Quick Second Look Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han14tra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've decided on my #1 choice!! The problem is that I have a second look there later this week. I scheduled it about 3 weeks ago when I was still trying to decide. Since then, I've spoken to numerous residents and alumni of the program. I've gotten all of my questions answered. Nothing could change my mind at this point. They are my #1. PERIOD. :love:

I know they are making rank decisions this week. But, I can't really tell them they're my #1 until after my second look, can I? I don't want to cancel it because I know they went through a lot of trouble trying to schedule it. Also, it's really close to home so it's not costing me anything to go for a second look. But, I really want to tell them now that they are my #1. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I've decided on my #1 choice!! The problem is that I have a second look there later this week. I scheduled it about 3 weeks ago when I was still trying to decide. Since then, I've spoken to numerous residents and alumni of the program. I've gotten all of my questions answered. Nothing could change my mind at this point. They are my #1. PERIOD. :love:

I know they are making rank decisions this week. But, I can't really tell them they're my #1 until after my second look, can I? I don't want to cancel it because I know they went through a lot of trouble trying to schedule it. Also, it's really close to home so it's not costing me anything to go for a second look. But, I really want to tell them now that they are my #1. What should I do?

Why can't you tell them they are you're #1 now? Send them a short email if it makes you feel better (although many people have said this won't affect your ranking). It doesn't hurt to go to the 2nd look since you've already scheduled it and they've made arrangements and you're not spending any money on going. It might be a little rude to cancel at the last minute.

Personally, I'd cancel it. Second looks take time and money. My assumption is that after interview season (and 4 years of med school), you're short on at least one of those.

I know people say the "#1 email" doesn't mean anything, and it certainly may not, but I think you could certainly send an email saying something like: I've decided that I am going to rank your program #1, as such, my second look scheduled for XXXX is superfluous and I was hoping to cancel it....."

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah - cancel it. Let them know you got all your questions answered. You appreciate them helping you set up the visit, but you've decided to make them your top choice. I guarantee they won't hold it against you.

Congratulations.

But I can't figure out if this is a serious question or if you're poking fun at fellow neurotic med students....I'm kind of hoping for the latter in all honesty.

Personally, I'd cancel it. Second looks take time and money. My assumption is that after interview season (and 4 years of med school), you're short on at least one of those.

I know people say the "#1 email" doesn't mean anything, and it certainly may not, but I think you could certainly send an email saying something like: I've decided that I am going to rank your program #1, as such, my second look scheduled for XXXX is superfluous and I was hoping to cancel it....."

Agree with this.

Why can't you tell them they are you're #1 now? Send them a short email if it makes you feel better (although many people have said this won't affect your ranking). It doesn't hurt to go to the 2nd look since you've already scheduled it and they've made arrangements and you're not spending any money on going. It might be a little rude to cancel at the last minute.

This is what I did. It's what the Dean/Specialty Adviser also suggested. I know the PC put some time into setting it up, so I didn't just want to say "Sorry, I changed my mind. I won't be needing that second look after all."

His/her second look is at his/her #1.