ranking FP and another specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuckyCharms83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have decided I want to do PM&R and family practice almost equally. I am considering applying to both, which will hopefully buy me some time to decide on one or the other before it come time for me to rank them. I'll probably want to do PM&R audition rotations in the fall, and maybe I can squeeze in one auditional rotation in FP.

My concern is that since PM&R is relatively more competetive than FP, and that I definately want to stay in the midwest, limiting my residency options, that I won't be competetive enough for PM&R. Therefore, I was wondering that if I rank BOTH FP and PM&R, with my FP choices being lower on my rank list, if I don't get a PM&R spot will I be able to get a decent FP residency? Or am I just screwing myself for both of these by not chosing one?

Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly apreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I think you're crazy to put your future career choice in the hands of the match process. You (not the match) should decide whether you want to practice FM or PM&R, and then go after it with everything you've got.

If you're not a strong applicant, you might want to rethink the idea of limiting your program choice geographically. Moving away for three years isn't as bad as ending up in field that leaves you resentful for the rest of your career. You could always throw in some transitional programs as fall-backs, and re-apply next year if you don't match the first time around.

I don't understand why so many students are so fearful of the scramble. If you rank PM&R and then family, and match family, you will probably regret ever going into it. But I agree with Blue Dog, figure out which specialty you like first, and then choose.

On a side note, I do know how competitive PM&R has gotten. I ran into an intern from FL over the weekend who was interviewing in Chicago. He told me last year there were something like 12 spots total open after the match. Will there be any in the midwest? I don't know, I'm not a fortune teller. But you can either rank one specialty, risk not matching and having to scramble, or you can rank a back up, where in the same situation, you match to the back up and hate it. And if FP ends up being your back up, and you have to scramble, I'm sure you will find a spot in the MW.

Members don't see this ad :)
advice: do PM&R

from a PGY3 in FM

advice: do PM&R

from a PGY3 in FM

advice: do what you want, don't take other people's advice

from a MS IV in the match