Pharmacy Residency

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Question for a friend: failed a rotation during APPE year for not even a valid reason, the preceptor was just very unreasonable, it was nothing to do with clinical ability, etc. What are the chances to get a PGY2 residency? Currently PGY1 resident and just curious what PGY2 programs look at and if this will be an issue as a candidate when applying and through interviews.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Yes a PGY1 pharmacy resident!
Going to address directly to your "friend." It depends a lot on what your transcript looks like. Did you have to remediate or take another rotation? Does the F still show on your transcript and is it included in your GPA calculation?

Odds are that most PGY2 programs will not carefully review your transcript. They might if they have some reason to (like a low GPA). Many PGY2 programs will also not look at GPA either. I would say your odds of a PGY2 will depend a lot more on how your PGY1 is going than on that one rotation.

The F is on my transcript, it did not affect my GPA, since they are pass fail rotations. And I just had to take another rotation to be able to graduate in time with the requirements needed, I did not remediate that specific rotation.

The rotation that was not passed had nothing to do with the specialty I want to pursue.

Should I bring it up at all in my letter of intent? I am in great outstanding with my PGY1 right now, but just do not want to loose my chances of getting an interview due to it. Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks so much for responding!
Honestly, I wouldn't address it in your letter of intent. I seriously doubt many PGY2 programs will be looking at your transcript at all. They may never notice and I don't think it is worth drawing attention to. The only real reason you would address it is that you wanted to talk about the reason you failed and how you have now overcome that problem.