Rank list depth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runningallthetime

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Without saying "depends on your competitiveness" or "depends on where you applied," does anyone know how deep most applicants in EM usually go on their rank list? I know the NRMP has it that 52% overall get choice and 86% in top 3 but does anyone know more than this? Is EM reflective of that trend?

Members don't see this ad.

I've wondered this as well. I don't think NRMP publishes that info. I did see that the average program had to go down 6.6 spots on their ROL to match one applicant. Was pretty surprised by this. Seems like the chances of a successful match are pretty good if you only half to impress one program more than half of the other applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Well my pool is looking pretty shallow so far, so hopefully not too deep.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've wondered this as well. I don't think NRMP publishes that info. I did see that the average program had to go down 6.6 spots on their ROL to match one applicant. Was pretty surprised by this. Seems like the chances of a successful match are pretty good if you only half to impress one program more than half of the other applicants.

What's the source for this? I like the chances with 6.6 since I was told by a PD that it's about 10 applicants interviewed per spot.

What's the source for this? I like the chances with 6.6 since I was told by a PD that it's about 10 applicants interviewed per spot.

If you look at the match data, last year it was 6.6 on the raw data for the match. a lot of PD will say that the match is so heavily favored toward the student that this happens

I feel like there is absolutely no down side to ranking every single program you interviewed at. Unless you absolutely hated a program and would kill yourself if you were a resident there, shouldn't you just rank as deep as you possibly can? What's the downside?

I feel like there is absolutely no down side to ranking every single program you interviewed at. Unless you absolutely hated a program and would kill yourself if you were a resident there, shouldn't you just rank as deep as you possibly can? What's the downside?
I plan to rank every program I interview at. That said, it would be nice to know how the breakdown of first choice, second, third, etc. goes for EM specifically, as the overall numbers may or may not well-match this specialty.

I plan to rank every program I interview at. That said, it would be nice to know how the breakdown of first choice, second, third, etc. goes for EM specifically, as the overall numbers may or may not well-match this specialty.
My school provides this data for the previous years class (at our school almost everyone matched within their top 3, a few matches 4th),

Agreed. The general philosophy is that you should only not rank a program if you honesty believe you would rather not match than end up there

My school provides this data for the previous years class (at our school almost everyone matched within their top 3, a few matches 4th),

I imagine this is true for most schools (or at least I hope so...thanks for sharing!). I'm going to rank all of my programs but would of course be less than happy at numbers 9-12. But even less than happy is better than not matching IMO.

The 6.6 interviews per spot on average is fascinating to me. Obviously, since this is an average, I wonder how low places like Carolinas and Cincy go compared to less desirable places on the other end of the spectrum. But then again, there are SO many factors to consider my head feels like it will explode if I think about it for too long.

I imagine this is true for most schools (or at least I hope so...thanks for sharing!). I'm going to rank all of my programs but would of course be less than happy at numbers 9-12. But even less than happy is better than not matching IMO.

The 6.6 interviews per spot on average is fascinating to me. Obviously, since this is an average, I wonder how low places like Carolinas and Cincy go compared to less desirable places on the other end of the spectrum. But then again, there are SO many factors to consider my head feels like it will explode if I think about it for too long.

For reals. Imma just make my list and see where it ends up. I'm just starting my interview season (done 3/12) so we'll see how December goes my head already wants to explode just from trying to rank these 3. Can't imagine having to try and rank 150 applicants.

I'm ranking 15 no matter what. This is not the time to play around and not match.

It's been a while, but as I recall it cost more to rank more than 15, so I only ranked the top 15 I interviewed at. Why I bothered interviewing at more than that is beyond me.

Reactions: 2 users
It's been a while, but as I recall it cost more to rank more than 15, so I only ranked the top 15 I interviewed at. Why I bothered interviewing at more than that is beyond me.

It doesn't cost anything rank a program. It only costs money to send an application. Currently you can send 10 applications for a single fee, and then each application after that has an individual price.

One of the most glaring difference between applicants who did not match and those that did was the length of ROL.

The shorter your ROL, the less likely you are to match.

It doesn't cost anything rank a program. It only costs money to send an application. Currently you can send 10 applications for a single fee, and then each application after that has an individual price.
Not necessarily true you have to pay an initial nrmp fee...its for a certain number of ranks, but if you do rank more programs than that designated cutoff (think its like 20 or something, don't quote me) there are additional fees per rank you have to pay to the nrmp ;)

One of the most glaring difference between applicants who did not match and those that did was the length of ROL.

The shorter your ROL, the less likely you are to match.
Exactly - I don't care what is someone's asinine reason for not ranking this program or that, but, when you don't match, you and your idiotic reason can roll the bones and SOAP your ass off. Really, you "couldn't live in that city", but will take a random program? Not reasonable.

Reactions: 2 users