Rank Order List [2012-2013]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Gutonc. It's exactly what I thought- the only thing applicants can trust is the name of the program that's printed on our letters on match day.

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1 240s, Step 2 260s, EM Honors

I applied to only 3 year programs in small to medium sized cities. Would prefer to end up out west. I was looking for a well-rounded program that would get me ready for anything. Not so much looking for a big academic place or ultra county knife and club inner city. My interests include critical care, education, ultrasound, and wilderness medicine.

I really thought all these programs were great and I won't be disappointed on match day no matter what. I don't know what the hell "fit" is supposed to mean but I felt I comfortable with the residents and faculty I met everywhere.

In the end, program specifics became a bit less important than location since I didn't interview at wildly different types of places. Though, my #1 does win on all counts.

1. New Mexico
2. Maricopa
3. UC Davis
4. University of Virginia
5. University of Rochester
6. University of Wisconsin
7. MCW
8. Ohio State
9. Akron General
10. Wright State
11. Virginia Commonwealth University

MD applicant in the south. 240s Step 1, 250s Step 2, EM Honors

My ranking was based on how well I clicked with residents/faculty, location, and overall gestalt. I'd be ecstatic with my top 4, happy with my next 4 and fine with the bottom five.

1. UNC
2. Carolinas
3. Baylor
4. UTSW Dallas
5. Orlando
6. Hopkins
7. UF Jax
8. UCSF
9. UT Houston
10. Cook County
11. JPS
12. LSU NO
13. UT San Antonio

Members don't see this ad :)
Anonymous submission

Applied 43, offered 21, interviewed at 14

Step scores 5 points below average, middle of class, great slors, 1 away. applied to 43, offered

1- USC lac
2- UNM
3- UTsouthwestern
4- Christiana
5- UF Gainesville
6- UC Davis
7- San Antonio
8- Denver
9- Baylor
10- Texas a&m
11- Corpus Christi
12- Detroit receiving
13- JPS
14- NYP

I refer you to this post here to help you figure out just exactly what was meant by that email.

Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking - "seriously considered" means "we're going to rank you". That's it.

As an aside, I was thinking of a similar list from last year. One guy posted his list, and, at #10 or whatever, said it was his home program, but didn't write what it was, because he wanted to keep private. Now, had he just said "CWRU" or "Duke" or "USC Palmetto", no one would have been the wiser, but he drew attention to something that was quite nondescript. When I mentioned this, he deleted the entire post. ?? I thought afterwards that I hoped that the fellow knew that he would actually have to show up, and people would actually, really see him in person, and that he couldn't stay home with the windows covered, and wearing a mask out in public. Let me see if I can dig up some of that...

Ah, here it is. Above, the guy had deleted his list, with the explanation "got called out for being a little shady". Well, he HAS been anonymous since then!

I know the program emails saying "we really liked you and plan on ranking you highly" are a dime a dozen. What about when your PD calls your #1 program PD on the phone, they have a good chat about you and he tells them your plans to rank them #1. and that PD tells him **we are ranking him highly. we were all impressed. we liked him. blah blah blah". is that a dime a dozen too?

I know the program emails saying "we really liked you and plan on ranking you highly" are a dime a dozen. What about when your PD calls your #1 program PD on the phone, they have a good chat about you and he tells them your plans to rank them #1. and that PD tells him **we are ranking him highly. we were all impressed. we liked him. blah blah blah". is that a dime a dozen too?
There's far too many scenarios and opinions on what everything means. Part of being at this stage as a 4th year is completely overanalyzing everything. In the match game, everyone is better off not trying to figure out the meaning of a sentence and just let the chips fall where they may. You'll have a good idea what was meant by that statement on Match Day.

If "love letters" are a dime a dozen, what does it say if you don't get one from a program and other people do?

If "love letters" are a dime a dozen, what does it say if you don't get one from a program and other people do?

Here's an answer which will make you feel better: They only bother sending those emails to people who probably won't rank them highly otherwise.

Here's an answer which will make you feel better: They only bother sending those emails to people who probably won't rank them highly otherwise.

That about sums up my experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just adding to the thread.

Originally from Midwest, med school in the midwest. Step 1 just above average, Step 2 240's, in top half of class, non EM research, home rotation and couple aways all with Honors, interviewers said I had great SLORs, lots of service activities. Definitely not a stellar applicant, but I have some unique experiences and interesting hobbies that tended to be topics of conversation during interviews (in a good way).

I'm not a pretentious person, and I'm not hung up on names. After doing my aways, I realized how important "fit" was going to be for me, and was glad I did my aways early to realize that. I don't have major goals for working in administration or hard core research, but I wouldn't mind working in some kind of academic hybrid institution. I applied to and interviewed at a variety of places to get a good feel for what was out there and what I thought I'd like. I have family in the Midwest, but I'm not tied here, and friends all over, so although location holds some consideration, I just based this off where I thought I'd get good training, and where I clicked with the people. A huge factor for my definition of "fit" is the teaching style of the attendings jiving with my learning style. So here it goes.

Applied to 24, offered 15, went on 12. Cancelled and east coast and 2 west coast interviews after deciding to stick with 3 year programs only. I did alot of research before applying (hence only 24 programs), and picked each program for specific qualities I was looking for (no shot gun apps like "every program in Ohio, Michigan, X state, or Y city").

Alphabetical by 2's

1-2: Akron General, Ohio State: At Akron it was 100% the people that did it for me. The Chair (a former PD at Metro) and the PD were totally people I'd want to work with and learn from. They seemed to be totally dedicated to helping residents meet their goals whatever they may be. The residents and faculty seemed down to earth and more like peers in their interactions (first name basis, etc). Plus, the benefits presentation really showed how well organized the entire GME department is and the benefits are pretty outstanding. I didn't think a community program would be so high on my list, but they're the oldest community EM program in the country, and they seem to have been doing something right for like 40 years. Proximity to revitalized downtown Akron, and only 30 min to Cleveland is also nice. +/- Akron is a Level 1 Trauma Center, but they still send you to Metro for a month for additional Trauma exposure. OSU has the coolest residents on the trail, and the faculty overall seemed pretty young and enthusiastic. The PD was personable, and the chief resident I interviewed with convinced me of the token saying "the people are the best part." Residents intermittently dropped in to chat as did faculty. Good vibes from all of them. New ED construction next year could be problematic as can the whole vote on longitudinal peds vs peds months. New ICU tower should decrease boarding, Riverside/Grant experiences sound great. The hospital itself and sim lab are really nice, huge U/S emphasis, and the kind of resources you'd expect from the nation's largest single university campus.

3-4: Duke, USC-Palmetto:
Duke's PD was young and enthusiastic. The residents seemed like an eclectic mix from all over the country, and very outgoing. Offservice rotations are strong as both medicine and surgery are recognized as stellar nationally. The ED is nice, plenty of penetrating trauma. COL is cheap, and lots of things for young people to do in the Research Triangle area. Not sure about EM being a division of surgery and not its own dept-they state it makes no difference, but you always hear the opposite. Palmetto gave me the warm and fuzzies. The chair and the PD were some of the most personable people on the trail. I honestly felt lucky to have been able to chat with the PD in particular, and our conversation really stuck with me throughout the rest of the season in terms of setting the bar high. The hospital is nice, definite perks of being funded by a larger organization (private money). Still get decent amt of trauma, and nice weather is a perk. The residents seem to be predominantly from the South (not a bad thing, just stuck out to me), they work 12's most of the year, and not sure about a peds floor month (but they say its worthwhile). Big on international opportunities which I liked.

5-6: Case Western (MetroHealth), Indiana: Metro would undoubtedly provide great training. County program with academic perks, only Level 1 Trauma center in the whole Cleveland area so lots of trauma, residents seemed friendly. PD was nice, but other interviews were kind of cold.Residents reported staying 2-3 hours after 10 hour shift on a regular basis. Indiana wowed me in terms of the overall package. Residents were super friendly, diverse as you'd expect from a class that large, and seemed like they get top notch training. I had a great interview with the chief and one of the aPDs and it def moved this place up my list. The county place had a distinctly diff feel from the private hospital despite only being a few blocks apart which could be seen as good or bad, but I couldn't get a good feel of how they differed in support staff, etc. This place is pretty much it for the sick or severely injured in the state, so no problems with volume or acuity.

The rest in alphabetical order:

Case Western (University Hospitals)-[/U][/B] newish program, not a level 1 trauma center yet. PD was super nice, as was aPD, both very enthusiastic. Not a level 1 trauma center. Didn't click with the residents.
Henry Ford- amazing training esp with focus on critical care, tons of trauma and dialysis patients. Residents were nice. Don't think I could live in Detroit area-I'd just be too depressed driving to work everyday-if I thought I could handle it, it'd be at the top of my list.
Mayo Clinic- I don't think you can argue with the training you'd get here, crazy perks, and lots of chances to fly. Just couldn't see myself dealing with the weather. Best dinner I had on the trail though (T-bone, fondue and seared ahi as apps, amazing desserts). Residents were cool, heavy research emphasis esp on translational/basic sciences.
Summa Akron- beautiful new ED, prob the nicest I've seen on the trail, country club level perks for residents (unreal amounts of food, YMCA attached to hospital, etc), residents were friendly, insane sim lab facilities. Got a weird vibe from the PD, but my other interviews were fine. Spacious ED layout also means you're pretty far from your colleagues, so kind of on a lonely island it seems at times.
U of South Florida- ED and ICUs were nice, residents seemed really friendly and the most social bunch I had met. Best weather of any place I was at. The PD was friendly but hard to read (chalked up to being ex-military). His residents spoke highly of him. The aPD was a riot, and I really liked her sense of humor, and general outlook on things. They seem to work alot compared to other programs (22- 12's I think), but didn't seem bothered by that.
U of Toledo- PD is very well known in the ED community, nice, but pretty stoic. The Chair was a cool guy, easy to chat with. The residents seemed nice, come from all over (not just midwest). No pod or zone system, kind of makes staffing patients a free for all for both residents and attendings, but the ED is rather small so prob not a problem. Also rotate at bigger ED across town, but I didn't find out how they staff patients over there since its a private hospital. Rotate at 2 of the 3 Level 1 centers in the city, although the one they don't rotate at seems to be known at the major penetrating trauma place due its location.

It sure is that time of year! Everyone is getting nervous and attempting to somehow predict the intentions of a program. Programs also do the same at times. In the end, both should just rank on the basis of desire, and not base their desire on the perceived desire of the other. It is nice to know someone wants to match with you, and nice to know a program wants you, but trying to read between the lines of a letter or email is just torture for yourself.

Frankly if I put someone on the rank list, they get a letter, sometimes an email, and occassionally a phone call. But they do get contacted no matter what. And I would seriously be happy with any of the people on our list. Lesson here? Don't rank a place you would not want to go, and don't rank a candidate you would not want. We left some 15 people off the list in the end because the fit was just wrong. We'd rather scramble at that level as the scramble pool will probably be pretty decent. Best of luck to all of you! You have been one of the most competitive applicant classes I have had the privilege of meeting.

Frankly if I put someone on the rank list, they get a letter, sometimes an email, and occassionally a phone call. But they do get contacted no matter what.

Seriously? How common is it for programs to contact everyone on their rank list? I know a lot of people who haven't heard anything from almost anywhere.

Hopefully not very common. I haven't heard a word from a single program...

Last edited:
Hah why are people editing out there recent posts?

FSU decided it would be best to not be identified on here by his sexy rank list and charming locations.

12 days till D-day

FSU decided it would be best to not be identified on here by his sexy rank list and charming locations.

12 days till D-day

Lol, boo!!! 1200+ EM applicants (I think) and I bet more than half, easy, lurk on this forum....and so few lists?

12 days till D-day

Lol, boo!!! 1200+ EM applicants (I think) and I bet more than half, easy, lurk on this forum....and so few lists?

Lol. Sorry. Based on my user name and a few of my posts it would be very easy to find out who I am. I'm totally cool with not having much anonymity. I think you should stand behind what you say, online or not. But I had my rank list posted anonymously because I think it may be of some value to others, but I would prefer to have that stay anonymous. I bet DreamingTheLive is right and a ton of people who don't regularly post are lurking (I had a buddy from my school text me last week saying he saw my list even though I never told him my username, just based on the conversations we have had about our rank lists), and don't have the guts or desire to post their list. That's OK, but they should respect the sliver of anonymity that I was trying to keep.

Someone (who has never posted before) explicitly called me out on my rank list saying "this is probably FSU's list" - I didn't think that was appropriate and I asked him/her to remove it.

My guess is that there are still a lot of people waiting til Feb 20th for programs/applicants to certify :p

Lol. Sorry. Based on my user name and a few of my posts it would be very easy to find out who I am. I'm totally cool with not having much anonymity. I think you should stand behind what you say, online or not. But I had my rank list posted anonymously because I think it may be of some value to others, but I would prefer to have that stay anonymous. I bet DreamingTheLive is right and a ton of people who don't regularly post are lurking (I had a buddy from my school text me last week saying he saw my list even though I never told him my username, just based on the conversations we have had about our rank lists), and don't have the guts or desire to post their list. That's OK, but they should respect the sliver of anonymity that I was trying to keep.

Someone (who has never posted before) explicitly called me out on my rank list saying "this is probably FSU's list" - I didn't think that was appropriate and I asked him/her to remove it.

Should have just denied it!

:)

My guess is that there are still a lot of people waiting til Feb 20th for programs/applicants to certify :p

So programs cannot change their lists after Feb 20th either? Do we know this for sure?

So programs cannot change their lists after Feb 20th either? Do we know this for sure?

"February 20, 2013

Deadline for registration and ROL certification

Rank order list certification deadline
Applicants and programs must certify their rank order lists before 9:00 p.m. eastern time. Staff will be available to answer your questions during the final deadline hours. CERTIFIED applicant and program rank order lists and any other information pertinent to the Match must be entered in the R3 System by this date and time."

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/yearly.html

Pretty sure that means noone can make changes after 2/20...

Agree. Totally not cool. "Douchey" would be an appropriate term for that.

I felt the same way. Even if FSU is above making comments like that, I agree and let me say it. Total DB move.

I felt the same way. Even if FSU is above making comments like that, I agree and let me say it. Total DB move.

Comments like what? I did my best to keep it civil.

i've set mine and don't plan on opening the NRMP webpage again... i'll post mine after 2/20

No, FSU, I was defending you. I meant that you kept it civil... but if it were me, i'd call the other guy out. i was saying what he did to you was uncool. I had your back =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandoo

No, FSU, I was defending you. I meant that you kept it civil... but if it were me, i'd call the other guy out. i was saying what he did to you was uncool. I had your back =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandoo

Lol. Got it. Thanks.

I'm sad that no one has been posting on this lately. Its off the main screen, so back up to the top we go.

I think a lot of us will post after ROLs are in. I just don't want to jinx anything. Will likely post anonymously, too.

I think we should prob put a lot of these in their programs respective review threads on the sticky. Anyone wanna do it? If not, I'll look into it next time I have some downtime.

Is Loma Linda only taking 10 residents this year? The previous years it has been 13. Anyone know why the change?
Plus, does everyone get the e-mail after the interview saying you were placed on the rank list?

Is Loma Linda only taking 10 residents this year? The previous years it has been 13. Anyone know why the change?
Plus, does everyone get the e-mail after the interview saying you were placed on the rank list?

B/c a program doesn't have to rank you. Perhaps they just wanted to let you guys know.

Went over my list again tonite and I am officially done with it. Will likely post it tomorrow after the deadline so I somehow don't jinx myself.

Went over my list again tonite and I am officially done with it. Will likely post it tomorrow after the deadline so I somehow don't jinx myself.

Me too! I'll try to include reviews, since they helped me a lot throughout the process.

About me: 210s step 1, 230s step 2, all HP 3rd year, 2 EM rotations (1H/1HP), told I had good SLORs during some interviews. I would be absolutely thrilled with any of my top 4.

1. Penn - Can do anything here, whether it's going into academics or practicing in the community. The residents seemed very happy. I also liked Philly and my girlfriend has an acceptance to grad school here. This is the only 4 year program in my top 6, but I felt that the 4th year was meaningful. Plus you get the ivy league swag.

2. AECOM - Beth Israel - I really want to live in Manhattan while I'm still young. Residents were down to earth and really liked the PD.

3. North Shore - Have family in the area, residents seemed super competent and nice.

4. Maryland - Shock trauma seems cool. Seems like a great 3 year academic program. Only negative for me was Baltimore.

5. Jefferson
6. Drexel
7. GW
8. Staten Island U
9. LIJ
10. UF - Gainesville
11. UMDNJ - Newark
12. Brooklyn Hospital Center

K here is my list. Think I would be quite content at any, to be honest. If I fail to match EM/IM, than it just wasn't meant to be. I know I'll likely get **** for doing this many, but being a DO and ranking two specialties made me a bit paranoid; especially since most EM/IM programs only have a couple of spots. Good luck everyone.

My stats for future reference to those curious: Class Rank 3/76, usmle 1- 250s usmle 2- 250s comlex 1-730s comlex 2-680s, Sigma Sigma Phi, SAEM Excellence in EM award ( though after our applications were submitted so it really doesn't matter) Several national leadership positions for EC. Applied to 68, Interviews at 22 I think, went on 20.

1 EM/IM Virginia Commonwealth U Hlth Sys - Had a hard time between 1 and 2. The wife was the deciding factor.
2 EM/IM HCMC- awesome program and my home state.
3 EM/IM Christiana- had a good feeling while there
4 EM/IM University of Illinois at Chicago- got along great with the PD.
5 EM/IM Vidant Med Ctr/East Carolina Univ-NC- oddly enough location was a factor here
6 EM/IM North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY- 6th year critical care option is awesome
7 EM/IM Allegheny Gen Hosp-PA- was a bit worried as the hospital system is near bankruptcy.
8 Emergency Medicine HCMC
9 Emergency Medicine Dartmouth-Hitchcock Med Ctr-NH
10 Emergency Medicine Summa Health/NEOMED-OH
11 Emergency Medicine U Arizona COM at South Campus
12 Emergency Medicine U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY
13 Emergency Medicine U Iowa Hosps and Clinics
14 Emergency Medicine Wright State Univ Boonshoft SOM-OH
15 Emergency Medicine Vidant Med Ctr/East Carolina Univ-NC
16 Emergency Medicine St Vincent Mercy Med Ctr-OH
17 Emergency Medicine NY Methodist Hospital-NY- Wife would not like New York.
18 Emergency Medicine NYMC-Metropolitan Hosp Ctr-NY- Wife would not like New York.
19 Emergency Medicine Lehigh Valley Hosp-PA-4 year program and our tour guide was a no show so we roamed the hospital ourselves. Very disorganized.
20 Emergency Medicine Albert Einstein Med Ctr-PA-4 year program and I was not impressed when rotating there.

Last edited:
Not anonymous due to my non-obfuscatory user name, but hey, the flop and the turn have been dealt. All that remains is the river card...can't wait for March 15!

Step 1: 256
Step 2: 268
3rd year Honors: Surgery, Medicine, Pediatrics
EM grades: HP, H
Unusual application--two year leave of absence after first year to pursue competitive dance

1. St. Luke's Roosevelt
2. Maine Medical Center
3. UTSW Austin
4. Christiana Care
5. Orlando Health
6. University of Utah
7. North Shore
8. JPS
9. University of Washington
10. Boston University

I would be happy to match at any of these places. Best of luck to all both this year and the next! PM me with questions about specific programs, would be glad to share.

Last edited:
Socal native, top 20 school + avg step 1 + avg grades = avg class rank, 3 non-EM pubs, HP home EM --> applied to 40+ programs. 260s step 2, H 2x EM aways (3 SLORS) --> 23 invites, 11 rejects. Successfully solicited invites from 3 of 4 programs via email. Impression from the process: if you have weaker portions of your application you can make up for it later by impressing on aways/step 2/showing interest. Find a good advisor to help guide decisions on where to do aways, who to get SLORS from, where to apply/accept interviews. Since EM programs are so variable, esp academic vs. county, highly recommend doing aways in places you want to end up for audition, SLOR (external validity), and experience in different settings to help shape your preferences when it comes time to pick programs. Am very happy with at least how the interview season panned out (especially given how I was looking pre-M4 year) which I attribute to excellent advising in the M3 year. Good luck everyone in the Match—hope it works out well for us all.

1. UCSD: Pros: Well-balanced curriculum with the best variety of clinical sites I’ve seen—academic, county (hillcrest), various community shops. Excellent job placement in SD, which is the most ideal place to live/settle IMO. Flight, numerous fellowships/expertise in areas such as tox/hyperbarics, exceptional research, strong teaching hospital in multiple other disciplines, good amount of ICU and elective months. Impressed by both residents and faculty. Cons: lower volume in general, however, appropriate number of residents. Trauma is not traditional/less penetrating, however, extensive exposure as a senior and in Mercy Air shifts.

2. UCLA-OV: Pros: Also has excellent diversity of clinical sites. Excellent job placement in socal and eager to discuss future/current location of all alumni openly. Reagan would provide superior off-service rotations/medicine foundation. Lots of EM/IM folks who are impressive clinical teachers. Tons of elective time. Well connected, well-funded, well-organized. Cons: frequent driving between sites, floor>ICU emphasis in curriculum, lower trauma volume

3. Harbor-UCLA: Pros: Exceptional faculty and residents with a focus on teaching in the department. High-volume, high-acuity patient population, very hands-on. New ED with future county-EMR will help with efficiency. Impressive didactics and support staff. More elective time given 4y format. Cons: transition to 4y and new facility will have growing pains but for the best. Less resources, however, expected for a pure county facility and compensated by the quality of training.

4. LAC+USC: Pros: 2nd residency program in country = extensive alumni network, well-oiled machine. Ridiculous amount of patients seen with every conceivable complaint on the board at any time. Well-established graded responsibility, outstanding didactics. Cons: limited experience in settings outside USC, living near downtown LA, long hours, less focused on research, resources, weaker (though improving) off-service depts

5. UCSF: Pros: Academic/county split within a vibrant city. Only one graduated class but good job placement. Strong off-service rotations, research with AOD. PD though defensive at times with questions seemed genuine in her love for teaching and propelling the residency forward. Residents/faculty were comfortable, capable, and many of the growing pains seemed worked out. Cons: Would prefer so-cal, expensive COL

6. UCI: Pros: Academic/county/community mix with an appropriate number of residents for their volume. U/S Mecca, happy residents, close-knit ED, focus on efficiency, good location. Cons: not much elective time, small class = harder to have substantial hangouts/switch/coverage, smaller alumni network

7. Cincinnati: Pros: Excellent diversity of training sites, 1st residency program = extensive alumni, well-oiled machine, hospital leadership riddled with EM folks. Excellent flight program, tons of electives with a focus on developing your own niche. Faculty/residents were cool-headed and not arrogant. Personable leadership, business-minded, attention to detail. Cons: location.

8. Pitt/UPMC: Pros: Lots of extras for a 3y program: huge focus/expertise on EMS (Jeep/Flight) which develops autonomy. Good diversity of sites with a strong hospital system. Excellent job placement with many seniors set seemingly early. Residents seemed very happy. City has a lot of pride, affordable, PD has tons of experience. Cons: location/weather

9. Northwestern: Pros: Well-balanced curriculum with complimentary outside-hospital rotations. Exceptional leadership, with focus on final product/job placement. Huge ICU focus, strong faculty/residents. Huge dept with excellent volume, strong off-service, great resources. Chicago/downtown location is second only to California. Cons: Weather

10. Michigan: Pros: Northwestern plus a helicopter but minus Chicago/in AA. Great diversity of sites, strong off-service, heavy critical care emphasis. Good amt of elective time, strong faculty/residents. AA while smaller did seem charming and Michigan pride would quickly be infectious. Cons: smaller city with a bit of a frat-feel for better or worse

11-14 in no particular order
BMC:
Pros: “County + Resources”, lots of volume/trauma. Lots of elective time and diverse expertise. Cons: Boston, weather, got less of an academic vibe

Georgetown/WHC: Pros: Academic/county split with resources and a cool city. Energetic PD and happy residents. Cons: lower volume at academic hospital, prefer Best coast.

Loma Linda: Pros: Academic/county split with exceptionally friendly people. Location in so cal. Cons: location more remote, fewer people recently going to academics/more community

George Washington: Pros: Friendly faculty with a nice hospital in a cool city. Cons: prefer Best coast, other opportunities didn’t quite match my interests

Top 40 med school, mostly pass throughout med school, 3 EM rotations 1) home EM - Honors 2) home elective - NH 3) away at respected hospital - Honors, step 1 and step 2 close to national average.

1) SUNY Downstate Kings County - Keep hearing this program makes you a bad ass. +++ residents, faculty, trauma, academics, reputation, nyc, indigent population --- location (not super safe and crappy neighborhood), 4 year program (i prefer 3), ancillary staff, charting (t-sheet/mediocre EMR, questionable financial stability, not very diverse patients

2) Ohio State - Really felt it was the best all around curriculum +++ residents were super chill, 3 year, i liked Columbus, excellent ultrasound and CC fellowships, good academics, amazing facilities, well funded, brand new building with ED expanding to 100 beds, convenient (easy parking), peds exposure is amazing ---its not nyc, i think i prefer 18x12 more than 22x10

3) NY Methodist - Really attractive 3 year program +++ awesome location in NYC (in park slope, couple blocks from prospect park), great residents, excellent salary, really good ultrasound experience, subsidized housing --- not well known (mediocre reputation), other programs at the hospital were far from impressive, trauma experience (great experience at brookdale but not integrated)

4) Maricopa - Impressive 3 year program +++ good academics, only EM in town, well funded, free food, very fun residents, excellent burn center --- Phoenix, not a big fan... far from anyone I know and it is an urban sprawl, I couldnt find a place in town which had people outside in the night (weather could not be better), everything is far away and all buildings looked one story tall (yes I realize I only mentioned location)

5) UMDNJ - Newark - Great trauma/academic program +++ Newark has excellent trauma, good off service rotations, could live across Manhattan (Hoboken, Jersey City) and drive to work, residents were hilarious and very comfortable/joking with us, free food and parking --- 4 year program, prefer Brooklyn over NJ, felt like I had to justify why I wanted to live in NJ/NY area on my interview excessively, felt as though they didnt take me seriously as an applicant (maybe reading too much into it)

6) Christiana - +++Good reputation, nice facilities, 3 year program, both inner city and tertiary care center exposure, incredibly nice/organized people in the residency ---Delaware, bad traffic and not much around, from what I remember EMR was not impressive (but they had a innovative tracking system), didnt get to know the residents well

Not listing the rest