Quickest way to be a dental assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student1982

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anybody know how to become a dental assistant without going through the program to get the certificate. In Texas, I can just study for the certification test, attend a 1 day class, and then take the test for the certification. However, I'm moving to Tennessee in 6 months and they require me to 1) been a dental assistant for a year in another state or 2) attend the dental assistant school to obtain the certification. I think its ******ed to go through dental assistant school because you can learn everything on the job in 1-2 wks. Also the dental assistant programs at these technical schools is like a whole frickin year. Also, they said that you can also get the certification from a dental society or some sort. Anyone know anything about that? In states that require dental assistant to be certified, do the dentists usually demand to see the certificate? Do yall think if I get certified in texas then move to tennessee will it be enought to get hired?
thanks for any replies

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anybody know how to become a dental assistant without going through the program to get the certificate. In Texas, I can just study for the certification test, attend a 1 day class, and then take the test for the certification. However, I'm moving to Tennessee in 6 months and they require me to 1) been a dental assistant for a year in another state or 2) attend the dental assistant school to obtain the certification. I think its ******ed to go through dental assistant school because you can learn everything on the job in 1-2 wks. Also the dental assistant programs at these technical schools is like a whole frickin year. Also, they said that you can also get the certification from a dental society or some sort. Anyone know anything about that? In states that require dental assistant to be certified, do the dentists usually demand to see the certificate? Do yall think if I get certified in texas then move to tennessee will it be enought to get hired?
thanks for any replies

From my standpoint as an employer of 4 dental assistants (all CDA's), it's not the CDA certification that means the most, its the radiology certification. In many areas, a local dentist will take in a prospective dental assistant and train them from scratch, and then have the trained assistant take the radiology exam.

you have to look at the state regulations...does it require you to be certified to be a dental assistant in an office.

Dr.Jeff works in NY and I am from California, and in both states you do not need to be certified to be a dental assistant. You can apply for a job with no formal training. You just might not get the job if a lot of more qualified, experienced assistants are also a pplying. I would, however, at least get your x-ray certification and coronal polishing certification. These can be obtained by taking a one-weekend course at most dental assisting schools.