quick question about ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdsn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting dental school this august and was curious, does everyone in the class know where everyone else stands (ranking wise). do they post a flier or something with everyones name and class ranking or do they use student id numbers. or does it say on ur transcript after each completed semeseter? id think it would be nice to know where everyone stands in case you need to know how much you need to improve to be where u want to be.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In those schools thank rank students, the rank is usually on the transcript. It is only told to you, it is not public information that everyone in your class knows (unless you make it known).

I am not sure I understand your reason for wanting to know peoples ranks. You say "it would be nice to know where everyone stands in case you need to know how much you need to improve to be where u want to be." So does that mean that you dont try to do well, and then if you see your rank is poor, so then you start to work hard? Or maybe there is this one kid in the class that you hate and you want to do better than them - so if they are ahead of you, then you will start to do better to beat them. That does not make sense to me. You should be trying to learn as much as you can and do your best, regardless of your rank and everyone else's. Your goal should always be to do the best that you can, forget about everyone else.

mdsn said:
I'm starting dental school this august and was curious, does everyone in the class know where everyone else stands (ranking wise). do they post a flier or something with everyones name and class ranking or do they use student id numbers. or does it say on ur transcript after each completed semeseter? id think it would be nice to know where everyone stands in case you need to know how much you need to improve to be where u want to be.

thanks

At UNC, we have secret numbers that our test scores are posted by, so you can see how you did in comparison to the class for that test, but you don't know who is associated with which number. Many of our professors will also post the final grade by our secret number too, but some make you come see them to get it. Most dental students here (myself included) don't want everyone to know what they scored on a test or in a class from my experience.

Of course, you could just forget all this and get a straight A's :)
Then you wouldn't have to worry about where you stand....jk.

Actually we can also go talk to our "registrar" as she tracks our class ranking. She will only tell you what your rank is though not other peoples rank (at least I don't think she would).

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
At IUSD deans list consists of the top 10% for that semester. So for first semester it was easy to figure out who the top ten were, but after that there is no information released. We are also given our own class rank when we get our transcripts.

grtuck said:
At UNC, we have secret numbers that our test scores are posted by, so you can see how you did in comparison to the class for that test, but you don't know who is associated with which number. Many of our professors will also post the final grade by our secret number too, but some make you come see them to get it. Most dental students here (myself included) don't want everyone to know what they scored on a test or in a class from my experience.

Of course, you could just forget all this and get a straight A's :)
Then you wouldn't have to worry about where you stand....jk.

Actually we can also go talk to our "registrar" as she tracks our class ranking. She will only tell you what your rank is though not other peoples rank (at least I don't think she would).

Hope that helps.

Actually Gary not sure if you knew it but this is how UNC breaks down their ranking. You are never specifically told you are x out of 79 students in the class. They tell you by %, so you are either in the top 5%, top 10%, top 20%, top 40% etc. To some people this is a bit unfair IMO....if someone happens to fall say 20th out of 79 students, all their transcript will say is that they were in the top 40th %.

For me I never wanted to know where I stood because it would have created unnecessary stress. Do your best, it is out of your control what other people do. You should know within yourself if you are working hard enough by the grades you are earning and your satisfaction with that. I don't see why the grades of others matter.

For the 1st time I got my class rank last week, spring of 3rd year. I will be applying to PASS this summer and wanted to know where I stood, even though the final rank that counts is end of this summer (just get all As till then nothing changes :) ) Let's just say it was a good week for me :thumbup:

ucla said they only keep internal ranking for scholarship purposes.
and we have that epr system for top 10% of the class.
but as everybody knows, there are a lot more stuff worth concerning than just grades and gpa.

DcS said:
Actually Gary not sure if you knew it but this is how UNC breaks down their ranking. You are never specifically told you are x out of 79 students in the class. They tell you by %, so you are either in the top 5%, top 10%, top 20%, top 40% etc. To some people this is a bit unfair IMO....if someone happens to fall say 20th out of 79 students, all their transcript will say is that they were in the top 40th %.

For me I never wanted to know where I stood because it would have created unnecessary stress. Do your best, it is out of your control what other people do. You should know within yourself if you are working hard enough by the grades you are earning and your satisfaction with that. I don't see why the grades of others matter.

For the 1st time I got my class rank last week, spring of 3rd year. I will be applying to PASS this summer and wanted to know where I stood, even though the final rank that counts is end of this summer (just get all As till then nothing changes :) ) Let's just say it was a good week for me :thumbup:

Actually I was aware of that, but I was quite unclear about it in my post. Thank you for clearing that up though. I am glad to hear you are happy with your rank, you deserve it. Hopefully we'll both be taking some classes (those that are interrelated) together in the fall of 2006 :)

Also, I agree with Dave as far as just doing your best. That is for sure the way to go. Good post man.