quoted: Probation during residency and credentialing

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted for a member. Let's see if folks with actual experience or knowledge such as aPD respond.

Hello. I am currently in my final year of residency and on the job application/interview trail. Before this residency, I was a resident in a different specialty far removed from this one. I spent a year in it, did quite poorly and was placed on probation. My performance didn't improve and I eventually resigned at the end of that year rather than get dismissed by the program. I started over in a totally different specialty, did very well and even got promoted to chief resident at my program. Five years have gone by and I have had nothing but stellar reviews from all attendings and rotations at this program.

My question is, as I fill out application forms for various employers for credentialing, they all ask about prior disciplinary action during residency. There's always some variation of "have you ever been subject to disciplinary action, placed on probation, etc, etc"

I will obviously include in my application the fact that I was in this prior specialty for one year even if I'm not going to practice in that specialty. Does anyone have any idea as to how this will affect my chances for employment within my specialty? How deep do they dig into training that isn't pertinent to my field of practice? I'm trying to figure out what and how much I need to say as an explanation on the applications, if anything at all. What kind of details do they gather during the verification process? Would they call the PD from the other residency?

Any help would be so welcome. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I don't know how much that would affect the chance of employment but if I were you, i would tell what happen and let credentialing office and the future employer to decide.I believe when you apply for licensing in any state, there is also question on this matter and is mandatory to report it since sooner or later , they will find out. I am sure there are ppl who are in similar situation and still able to get license and work.

posted in response anonymously

I have a similar "black mark" on my record (although mine was with the state - not an academic/institutional problem). Bizarrely, a person in another specialty at the same place talked about me here on SDN - I had seen her and knew her directly (although peripherally), but we'd never ever talked about me or my issue, so I don't know if she intentionally knew that I was on SDN. What she had posted was that "everyone knew", but, if they did, no one 1. ever asked/said anything or 2. treated me differently (as far as I could tell).

However, as for credentialing and licensing, you have to disclose it. Period. Be expansively honest about it; if you are even deferential, alarm bells will ring, and that will cast you in a suspicious light. If a person that is looking has to draw it out of you, without you volunteering, things can rapidly become acrimonious. Rapidly.

It's likely to very likely that you will have to meet with a committee for a state medical board (if not the entire board); likewise, credentialing committees are more likely than not to want to meet with you in person before extending those credentials. (I had to meet with one committee, and was credentialed without further delay, but the other approved me without a personal visit).

If asked about it on a state license application, you will have two options: "No", or "Yes" - and, with "Yes", you'll have to explain. For all my experience, I can't think of a single application for anything for any jurisdiction/location/instance where I would be able to say "No". If you do decide to say "No", and believe it doesn't apply, and someone disagrees later on, if it's on the state level, you could end up with censure or an order from the state, and an ensuing entry in the NPDB. On the local level, you could be declined credentials, and/or refused to be credentialed as a provider for each insurer (such as Medicaid, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Medicare, and other private insurers), which may void your contract to work.

This is not the time to rationalize. Better to overshare than under. And any time you've entered into GME is fair game. Best of luck.

Although it seems like a waste of post space, I'll add that I agree with the above. Now that you've been successful in a different residency, trying to hide problems in a prior residency can cause you great grief. Be very open and honest. It will certainly slow your licensing / credentialing process, but better that then having your license yanked when they discovered that you were less than truthful = fraud.