Quick question about chances and seeking advice about when to submit...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLC

A Punk Rock Country Doc
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a 4th year DO student, finalized the decision to do FM relatively recently; but 100% solid on the decision now. I had originally planned to do IM, and as a result I did both step's of the USMLE. I did well-ish on step-1 (high 220's), and haven't got step-2 score yet since I took it about 3 weeks ago.

On COMLEX-1 I did about 540; but just got COMLEX-2 back and had a pretty significant drop in score (~490). I know that there have been a lot of problems with scoring this year, but I also know that PD's in the ACGME probably won't know or care about that. It is what it is.

So am I royally screwed, and should I expect to get a lot of questions about this? If my USMLE-2 score is more in-line with my USMLE-1 score (which I think/hope it will be) will the COMLEX variance be a big deal? I attribute most of the performance to a very OMM heavy exam, and I really don't enjoy/understand/believe in OMM beyond the basics of ME and CS treatment. I was also in a bit of a lingering funk from the end of 3rd year and a bad experience on IM.

Please, anyone willing, I'd appreciate a comment on my status/competitiveness. I suspect (and hope) that I'm reading too much into things. But I honestly don't know.

Which brings me to my next question. I haven't submitted eras yet, I'm still waiting for one last letter to come in (should be any day now). Is it wise for me to wait till my step-2 score is in to submit, given my COMLEX situation? I'd expect that score soon.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I would submit right now if I were you, and update when you get your letter and your scores back. People are already getting interview offers, so better have your foot in there sooner rather than later before all the slots are taken.

Even with a drop in COMLEX score? You don't think it would be better to wait a week or so and see if my USMLE score went up or stayed at least level first?

Am I obsessing about the scores too much? 490 is below cutoff at some of the programs I looked at. Not most, but some.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess my opinion would be; how confident are you in your upcoming score? If it's the same, no improvement, you wasted the time waiting for it when you could have submitted. If you're fairly certain it will be stellar, then maybe it is worth it to wait. This is just my ideas, going off of the fact the the programs have to re-download your application to get updates, and who knows if they really do that.

I guess my opinion would be; how confident are you in your upcoming score? If it's the same, no improvement, you wasted the time waiting for it when you could have submitted. If you're fairly certain it will be stellar, then maybe it is worth it to wait. This is just my ideas, going off of the fact the the programs have to re-download your application to get updates, and who knows if they really do that.

That was my line of thinking.

I think my USMLE will be better. There was no OMM (obviously) and it's a notoriously better exam. I felt sorta numb and shell-shocked coming out of COMLEX, but a lot better after USMLE.

I still need the last two letter writers to upload to eras anyway, so I don't know if I can submit yet as it is.

The thing is: You can submit now, and then update if your score is good. You can hold it out if it's not. I'd submit and hope for interview invites now. I don't think it's as big of a deal as you think.

The thing is: You can submit now, and then update if your score is good. You can hold it out if it's not. I'd submit and hope for interview invites now. I don't think it's as big of a deal as you think.

Perhaps you are right. But I still have to wait for the letters, correct?

Unless they've changed it, no. Get everything you have in. When the letters come in, assign them. Programs constantly recheck/download new things.

Unless they've changed it, no. Get everything you have in. When the letters come in, assign them. Programs constantly recheck/download new things.

Great info. I'll double check with the faculty at my Sub-I tomorrow and get her advice. It seems as though I may have made the wrong assumption.

Thanks

Just my two cents, but I think you're more likely to be hurt by submitting late then by your current scores. If they like you enough, they'll have you interview, and then you can explain things. I doubt that one score will be what keeps you from getting an interview. IMHO, it doesn't seem like this is the specialty where they'll be obsessing over your scores as long as you can show that you'll pass your future boards (which you have).

Update, the residency coordinator at the sub-I I was doing told me to wait. That she couldn't review my app till it was complete anyway. This program and the other one in the same hospital system are very likely my #1 and 2 choices anyway.

So I waited, the letter finally came in on Wednesday this week, and I submitted last night. I got an invite to another program I'm very interested in right away this morning. And the coordinator at my sub-I told me she got my app this morning and that it was being processed immediately! They haven't begun sending out invites yet...

Thanks for everyone's advice. I appreciate it!