Radiology to Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letmebe

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is an odd post but pls allow it. Unbiased and honest opinions are super appreciated.

I’m an R2 (PGY-3) in radiology. I’ve been having buyer’s remorse for a bit and it has not improved, unfortunately. While the job market is great once one is done with residency, I have a hard time envisioning myself working in solitude on a computer for endless hours for the rest of my life. I want a little more human interaction. IR is an option but it’s also a brutal specialty. I’ve been flirting with the idea of switching specialties, but it pains me that I’d have to throw away 2-years of radiology training and possibly a slightly higher salary. I liked physiology and really enjoy the few procedures I get to do in diagnostic radiology, but I want more. This, coupled with my desire to have a career that’s more tailored towards learning by doing (for the most part) vs learning by endless reading/studying, makes me want to make that switch even more. Admittedly, I picked rads cause I did not really know what to go into and it felt like it would give the best lifestyle. This now feels like a mistake in hindsight.

I’m not worried about AI so please don’t use this as a point for or against radiology.

My question - if you were in my shoes, do you think sacrificing two years of training and the radiology lifestyle is worth it to make the switch to anesthesia?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would stick it out with rads. All my medical school classmates who went into rads are finishing fellowships now and getting offers for 500k+ working 40 hrs a week no nights.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
It’s the rest of your life - where you will spend most if your waking hours… only you know how much you hate radiology.
I make more than my radiologist buddy but I work more too and have more stress and liability. That said I’m at a level one trauma center so there are certainly easier jobs.
Two years is nothing in the big picture - only you know how much you don’t like rads.
Does your program have an anesthesia residency? Go talk to one of the residents

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Imo, stay put. I love my job and profession, but not for the price of the opportunity cost of at least two more PGY years. Then again, I left a professional school a year in to go back to medical school. Sometimes, you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Reactions: 1 users
My 2 cents: don’t leave one hospital-based specialty for another ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I actually switched from Radiology to Anesthesia.

I disliked residency (in both fields). However, I am happy as an attending anesthesiologist.

Since rads requires fellowship (mostly), you could probably finish in the same amount of time.

I would do some shadowing (if your program is ok with it) and really find out if you like the field. Make sure its not residency culture/toxic environment/personal life/CORE exam issues causing your discontent (anesthesia boards are more involved).

I do get the dislike of radiology isolation (staring at images/cranking out reports at a high volume). But maybe it gets better as an attending?

I would stick it out with rads. All my medical student classmates who went into rads are finishing fellowships now and getting offers for 500k+ working 40 hrs a week no nights.

But to go along with OPs questions, would you take that job if it required you to be sitting down all day staring at a computer?

dont switch. maybe you'll get to work from home as a radiologist haha.

you dont have to sit all day. you can read while standing. also your work day is usually much shorter, and usually dont work as many weekends so you actually have plenty of time to not sit at a desk.

I would stick it out with rads. All my medical student classmates who went into rads are finishing fellowships now and getting offers for 500k+ working 40 hrs a week no nights.

Yeah that's the case now but may not be the case when he finishes in five years. Five years ago the rads market was a ****show.

Grass isn’t any greener over here. Get to whatever gets you making the most money the fastest. Work hard, save as much as possible, and GTFO of medicine as fast as you can.

Reactions: 10 users
@ucladoc2b - did you switch before or after starting radiology residency? And if you can be brutally honest, do you feel like it was definitely the right move vs you would have been ok with either vs some regret?

But to go along with OPs questions, would you take that job if it required you to be sitting down all day staring at a computer?
Let me introduce you to my Cerner anesthesia record and the billing software on my iPad.

Only YOU know how much you do or don’t like Rads. As for anesthesiology, it’ll eventually get boring/routine for you, as well. All the “hospital-based” issues of contracts/management co’s/hospital admin, will be as bad or worse with Anesthesia.

Money is going to be fine, either way.

Ask yourself how hard you wanna work on holidays/nights/weekends in 20 years....

Just make sure that when you're deciding, you're comparing attending lifestyles of both fields, not residency. I love anesthesiology, but I think radiology would be my second choice if I had to pick something else. They're very different though. One downside they both have in common is that you'll never be the hero or quarterback. You're more like the offensive lineman... crucially important but not generally regarded as a superstar.

Also consider that while you're looking for more excitement, anesthesiology can be a lot of excitement. While it's usually pretty chill when things are going smoothly, there's a lot of responsibility and high-pressure situation at times. Make sure you're good at handling anxiety and ready for that if you want to go into anesthesiology.

You definitely don't need a fellowship for anesthesiology, and if you've done an intern year already, you might be able to finish in just three years, so it might not be a horrible choice for you. That said, make sure you're not being too picky either. You'll probably find some things you don't like about anesthesiology too. Only you can know how little you like radiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was very interested in radiology in med school, and that isolation / lack of interaction is one of the key reasons I didn’t even consider it after rotating. One of the things I love about anesthesiology is the OR camaraderie.

BUT agree with everyone else that this is a big decision and if there’s a way to be happy in rads, would do that first. Spend some time talking to anesthesiology residents and attendings if you can.

Also worth mentioning is that anesthesiology pay very much includes call - and I would guess that our calls are more involved and exhausting than rads. I am in house on call, for example, and cannot plan to get sleep (though sometimes I do). I think the lifestyle balance is probably way, way more in radiology’s favor. You can avoid call as an anesthesiologist for sure, but it involves a pay cut.

@ucladoc2b - did you switch before or after starting radiology residency? And if you can be brutally honest, do you feel like it was definitely the right move vs you would have been ok with either vs some regret?

I completed R1.

During residency sometimes I would regret it.

As an attending, I haven’t given it a second thought.

I was very interested in radiology in med school, and that isolation / lack of interaction is one of the key reasons I didn’t even consider it after rotating. One of the things I love about anesthesiology is the OR camaraderie.

BUT agree with everyone else that this is a big decision and if there’s a way to be happy in rads, would do that first. Spend some time talking to anesthesiology residents and attendings if you can.

Also worth mentioning is that anesthesiology pay very much includes call - and I would guess that our calls are more involved and exhausting than rads. I am in house on call, for example, and cannot plan to get sleep (though sometimes I do). I think the lifestyle balance is probably way, way more in radiology’s favor. You can avoid call as an anesthesiologist for sure, but it involves a pay cut.

Agree with most of this…except for anesthesia call being harder than rads.

Rads is pretty much guaranteed to be up most/all night.

And likely much more difficult to not feel sleepy in a dark room sitting at a computer than a cold OR on your feet.

Hi everyone, this is an odd post but pls allow it. Unbiased and honest opinions are super appreciated.

I’m an R2 (PGY-3) in radiology. I’ve been having buyer’s remorse for a bit and it has not improved, unfortunately. While the job market is great once one is done with residency, I have a hard time envisioning myself working in solitude on a computer for endless hours for the rest of my life. I want a little more human interaction. IR is an option but it’s also a brutal specialty. I’ve been flirting with the idea of switching specialties, but it pains me that I’d have to throw away 2-years of radiology training and possibly a slightly higher salary. I liked physiology and really enjoy the few procedures I get to do in diagnostic radiology, but I want more. This, coupled with my desire to have a career that’s more tailored towards learning by doing (for the most part) vs learning by endless reading/studying, makes me want to make that switch even more. Admittedly, I picked rads cause I did not really know what to go into and it felt like it would give the best lifestyle. This now feels like a mistake in hindsight.

I’m not worried about AI so please don’t use this as a point for or against radiology.

My question - if you were in my shoes, do you think sacrificing two years of training and the radiology lifestyle is worth it to make the switch to anesthesia?
I think you should go the IR route. I say this not because the money is better or the lifestyle is easier but rather the work is much more challenging. I think the combo of IR/DR is the route forward for you. As for being "brutal" you can find cushy IR jobs post residency that don't involve Trauma call or Stroke work.
There is a need for basic IR docs out there who make a good living doing it. The easy money today is DR but who knows what just 5-7 years holds for DR. The need for IR is real and not going away so think longer term and big picture.

I think any field can feel unfulfilling. Hard decision. If Yoj can switch into anesthesia without a gap year and jump right into a CA2 slot than I say do it, you’ll never have that regret of not going for it, and the opportunity cost would be minimal as Yoj could get general anesthesia training done in 3 years plus the 3 years yojve already put in.

Honestly, this is a pretty tough situation for me. Part of me wants to just become an attending and have a salary and move on with life. But the other part of me is refusing to come to terms with a future of just dictating alone in the darkness for forever. If I don't make the switch, I might have to shoot for IR like was suggested. I don't know if I'll get it, but it might be my only option. If I don't get it, I might have to throw away 4-years of rads training if I end up being forced into diagnostics and desiring a switch afterwards. Having diagnostic knowledge is cool and I highly respect the field, but being laser focused without making mistakes or seeing people for 10 hours is insane to me.

Also, I don't know if any decent program would even consider me. And I could see my PD and faculty freaking out if I were to ever bring it up. I'm not sure how supportive they'll be. I just want to decide soon and be sure before I burn my bridges by bringing it up to my program. It's truly such a hard decision..

For everyone saying only I know how much I dislike the nature of the job, I think my dislike for it matches many people on here who did not consider rads for that reason. This is why I was asking if you were in my shoes what would you do. I appreciate all the helpful responses.

I mean sitting around in the dark for a laparoscopic case in front of a computer plus vent isn't much different

Reactions: 5 users
I mean sitting around in the dark for a laparoscopic case in front of a computer plus vent isn't much different

Eh, I think it’s different. I enjoy joking around with the OR staff and surgeons while doing cases, even as an introvert. It’s just enough social interaction for me personally, and I can always retreat to the darkness behind the drapes if I get tired of people.

• Haha
The way I see it, anything becomes routine or monotonous overtime. Do you think that the accountant is pumped about going to work every day to sit in front of the computer? Nah. They go to work to do a job to pay the bills so they can enjoy their lives outside of work. I think radiology can be that same thing.

Take a quiet radiology job at a non-trauma center that has 12 weeks off. Eventually transition to 80% of full time if you're not satisfied. You'll still make a great livable income and have plenty of time to enjoy your free time/personal life.

Last edited:
Agree with most of this…except for anesthesia call being harder than rads.

Rads is pretty much guaranteed to be up most/all night.

i dont know how radiologists can read 24 hours in a row on call. it feels pretty mental to me. im glad sometimes the cases are chill at 3am, because a lot of it is muscle memory. but reading complicated trauma abd pelvis CTs at 3am seems tiring.

but 24 hr calls are definitely tiring as hell, especially near the later parts of your career. i just worked for almost a decade and its already exhausting working 24 hrs a in a row. and it takes days to recover

Reactions: 4 users
i dont know how radiologists can read 24 hours in a row on call. it feels pretty mental to me. im glad sometimes the cases are chill at 3am, because a lot of it is muscle memory. but reading complicated trauma abd pelvis CTs at 3am seems tiring.

but 24 hr calls are definitely tiring as hell, especially near the later parts of your career. i just worked for almost a decade and its already exhausting working 24 hrs a in a row. and it takes days to recover
Radiology attendings rarely do 24 hr call for that reason. Some programs still have 24 hr call for residents, which more or less involves the resident staring at a computer for close to 24 hrs straight. When I had to do that I felt that it was worse than any other 24 hr shift I had to do on other services. But attending lifestyle can be pretty cush all around in radiology.

OP I think it is reasonable to switch if you don't like what you're doing by now. I enjoy my work and time passes fast when I am on, but any radiologist knows how draining the constant high intensity mental effort at work is. The only caveat I'd add is that you should probably explore mammo, since it has a reasonable amount of tech/patient interaction and generally less mentally taxing than other areas of radiology. IR doesn't sound like the right choice since it sounds like you're very lifestyle oriented (not saying those jobs don't exist, but it is a much small subset of IR jobs).

The only difference is when very uninteresting surgeons try to small talk with you. I feel like the more and more I want to be left alone at work so I can do my job, the more I should've been a radiologists.

You say you want more human interaction. Why? If that’s the case why would you choose anesthesia? I wouldn’t count my day to day interactions with staff as super meaningful. I mean, you went into radiology for a reason. Part of it is to avoid dealing with people. Have you seen anbuitachi’s job?

Radiology has so many nice things going for it, if I had to choose to be a good radiologist vs a good anesthesiologist I know what I’d choose.

You can sit in a dark room with access to a bathroom anytime you want? or you can sit in a dark operating room without access to a bathroom unless you ask for a bathroom break which sometimes isn't available especially at night. Finish Radiology especially if you are doing well.

You might want to ask some people with experience switching specialities. I think your radiology PD has to be completely on board with you switching. I’m pretty sure you can’t burn bridges. Probably the first step is possibly having a conversation with your PD.

You can sit in a dark room with access to a bathroom anytime you want? or you can sit in a dark operating room without access to a bathroom unless you ask for a bathroom break which sometimes isn't available especially at night. Finish Radiology especially if you are doing well.
We may not be on the same page on another thread but we're eye to eye on this one. Speaking 100% truth.

One thing to consider is that you cannot scroll SDN while reading and dictating films. Sometimes the volume is intense in radiology. My friend compare it to drinking water through a firehose. That said, he is retired and I am not.

• Haha
Anesthesiology isn’t a lifestyle specialty. Like IR there are crap cases at night and on weekends. FYI, ESIR was wide open this year as residents decided to do DR and avoid IR. Look into it and you will see plenty of unmatched spots. I recommend IR over anesthesiology. One brings in money to the hospital while the other costs the hospital money.
i don’t like sitting in a dark room all day either which is why I recommend a blend of DR/IR

What about a breast fellowship after DR? I don't know that much about it but it seems like a lot of the things you want-- procedures, more face to face time with patients, not to mention generally good work hours/pay. Also if you did switch to anesthesia then a pain fellowship could be a good fit as well.

Some really helpful responses, thanks all.

As far as lifestyle specialty, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit to feel alive and move around and see humans. I still need to immerse myself more in IR to get a better feel soon hopefully. But yes, it was a crazy year with many unfilled IR fellowship spots even at big institution names because people realized diagnostics makes more and with a "better lifestyle." This may make it a bit easier for me in terms of difficulty getting a spot if I decide to go that route.

Breast/Mammo is the hot thing right now. It has everything I want, except that I'm not fond of the idea of just looking at breast imaging all day every day. I wish it were another organ. Even then, it would be my second choice just because it's a lot more robust and interactive than the other pure diagnostic fields.

People in radiology tell me if I don't like it by now then I should not waste time and switch. I rotated in anesthesia after I'd already submitted my ERAS application back in medical school. I'll admit, it didn't make me euphoric, but comparing my experience in it with my experience in radiology, it feels a lot less mentally taxing and there were humans around me while I was actively working. It's a different type of bursts of exhaustion, and it's not all pure cerebral. I look at the attendings and some residents who work like machines in radiology and see how over the moon they are signing report after report and wish I could be like that, but so far I just can't get elated about reading studies like them.

In terms of money, I spent some time thinking of this, but if you account for the $/hr worked, where hr worked is truly when you are putting in actual effort (ie subtracting down time), it feels like rads loses by a large margin. Not downplaying the work load in anesthesia at all, but there's no other field I can think of where you're on cruise control non-stop mental grind like rads. Call shifts fry my brain like never before.

Lastly, I am an introvert, but I think I overestimated my level of introvertness. When I'm not with other residents, I feel anxious about going to work and having to sit all day alone. And it's not like you can sit next to another radiology buddy and split tasks where one reads the pancreas and the other reads the liver on the same CT.

@OptionOffense - idk why you made me chuckle even though I'm not sure why you think that.

As far as lifestyle specialty, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit to feel alive and move around and see humans. I still need to immerse myself more in IR to get a better feel soon hopefully. But yes, it was a crazy year with many unfilled IR fellowship spots even at big institution names because people realized diagnostics makes more and with a "better lifestyle." This may make it a bit easier for me in terms of difficulty getting a spot if I decide to go that route.

Breast/Mammo is the hot thing right now. It has everything I want, except that I'm not fond of the idea of just looking at breast imaging all day every day. I wish it were another organ. Even then, it would be my second choice just because it's a lot more robust and interactive than the other pure diagnostic fields.

People in radiology tell me if I don't like it by now then I should not waste time and switch. I rotated in anesthesia after I'd already submitted my ERAS application back in medical school. I'll admit, it didn't make me euphoric, but comparing my experience in it with my experience in radiology, it feels a lot less mentally taxing and there were humans around me while I was actively working. It's a different type of bursts of exhaustion, and it's not all pure cerebral. I look at the attendings and some residents who work like machines in radiology and see how over the moon they are signing report after report and wish I could be like that, but so far I just can't get elated about reading studies like them.

In terms of money, I spent some time thinking of this, but if you account for the $/hr worked, where hr worked is truly when you are putting in actual effort (ie subtracting down time), it feels like rads loses by a large margin. Not downplaying the work load in anesthesia at all, but there's no other field I can think of where you're on cruise control non-stop mental grind like rads. Call shifts fry my brain like never before.

Lastly, I am an introvert, but I think I overestimated my level of introvertness. When I'm not with other residents, I feel anxious about going to work and having to sit all day alone. And it's not like you can sit next to another radiology buddy and split tasks where one reads the pancreas and the other reads the liver on the same CT.

@OptionOffense - idk why you made me chuckle even though I'm not sure why you think that.
I will say, I think things that are very mentally taxing now will become less intense. Call shifts that totally wipe you out now may become easy/routine. After you've got more reps under your belt, it won't be nearly as straining to fly through studies.

I'm telling you, no matter what you do, eventually it will become a JOB. It will become routine. Mundane, even. You think sales-people do their jobs because they just LOVE going to work to sell a cell phone, or a car, or whatever? No, they freaking do it to earn a living.

I think that in medicine, we get so focused on "loving what we do" because we put so much time and energy into choosing a specialty we expect it to bring us immense satisfaction forever and always, and if it doesn't, then we must have chosen the wrong specialty! The entire REST of the world is just 0happy to find ANY job that pays the bills. Then if they can transition to another job that makes more money, or has better benefits, or gives more vacation, they gladly take it.

I just think you should think a lot more about the end game before you pursue switching. There is a lot you can do to control/adapt your job to your needs, both in anesthesia and radiology. Certain fellowships may help you to make your practice a little more aligned with your needs/desires, but you have a lot of potential flexibility (part time vs full time, call-taking or not, etc.)

Double post... Whoops

Last edited:
I will say, I think things that are very mentally taxing now will become less intense. Call shifts that totally wipe you out now may become easy/routine. After you've got more reps under your belt, it won't be nearly as straining to fly through studies.

I'm telling you, no matter what you do, eventually it will become a JOB. It will become routine. Mundane, even. You think sales-people do their jobs because they just LOVE going to work to sell a cell phone, or a car, or whatever? No, they freaking do it to earn a living.

I think that in medicine, we get so focused on "loving what we do" because we put so much time and energy into choosing a specialty we expect it to bring us immense satisfaction forever and always, and if it doesn't, then we must have chosen the wrong specialty! The entire REST of the world is just 0happy to find ANY job that pays the bills. Then if they can transition to another job that makes more money, or has better benefits, or gives more vacation, they gladly take it.

I just think you should think a lot more about the end game before you pursue switching. There is a lot you can do to control/adapt your job to your needs, both in anesthesia and radiology. Certain fellowships may help you to make your practice a little more aligned with your needs/desires, but you have a lot of potential flexibility (part time vs full time, call-taking or not, etc.)
The thing is though, if you wanted just a job to just pay your bills you didnt have to spend years in school to just have a "job" like everyone else. It is understandable for people to want to find a specialty that p rovides immense satisfaction everyday considering the road to get there. Having said that you and i know both most medical jobs are really "the pits"; you just have to figure out how to get through the day by any means necessary. Say anything or do anything to maintain your sanity.

But, outside of medicine AND in medicine there are MANY people who love their jobs.

agree to most of this. but becareful about the in terms of money part. as you get older, time matters more and more. you may want to work hard, but for 8 hrs and go home to do whatever it is, family, video games, gym, whatever. when you are 60 and closer to retirement, you may not be spending most of your waking hours, and bunch of nights in the hospital, in the OR, even if there are other humans in the same OR

I wouldn't underestimate the mentally taxing nature of anesthesia. There are of course very intense cases like off pump CABGs or liver transplants which require constant attention, but even more mundane cases can be mentally fatiguing, especially if you're a detail oriented person.

For a stable free flap or some long robotic case, you have to be doing a "sweep" (i.e. monitoring the pt's positioning, blood loss, UOP, your drip doses, IVF administration, ETCO2, anesthetic gases, adjunct meds, the vitals, charting, etc etc) every couple or so minutes for hours at a time. Not to mention, if one of a bazillion different things relating to various different organ systems starts going wrong during the case then you're expected to the know how to fix it off the top of your head.

Is it the same as hours of reading chest and body CT? No, but it's also not "put a quarter in the anesthesia machine and turn my brain off for 6 hrs" either

I'm usually pretty encouraging about people switching into anesthesia, because I think it has a lot to offer as a field, but I'm going to be honest and say that I'm not sure you're really running TO anesthesia as much as FROM radiology. FWIW my radiology spouse also thinks you should try to stick it out and see what you can do to find meaning/satisfaction in radiology. Ironically she mentioned mammo before she even got to your post talking about it.

There are radiology jobs that are more procedural in nature, or have more human interaction, or have more flexibility (WFH, etc). There are anesthesia jobs that are mind-numbingly boring, or isolating, or have a lower pay:work ratio. Also keep in mind that in general, people suck, so the more people you work with, the higher your chances of being stuck with someone incompetent, lazy, or just assholish. Honestly, the techs in VIR at my job are the worst, and I'd trade places with the attending radiologist any day of the week since they just run in, do the procedure, and leave.

If you need to switch, switch, just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons and you've done as much homework as you possibly can before you commit. Good luck.

I understand that every job eventually becomes mundane. But I feel like what @OptionOffense said, many people in and out of medicine love their jobs. I'm not seeking love, I just want to feel somewhat fulfilled.

Also, I made sure to imply that I'm not downplaying the workload or focus needed in anesthesia at all. But, it's still different than the laser focus cerebral grind in radiology. At least that's my impression when I compare my radiology experience with my limited anesthesia exposure.

@WholeLottaGame7 - thanks for your input and for your wife opining on this. Must be a cool household having people in those two fields. I would say your assessment is pretty accurate. I want to run from radiology. Anesthesiology seems like a good alternative based on my experience in med school and also just what the field itself seems to offer. You'd be surprised how many residents (including seniors) I spoke with in radiology who dislike the field and their first consideration for a switch is anesthesiology.

Tbh, I thought when I first posted on here most people would advise for a switch. I'm a little surprised. I'm for sure going to take everything said on here and digest it. And I'll do more "homework" to explore what's best to do moving forward.

I understand that every job eventually becomes mundane. But I feel like what @OptionOffense said, many people in and out of medicine love their jobs. I'm not seeking love, I just want to feel somewhat fulfilled.

Also, I made sure to imply that I'm not downplaying the workload or focus needed in anesthesia at all. But, it's still different than the laser focus cerebral grind in radiology. At least that's my impression when I compare my radiology experience with my limited anesthesia exposure.

@WholeLottaGame7 - thanks for your input and for your wife opining on this. Must be a cool household having people in those two fields. I would say your assessment is pretty accurate. I want to run from radiology. Anesthesiology seems like a good alternative based on my experience in med school and also just what the field itself seems to offer. You'd be surprised how many residents (including seniors) I spoke with in radiology who dislike the field and their first consideration for a switch is anesthesiology.

Tbh, I thought when I first posted on here most people would advise for a switch. I'm a little surprised. I'm for sure going to take everything said on here and digest it. And I'll do more "homework" to explore what's best to do moving forward.

Have you asked some attendings (including non academic ones)?

There’s always doom and gloom (go chcek out Aunt Minnie…no shortage there). But you are half way through. Pretty much every field gets better as an attending. You get good at the work. You don’t have to deal with abusive behavior. No more exams. No longer forced to live somewhere you hate. Better schedule. No ever changing rotations. And so on.

Residency makes even the most enthusiastic, happy go lucky person regret their field no matter how good they are at it. You are probably much better objectively at rads then you think (or your attendings will let you know).

For perspective, I did regional anesthesia research in med school. Rotated in the field a bunch. Can’t remember why I switched to rads. So I really just switched into what I wanted to do all along.

Even then, residency still sucked. A lot. Life improved remarkably the second I turned in my phone.

Finish radiology residency. Then do anesthesia residency. When you’re done, you can read X-rays during long stable cases.

• Love
One thing to consider is that you cannot scroll SDN while reading and dictating films. Sometimes the volume is intense in radiology. My friend compare it to drinking water through a firehose. That said, he is retired and I am not.
I’m on sdn way too much during the day between studies. (Honestly, I’d rather be watching videos on YouTube but the site I’m currently at has an open door so can’t be doing that. )

Rads is great, but yeah there can be long periods of high cognitive load. That being said, I think anesthesiology would be a little stressful because you push the wrong drug or wrong dose or wrong concentration and the patient dies. In rads, if I push the wrong button, the image flips horizontally or something equally mundane.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I’m on sdn way too much during the day between studies. (Honestly, I’d rather be watching videos on YouTube but the site I’m currently at has an open door so can’t be doing that. )

Rads is great, but yeah there can be long periods of high cognitive load. That being said, I think anesthesiology would be a little stressful because you push the wrong drug or wrong dose or wrong concentration and the patient dies. In rads, if I push the wrong button, the image flips horizontally or something equally mundane.

Most patients and situations in anesthesia are surprisingly forgiving.

really this depends on your practice environment and cases that you do.
just like in radiology reading chest xrays all day can be mundane, the same can be said for high turnover, healthy, bread and butter cases.

wrong-drug errors can be very serious... but dosing is usually forgiving.
fortunately it is ingrained in training to double check our drugs.

Most patients and situations in anesthesia are surprisingly forgiving.

ASA 1, 2, 3s agreed

What is the fear of AI in radiology? Is it like the doom and gloom of mid-levels in Anesthesiology?
(AKA we freak out about it but it isn't actually too much to worry)
No fear.