Quick Question about Phys and Calc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigBoosting

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've read around here, it doesn't matter if you take Trig-based or Calculus-based Physics, which is all good.

My question is in the Fall I'm currently signed up for Cal I and Cal-based Physics I.

I took and passed Calculus with a "C" about 5 years ago for my first undergrad degree.

I'm not really expecting too much in the way of US MD schools, though I'll still apply to some. I think I have a better shot at DO or Caribbean MD. So should I not bother retaking Calculus and drop down to Trig-based Physics? Or should I retake it and stay in Cal-based Phys?

I know retaking Cal will boost my DO applications GPA, but honestly I had so much trouble with it the first time around, I don't know if I should risk getting a B, or even another C.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've read around here, it doesn't matter if you take Trig-based or Calculus-based Physics, which is all good.

My question is in the Fall I'm currently signed up for Cal I and Cal-based Physics I.

I took and passed Calculus with a "C" about 5 years ago for my first undergrad degree.

I'm not really expecting too much in the way of US MD schools, though I'll still apply to some. I think I have a better shot at DO or Caribbean MD. So should I not bother retaking Calculus and drop down to Trig-based Physics? Or should I retake it and stay in Cal-based Phys?

I know retaking Cal will boost my DO applications GPA, but honestly I had so much trouble with it the first time around, I don't know if I should risk getting a B, or even another C.

Thanks

I don't know about how your classes were set up, but for me, calc-based physics seemed much easier than trig-based physics. I think it had something to do with the fact that the trig-based physics class was a "weed-out" class for physics majors at my physics. As for your predicament, are you really good at Calc or physics? If not, and you're not confident that you'll get a B or higher, then don't retake it. A C means you've passed the class. Why spend time and money on it or risk failing it again if you're not so sure that you'll improve?

I don't know about how your classes were set up, but for me, calc-based physics seemed much easier than trig-based physics. I think it had something to do with the fact that the trig-based physics class was a "weed-out" class for physics majors at my physics. As for your predicament, are you really good at Calc or physics? If not, and you're not confident that you'll get a B or higher, then don't retake it. A C means you've passed the class. Why spend time and money on it or risk failing it again if you're not so sure that you'll improve?

At my school, success in all of the math and science classes tends to be professor-dependent. Especially in Calculus (I know, I had it 3 times haha. W's the first 2 because there's no way I would pass, and got by with a C the last time). Basically all the profs are too foreign or too smart to teach, if that makes sense. I'd be scared of getting another bad one.

Reading the professor reviews for trig-based and cal-based, it seems touch-and-go as to whether you'll have a good professor. There seems to be 3 bad ones and 2 good ones. And unfortunately, on the system we sign up for classes on, the professors are listed as "TBA" for Phys and Cal. They do that I believe since they know no one would sign up for the un-passable professors :laugh:

I think it's kind of a toss-up for what the easier class will be. So I'm kinda not sure what to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, success in all of the math and science classes tends to be professor-dependent. Especially in Calculus (I know, I had it 3 times haha. W's the first 2 because there's no way I would pass, and got by with a C the last time). Basically all the profs are too foreign or too smart to teach, if that makes sense. I'd be scared of getting another bad one.

Reading that, I think it might be better if you avoid retaking it. If it took you three tries to pass, I think retaking it again is too risky especially when you don't know the professors.

You're right I'm sure. So since I won't take Cal, I should probably get out of Cal-based Physics since I can't remember anything from 5 years ago and getting a C in the class. Trig-based it is.

For me, calc based physics was easier, but that is because I am not good at the 'just trust me, this is the way the world works' mentality. I needed the calc for the physics to really make sense. I TA'd both, and we had excellent profs in both, but I know I would have done far worse in trig based physics (I have also never actually formally had trig. Went from adv algebra to calc.)

coming from someone who has taken a trig based physics class and then later went on to learn applications in calculus, i have to say that once you learn calculus, it will make preparing for the physical sciences test on the mcat much easier... whereas trig based physics grads are going to be memorizing countless equations for classical mechanics, if you have a good handle on how to apply calculus to a physics problem, you wont need to devote so much time memorizing equations... you just write your own...