About the ads

Quoted: Concern about MS3 psych rotation

Discussion in 'Confidential Consult' started by Tildy, May 2, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Tildy

Tildy 12 yrs old, feels like 84 Moderator SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    Faculty SDN Published Author hSDN Member SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I don't have the answer for this, but I'd do what you're most comfortable with, even if the learning experience is slightly less
  2. peppy

peppy Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    As a psychiatry resident, I would encourage you to give the inpatient rotation a chance if that is where the best teachers are. I've worked with a good number of medical students on inpatient psych and most seem to find it a fun experience even if they don't want to go into psych (our inpatient unit luckily has some very friendly attendings who are good teachers). I'm not sure how much you were exposed to inpatient psychiatry because of your family member's illness, but it's been my experience that often people who haven't had a chance to see inpatient psych as it really is picture it as being worse or scarier than it actually is.
    It's not unusual to feel uneasy at first on the inpatient unit because it is a different kind of environment, but you're going to see these patients in EVERY specialty ( mentally ill patients still have primary care doctors and sometimes need surgery, etc. ) so the inpatient unit is a great place to learn to become comfortable dealing with this population in a controlled environment. If you're planning on a specialty that involves patient contact, I think that having a good foundation in psych will serve you well.
    Hope that helps with your decision.
  3. O2Doc

O2Doc

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I did both inpatient and consulting psych rotations, and man, my experience on inpatient sucked. I was pretty much used to do the physical exams that were technically necessary for admission, but that everyone knew would be ok because someone in the ED already pre-screened the patient. They just needed a warm body to put stethoscope to chest.

Both consult service and outpatient psych OTOH were were interesting, and I say that as someone with no real interest in psych.

Not saying your inpatient service would suck like that, and as a med student you probably wouldn't be used to examine patients anyways. But find out why the students who recommend either option do so.