Rank List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowbird3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My top 3 in no particular order are: Univ of Iowa, Univ of Nebraska, Univ of New Mexico. Location between those 3 places is not an issue. I have heard good things about Iowa and New Mexico, but do not know as much about Nebraska and wondered if anyone had any insight. I really liked all 3 interviews so am having a hard time between those. I am unsure of what fellowship I want to pursue. I also really liked UAMS, UAB, & KUMC but those are lower based on location for me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think all three are equally solid middle tier programs, and probably stronger overall than the others that you mentioned. I interviewed at Iowa several years ago (when the current chair was the residency program director) and was impressed by the program then. UNM has a good reputation for hemepath and forensics. Iowa may be a bit stronger in AP than UNM and Nebraska.

More important is being in a place you'll enjoy living in for the next 4+ years.

I think all three are equally solid middle tier programs, and probably stronger overall than the others that you mentioned. I interviewed at Iowa several years ago (when the current chair was the residency program director) and was impressed by the program then. UNM has a good reputation for hemepath and forensics. Iowa may be a bit stronger in AP than UNM and Nebraska.

More important is being in a place you'll enjoy living in for the next 4+ years.

Second this. Last I heard, their forensic program was up there with B’more, NYC, Miami. Good location. Better than the others.

NM is strong in Hemepath and Forensics from what I have heard, but if you have kids make sure you look at the schools. IIRC they consistently under-perform.

Iowa seemed to be very solid all the way around in AP and CP. Iowa city is not a bad town from what I've heard and low COL for your resident dollars.

Kansas City is a great place to live (better than Omaha - from having lived in both places), but KUMC maybe a little weaker than nearby places (UNMC and Iowa), although KUMC has been growing quite a bit so things might have changed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies!!

Iowa did seem a little bit stronger overall, the only downside was no stipend for food and walking 10 minutes (in the snow haha). Both UNMC and NM offered some money for food and attached parking. It sounds like I should pick based on location since they all seem to be fairly similar overall.

Stipend for food?!?! Definitely something that I didn't see in the Northeast!
I thought it was normal because during my 3rd year all of the residents I was with had a stipend or access to free food. Then when I started interviewing I realized it wasn't that common haha

Well when I was in residency, we could get free cafeteria leftovers after 9pm - it was carefully portioned and we had to sign in - only one serving per night. The department pitched in and gave us free greasy pizza on Fridays though. Gotta keep up the morale!

As an MD/PhD it was a requirement to develop a 6th sense for free food. I could always find a free meal somewhere for breakfast and lunch, regardless of institution.

Reactions: 1 user