Rank 10 programs, 99% match - yada yada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well does he know the stats of every URM person that he thinks "stole his spot"? Let's not forget the fact that this is a full application and things like MSPE, Extracurricular, LORs also come into play. Do you know all of this data? I am not throwing a hissy fit at him (I made my point and have moved on...subtly blaming Affirmative Action for your problems is gonna cause someone to go off). I am defending my views to someone who decided to start questioning me based on my SDN history. As someone said earlier why didn't this person focus on other things ...like for say nepotism, which could also be a reason why they didn't match. Also, maybe being a average DO wasn't enough to make the cut. Some great DO students didn't match this year, yet they didn't bring race into their complaints.

You don't have to know the stats of EVERY URM person, take a look at the averages. It really is not that difficult. Also, yes I do know this data because I have analyzed it. Have you or do you just assume racism anytime someone brings this type of topic up?

Members don't see this ad.

Well does he know the stats of every URM person that he thinks "stole his spot"? Let's not forget the fact that this is a full application and things like MSPE, Extracurricular, LORs also come into play. Do you know all of this data? I am not throwing a hissy fit at him (I made my point and have moved on...subtly blaming Affirmative Action for your problems is gonna cause someone to go off). I am defending my views to someone who decided to start questioning me based on my SDN history. As someone said earlier why didn't this person focus on other things ...like for say nepotism, which could also be a reason why they didn't match. Also, maybe being a average DO wasn't enough to make the cut. Some great DO students didn't match this year, yet they didn't bring race into their complaints.

You mean your other account?

Members don't see this ad :)
HAHAHA yeah sure...whatever...:ninja: you've discovered my super secret plan!!!

Two URM students both from top 10 medical schools with decent stats, both on the EM forum and both apparently offended by one sentence in one post? Ya, no surprise that it is a troll account coming from the same person. Give me a break dude or dudette.

Two URM students both from top 10 medical schools with decent stats, both on the EM forum and both apparently offended by one sentence in one post? Ya, no surprise that it is a troll account coming from the same person. Give me a break dude or dudette.

Hahahhahahahaha...take a second and dissect your logic...there no POSSIBLE WAY that two URM students could a) be from top ten schools or b) have decent stats!?!?

Give ME an effing break, dude. Hate to burst your bubble, but there's lots of us...stealing residency spots from our more "deserving" white peers across the land!

And as far as my previous "bitter white dude" comment...I'm not saying that EVERY person who complains about affirmative action is a bitter white dude, just that you can't deny that MOST of them are. With my N of a couple hundred people who've brought up affirmative action to me, that's overwhelmingly the case. Maybe they're the only ones who feel comfortable playing the race card in public; who knows.

I really wish I could post IP addresses just to show you how ridiculous and stupid this is.

Hello member11223344, apparently we are the same person because 2 URMs can't be successful and culturally aware at the same time.

I really wish I could post IP addresses just to show you how ridiculous and stupid this is.

Hello member11223344, apparently we are the same person because 2 URMs can't be successful and culturally aware at the same time.

Actually what really happened is you hijacking this thread that had substance to it.

Cool story bro, keep it up.

Actually what really happened is you hijacking this thread that had substance to it.

Cool story bro, keep it up.

I hijacked the thread. Because someone was making offhandedly racist comments. I'm okay with that. And just to clarify, i'm not a bro, i'm a LADY. An irritated lady.

Hahahhahahahaha...take a second and dissect your logic...there no POSSIBLE WAY that two URM students could a) be from top ten schools or b) have decent stats!?!?

Give ME an effing break, dude. Hate to burst your bubble, but there's lots of us...stealing residency spots from our more "deserving" white peers across the land!

And as far as my previous "bitter white dude" comment...I'm not saying that EVERY person who complains about affirmative action is a bitter white dude, just that you can't deny that MOST of them are. With my N of a couple hundred people who've brought up affirmative action to me, that's overwhelmingly the case. Maybe they're the only ones who feel comfortable playing the race card in public; who knows.

Learn to read. Did i say there is no way that there could be two urm from top 10 schools with decent stats or that there was no way that there could be two urm from top 10 schools both on the forum at the same time and both offended by one sentence of one post. Seriously wtf are the odds?

Way to completely misinterpret my post. It is no wonder you and your split personality troll account are so easily offended.

train-wreck.jpg

For those keeping score, this thread currently states MDs>DOs>URMs.
All we need are some FMG/IMG comments to make it truly an SDN preallo thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
train-wreck.jpg

For those keeping score, this thread currently states MDs>DOs>URMs.
All we need are some FMG/IMG comments to make it truly an SDN preallo thread.

Honestly I am still dumbfounded at the idiotcracy that occurred on this board last night.
1) I am not nor have I ever been a dummy account for the other poster. If you don't believe me feel free to pm me and I'll give you my real name, real stats and all. Unlike some people I do not need to hide behind a computer to make a point. So yes the odds were not in your favor friend!
2) Since when did it become ok to assume that it is completely unrealistic to have 2 urms ( who likely have the same views about affirmative action) from top med schools to view a post at the same time? So it's more realistic for someone to stay up all night posting from two accounts. Yeah that's just great.
3) For that one guy who claimed that we "hijacked" this post, well count your lucky stars you saw some action last night because things have been pretty slow on sdn post match.
4) It really disheartens me that ignoramuses like those in this post will be entering my field and medicine in general.

It's 2012 people get with the times...

Serious question here,

At some point in this mess of a thread there was what I believe to be a misunderstanding that Team Z was talking about being passed up in residency selection for an URM, I think he was talking about his application to medical school since I know he is not graduating this year.

My question is do residencies give preference to URM? I've only heard about this for selection of med school applicants, thats why I ask. There is nothing implied here, not trying to start anything, just looking for a fact here.

Also as a side note, I'm a DO student mostly because I didn't get into my state school, most likely because I wasn't a good enough applicant. But my state, Washington, has an arrangement with some surrounding states like Idaho, Montana and a couple others to take a certain number of those applicants per a cycle. . . so while some people may get passed up for URM's, I got passed up for the whitest people on earth. Just a joke, no offense to any of those students reading this.

.... only in the EM forum.

+1 @ train wreck.

Harvard > mid-tier MD > DO

Discrimination happens. People will stereotype. Life moves on.

Welcome to the real world.

Serious question here,

At some point in this mess of a thread there was what I believe to be a misunderstanding that Team Z was talking about being passed up in residency selection for an URM, I think he was talking about his application to medical school since I know he is not graduating this year.

My question is do residencies give preference to URM? I've only heard about this for selection of med school applicants, thats why I ask. There is nothing implied here, not trying to start anything, just looking for a fact here.

Also as a side note, I'm a DO student mostly because I didn't get into my state school, most likely because I wasn't a good enough applicant. But my state, Washington, has an arrangement with some surrounding states like Idaho, Montana and a couple others to take a certain number of those applicants per a cycle. . . so while some people may get passed up for URM's, I got passed up for the whitest people on earth. Just a joke, no offense to any of those students reading this.

URM isn't a factor for most residency programs.

Serious question here,

Yeah the funny thing is I'm in my second year and for some reason I was a racist bitter white dude who blamed my not matching on affirmative action. Ridiculous.

I know URM has nothing to do with residency apps so why would I bring it up? I was simply pointing out it's false logic to assume DOs automatically have lower stats than MDs, meant NO disrespect to URMs. Furthermore I was trying to make the point that peeps should be evaluated on their recent activity> what they did in undergrad.

But.... be as it may this all went to ****.

Trying to get somewhat back on topic.

If the MD match was so competitive this year, can any DOs comment on if the DO match seemed to be impacted as well?

I'm certain it was. EM is a popular specialty right now, in both matches. There'd be no reason why the DO match would be any different. One can always look at nms's data to be sure, but this year was fairly competitive. There were like what, 4 spots in the scramble?

Honestly I am still dumbfounded at the idiotcracy that occurred on this board last night.
1) I am not nor have I ever been a dummy account for the other poster. If you don't believe me feel free to pm me and I'll give you my real name, real stats and all. Unlike some people I do not need to hide behind a computer to make a point. So yes the odds were not in your favor friend!
2) Since when did it become ok to assume that it is completely unrealistic to have 2 urms ( who likely have the same views about affirmative action) from top med schools to view a post at the same time? So it's more realistic for someone to stay up all night posting from two accounts. Yeah that's just great.
3) For that one guy who claimed that we "hijacked" this post, well count your lucky stars you saw some action last night because things have been pretty slow on sdn post match.
4) It really disheartens me that ignoramuses like those in this post will be entering my field and medicine in general.

It's 2012 people get with the times...

Seems to me like you are new to posting on forums, especially if you don't realize that is exactly what you did. Glad you had fun on your soap box though (If you aren't actually a troll).

For the record, if you are being serious with your posts then it seems to me like you have more serious issues to deal with then calling people "ignoramuses" on a SDN forum. That is my 2 cents, from this URM... who doesn't need to feel the need to jump down someones throat when they mention affirmative action.

Hola. URM here (and a caucasian one at that. Yes. They exist. I'm like an uh-oh oreo.). Ummm... ummm....I have nothing to add. I find this whole thing to be ridiculous. Especially when, if we're talking stats, women (esp white women) are the most common beneficiary of affirmative action. There is a sliver of truth in that if you take all the URM in med school at any level there is a distinct and statistically significant drop off in uGPA, sGPA and MCAT score compared to all med students. But you also see that across the board (med school and in other educational enviroments) these same "underqualified" minorities occupy a disproportionately large percentage of the "highest earners" at each level of education (seen this proven true for law school, med school, and undergraduate education from Ivy League insitutions).

The point being, affirmative action as an argument (either blaming it for taking your spots or saying its irrelevant) is stupid. Its white women taking your spots, not colored-anyone. And the fact that the URMs do enter at statistically lower qualifications is counteracted by the fact that, as a statistic, they outperform white males once they get that degree with that same education. Sources are all in the last ridiculous race-riot thread I read in the Pre-DO forums about 6 months ago. I have no memory as to which thread it was.

now lets all agree to shut up.

I was really hoping this thread got really popular with discussions of formulas to find the perfect amount of places to apply to. Want to address if there has been a crunch on the AOA spots?

There are now 4 individual URMs posting on this page. I'm getting tired of creating all these fake alternate accounts with different perspectives...

There are now 4 individual URMs posting on this page. I'm getting tired of creating all these fake alternate accounts with different perspectives...

Yes. But I'm also from a second tier, sub-human, Osteopathic school. ;) I believe the original comment was somewhat focused at the intersection of URM and top 20 institution. (which still leaves plenty of people for multiple posters from there to be feasible imho)

Yes. But I'm also from a second tier, sub-human, Osteopathic school. ;) I believe the original comment was somewhat focused at the intersection of URM and top 20 institution. (which still leaves plenty of people for multiple posters from there to be feasible imho)

But both simultaneously reading a sub section of SDN, both offended by two words in one post that was blown out of proportion, both posting right after one another, and one happening to have 2 posts total, makes it highly highly unlikely that it is two individuals. But, more likely a troll account. Not sure why this is difficult for people to fathom.

And the fact that the URMs do enter at statistically lower qualifications is counteracted by the fact that, as a statistic, they outperform white males once they get that degree with that same education. Sources are all in the last ridiculous race-riot thread I read in the Pre-DO forums about 6 months ago.

I'm sorry, even though you referenced a thread that you can't remember, I call bull**** on that statistic. Paycheck doesn't mean anything compared to GPA, sure. But it means a lot compared to specialty, and all the highly paid specialties have high standardized test scores. Something that URMs statistically do worse on, for whatever reasons (the way the test is written, etc). So, unless all minorities go into radiology (they don't), I'm going to say that you need to prove that point.

Yeah the funny thing is I'm in my second year and for some reason I was a racist bitter white dude who blamed my not matching on affirmative action. Ridiculous.

I know URM has nothing to do with residency apps so why would I bring it up? I was simply pointing out it's false logic to assume DOs automatically have lower stats than MDs, meant NO disrespect to URMs. Furthermore I was trying to make the point that peeps should be evaluated on their recent activity> what they did in undergrad.

But.... be as it may this all went to ****.

Undergrad grades aren't even part of the ERAS application.

I'm sorry, even though you referenced a thread that you can't remember, I call bull**** on that statistic. Paycheck doesn't mean anything compared to GPA, sure. But it means a lot compared to specialty, and all the highly paid specialties have high standardized test scores. Something that URMs statistically do worse on, for whatever reasons (the way the test is written, etc). So, unless all minorities go into radiology (they don't), I'm going to say that you need to prove that point.

This is interesting. Med schools will admit questionable applicants if they see potential. I have seen URMs with 7s and 8s get in, but also caucasians from physician families. There will always some kind of subjective measures that help some get and others not. It's not fair, but them's the breaks. If your app is tight, you'll eventually get in somewhere.

With regards to URMs entering more competitive fields. This may be where things get sticky, in that MCAT performance is somewhat predictive of USMLE performance. So, while some URMs may "catch up" in terms of standardized test taking skills in med school (i feel that med school is a bit of an equalizer or sorts*), it may not always be enough to match derm or plastics. Also, many URMs come from lower SES communities, and more often pursue primary care like FM, IM, OB, and PEDs. I'm not sure if this is to do with less competitive stats or a desire to "give back".

I find myself going back and forth about affirmative action.It can be a good or bad, and I'm not sure how much this even matters for admission. I have sat in on these meetings, and more often than race are the economic hardships, or family dynamics that give a committee pause when taking into account an applicants potential.

Soledad O'Brien: "It's better to get into Harvard 'cause you're black than not get into Harvard 'cause you're black"

-Neither is ideal, but I'll choose the former for now.

*My reason is that med school is generally hard for everyone. However, many do not have to work to support themselves which removes some of the barriers people might have had to deal with as undergrads. Also, schools give their students pretty equal access to resources for success on USMLE, since it's in the school's best interest to have all do well. Also, few students (at least at my school) pay for full-fledged Kaplan courses to prep for boards, mostly it's just you, your study plan, and a question bank which levels the playing field a bit.

Last edited:
With regards to URMs entering more competitive fields. This may be where things get sticky, in that MCAT performance is somewhat predictive of USMLE performance. So, while some URMs may "catch up" in terms of standardized test taking skills in med school (i feel that med school is a bit of an equalizer or sorts*), it may not always be enough to match derm or plastics. Also, many URMs come from lower SES communities, and more often pursue primary care like FM, IM, OB, and PEDs. I'm not sure if this is to do with less competitive stats or a desire to "give back".
Not sure where this came from. All my comment was that DocEspana said that URMs, on average, outperform whites once they are in school, and I still find that statement to be bull****. Also, whenever evidence to the contrary is brought up, it of course is deemed racist, so you have that. Not saying that individuals can't outperform individuals, but as a whole, the averages don't lie.

*My reason is that med school is generally hard for everyone. However, many do not have to work to support themselves which removes some of the barriers people might have had to deal with as undergrads. Also, schools give their students pretty equal access to resources for success on USMLE, since it's in the school's best interest to have all do well. Also, few students (at least at my school) pay for full-fledged Kaplan courses to prep for boards, mostly it's just you, your study plan, and a question bank which levels the playing field a bit.
I would argue that fewer schools provide question banks than don't, but that's from the informal poll of students I took back when I was in school still. Second, while it is in the school's best interest for everyone to do "well" on the USMLE, many schools, mine included, did not do anything specific for it. So much so, the professors used to tell us "the USMLE questions won't be like this, but this is how we like to write them."

Not sure where this came from. All my comment was that DocEspana said that URMs, on average, outperform whites once they are in school, and I still find that statement to be bull****. Also, whenever evidence to the contrary is brought up, it of course is deemed racist, so you have that. Not saying that individuals can't outperform individuals, but as a whole, the averages don't lie.

I see, then we agree

I would argue that fewer schools provide question banks than don't, but that's from the informal poll of students I took back when I was in school still. Second, while it is in the school's best interest for everyone to do "well" on the USMLE, many schools, mine included, did not do anything specific for it. So much so, the professors used to tell us "the USMLE questions won't be like this, but this is how we like to write them."

I meant informally that students purchase them on their own. My school had some few days of "high yield" review, but we have good academic success peeps that have the low down on the tools for steps.