use sanitizer both times? What did you guys do?