Ranking EM residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tubzy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find a good ranking of all the EM residencies out there?

Members don't see this ad.

This issue comes up periodically in this forum--you should check out the old posts. My impression from attendings, residents, students is that there really is no ranking like those arbitrary US news lists. The training is pretty uniform and choosing is more a matter of best fit for you. It's hard to know until you hit the interview trail it seems.

Old posts from more experienced people give their impressions of best county, research, regional programs.

Good luck!

Ask your attendings for their thoughts on programs. Sometimes they can give you a perspective that you migt not otherwise know, like program history, PD reputation or other gossip. The PDs are a pretty tight group. In fact, if they are willing, have your PD review your application with you to point out strengths and weaknesses. Big help.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand any ranking is purely subjective and usually about ten years behind the actual state of the program in question.

Reactions: 1 users
Think more in terms of where you want to work when you finish instead of rankings. If you plan on living in a particular city or state after your done it's easier to interview in state's your already living and licensed in. If you're interested in academics, consider places with more research. If you're interested in working in the middle of nowhere, train in places where you don't know what the anesthesiologists, ENTs and Cardiologists look like and you intubate, posterior pack, and thrombolyse in the ED.

If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there.

Using key words you can use the search feature to do a preliminary screen of old posts. This topic has been covered previously (more than a couple times).

Originally posted by endo
Using key words you can use the search feature to do a preliminary screen of old posts. This topic has been covered previously (more than a couple times).

I would probably use the phrase "ad nauseum."

Q

It's really true. I think we all started the same way though, trying to find "the best program," and then found out that meant "the best fit." But they really are pretty evenly matched in EM, and DO NOT go by who is strong in medicine and surgery. My approach was:

1) Decide where you want to live (ie - big city: NY, LA, CHI, Detroit... small town, costal, northeast etc...)

2) Have a feeling for academics or not. In this case, the program does matter. Some send out a lot to teach, others almost none. 4 year programs are probably better for research aka-teaching. We all say "maybe" then learn what it really means.

3) Make a broad list of all acceptable programs and review with a knowledgeable PD who can tell you the secret pitfalls and those programs headed for probation. Freida's list works well for this I think.

4) Research on Freida, Individual Web Sites, SAEM, ACEP, etc... Learn about size, volume, and diversity (often not related to location!!!). Don't worry about # of years so much, just find the right fit. Ask around. Do you like indigent patients, nursing duties, all white old ladies, gunfire, hands off or on, big names, free time, happiness??? -the choice is yours.

5) Make a reasonable list and I still used the rule of 1/3rds (most competitive / middle of the road / easier). This can be tough though, b/c programs in EM are not always what they seem. You will be suprised to find out during interviews that some programs you thought would be powerhouses turn out to be very weak when you get to know the details, and subsequently suck in the match despite their good names. Alot of times it goes by location. And some programs that you wouldn't guess are highly competitive b/c they base interviews on intangables and don't jump off the paper if you don't have the inside scoop.

6) Apply to a decent amount. I cancled over 1/2 my interviews once I got sick of interviewing and finally settled on what I was really looking for. Better to have too many than too few.

7) Rank in order of where you want to go. Base your final decision on (in any order): Will I get a good clinical foundation? Is this who I want to work and live with? Can I live there?

That's pretty much how I started I guess. There is no US News list, so stop looking.

Totally agree with Wrangler... personally, I found that after I started interviewing I really figured out what I was looking for. Also, I think my gut reaction to a program became much more important that a LOT of the statistics and facts. EM programs are highly regulated, so I think you get pretty equivalent training no matter what program you go to. Therefore, enjoying the atmosphere, location and people was more important that anything else in my decision. Just my 2 cents... :cool:

Hey, not sure how many EM residents are out there, but I am heading up a project at wikem to have residents add their program info to wikem.org as a "one-stop shop" for info. If you are interested in contributing, please follow the directions at http://blog.wikem.org/