Rank List question (help please)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

propofol1

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got around to entering my rank list and I have one question.
Say you interviewed at ten programs and they all offer categorical and advanced positions. If I want to rank both categorical and advanced positions at each program will my rank list have 20 entries meaning I have to pay $30/entry for the last 5? If so this will be more expensive than realized. Am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, what you are saying is correct. We already spent plenty on taking the boards, ERAS, traveling to interviews, just put it on the tab....

Propofol,

I just certified my ROL this afternoon and received quite a surprise. I'm afraid you're gonna be paying a lot more than that. Unless I'm mistaken, the NRMP is going to charge you for all the programs you're ranking on your Supplemental List as well. In fact, if you have a few different Supplemental Lists that are going to be assigned to each of the programs on your Primary List, they count as separate programs and you get double charged.

Allow me to elaborate:

I ranked 11 Anesthesiology programs, but 4 of them have both Categorical and Supplemental options. So that makes 15 programs in my Primary Rank List.

I interviewed at four Transitional Year programs: 2 in the South (call them programs W and X) and 2 in the Midwest (programs Y and Z).

To all of the Anesthesiology programs in the South, I've attached Supplemental List A which lists the TY programs in the following order: W - X - Y - Z.

Conversely, to all the Anesthesiology programs in the Midwest, I attached Supplemental List B which ranks the TY programs in the order: Y - Z - W - X.

Here's the deal... when I certified my list, the NRMP e-mailed me a message saying I've ranked a total of 23 programs.... 15 in my Primary List, 4 in Supplemental List A, and 4 in Supplemental List B. According to my calculations, this is going to cost me an extra $240 dollars in fees ($30 bucks times 8 programs over the free 15). WTF !?!?!?!?!?!?

Is this correct ?!? What a scam !

Hey, I'm going to ask this question in the General Residency Forum. It seems to apply to the Rads, Optho, and Derm people too.

Members don't see this ad :)
H & P Stat: Yes, you have to shell out the extra loot. But don't trouble yourself, send $240 to my Paypal account at [email protected], and I'll be your liason with those NRMP fascits and take care of everything for you ;)...

(joking bro--check out my response to your post on the Gen Res Forums)

Originally posted by propofol1
I just got around to entering my rank list and I have one question.
Say you interviewed at ten programs and they all offer categorical and advanced positions. If I want to rank both categorical and advanced positions at each program will my rank list have 20 entries meaning I have to pay $30/entry for the last 5? If so this will be more expensive than realized. Am I missing something?

If any one of your lists exceeds 15 ranks -- e.g. your Primary looks like it's at 20 -- you have to pay $30/rank... i.e. $150 in your case. IMHO it's drop in the bucket. Good luck.