Qvault - distinguishing polar from ionic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FeralisExtremum

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in the question below, to distinguish a polar compound from an ionic compound: why isn't the magnet answer valid? The answer explanation just says "many polar compounds are not magnetic", and I would also expect ionic compounds to be magnetic, which makes the magnet strategy seem like it could be used to differentiate between them. Are ionic compounds not attracted to magnets either?
sKJw98D.png

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not 100 percent sure and not a chemist but I'm assuming not because a compound like NaCl table salt is not magnetic and yet ionic.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe it's because ionic bonds form Ions in solution and by that definition, all ionic bonds will conduct electricity when dissolved. So even if some ionic compounds are magnetic, if testing an unknown, then it will be better to test for something ALL ionic bonded compounds have in common.

Usually only ferromagnetic elements are attracted to metal : iron, nickel, and cobalt.

The best answer is D because when you are running it in a solution, the compound will break into two ions. These ions are positively charge and negatively charge, so an electric current of any charge will attract one of these elements. As for polar compound, they will not break into ions.

Members don't see this ad :)
So in the question below, to distinguish a polar compound from an ionic compound: why isn't the magnet answer valid? The answer explanation just says "many polar compounds are not magnetic", and I would also expect ionic compounds to be magnetic, which makes the magnet strategy seem like it could be used to differentiate between them. Are ionic compounds not attracted to magnets either?
sKJw98D.png
Ionic compounds usually dissociate into ions... Upon forming ions, the solution can conduct electricity quite well. Polar molecules are not very good electrical conductors since ions are not produced in any appreciable amount. Here is a great example,,,,,Pure water is polar......but a poor electrical conductor. If salt is dissolved in the water,,,,,WATCH OUT !!!! ZAP !!!!

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jim Romano

I think we understand why solutions and electrical currents is the right answer but the original question for feralis was why the magnet doesn't work. Can anyone confirm that ionic solutions just aren't all magnetic either?

I'd like to know this too!

I think we understand why solutions and electrical currents is the right answer but the original question for feralis was why the magnet doesn't work. Can anyone confirm that ionic solutions just aren't all magnetic either?

I'd like to know this too!

As a general rule of thumb.....magnetism results when electrons are UNPAIRED,,,,,,consider NaCl for example.....we see Na+ ions and Cl- ions......neither have unpaired electrons....thus will not be magnetic. Again....the best way to decide if something is ionic is to place it in solution and examine the electrical conductivity.

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 users