RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, Thomas is probably stoned and playing video games right now...wasting his life away.

Said ex boyfriend is a genius and is going to cure cancer. And recently came out as gay. DAMMIT again.

Oo double whammy.

Members don't see this ad.

Oo double whammy.

Right?! Oh well. My boyfriend is applying to medical school this summer...that's another rant all together. I hope he gets good news and I do support him, but I wish he would have kept his pharm school acceptance. I guess it would be cool to be addressed as Dr. and Dr. psilovethomas

The theme of this spring is marginal academic burnout and a parade of masochistic relationships with strange redheads.

I know correlation does not equal causation, but I have my suspicions.

Members don't see this ad :)
He just asked for his ring back..

We went back and forth on this one, and it was alternately ugly and beautiful.

We were very, very young, but ended up thinking it through.

12 years later, he's committing to a long commute so I can go to vet school (after I supported him through 6 years of grad school). **** happens. It's pretty ugly, but it's not impermeable.

I suppose I should have thought about it before now, but maybe I was being irrationally optimistic. Anyway, I have no idea what to do with my life for the next year if the (now) slim chance of me getting pulled off a waitlist falls through.

Had my file review with WSU and was told to get unique experiences since I've pretty much maxed my veterinary experience. I don't even know where to start, my advisers were kind of at a loss too. I feel lost. And I feel embarrassed that I failed.

No, Thomas is probably stoned and playing video games right now...wasting his life away.+pity+:bang::boom::beat:

Said ex boyfriend is a genius and is going to cure cancer. And recently came out as gay. DAMMIT again.

:laugh: You can't win 'em all I guess

I suppose I should have thought about it before now, but maybe I was being irrationally optimistic. Anyway, I have no idea what to do with my life for the next year if the (now) slim chance of me getting pulled off a waitlist falls through.

Had my file review with WSU and was told to get unique experiences since I've pretty much maxed my veterinary experience. I don't even know where to start, my advisers were kind of at a loss too. I feel lost. And I feel embarrassed that I failed.

First of all, you should never feel embarrassed for working hard to achieve your goals, and secondly, you didn't fail. How do you figure you failed?

First of all, you should never feel embarrassed for working hard to achieve your goals, and secondly, you didn't fail. How do you figure you failed?

I guess, now that I'm not wallowing in self pity, that I only fail if I give up right? I put all this work in and stop trying. I suppose I was dreading that eventually I will have tell everyone, or they will figure it out on their own, that I didn't get in this year. I think also I was just panicking too because I need to figure out and soon a plan for the year.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SDN Mobile

I guess, now that I'm not wallowing in self pity, that I only fail if I give up right? I put all this work in and stop trying. I suppose I was dreading that eventually I will have tell everyone, or they will figure it out on their own, that I didn't get in this year. I think also I was just panicking too because I need to figure out and soon a plan for the year.

The anticipation of what people will think/say is MUCH worse than the event itself. TAKE IT FROM ME.

Tell a few key people, the rest will find out, and you will find the earth will still revolve around the sun

The anticipation of what people will think/say is MUCH worse than the event itself. TAKE IT FROM ME.

Tell a few key people, the rest will find out, and you will find the earth will still revolve around the sun

Thank you :oops: just sucks.
But I will perservere tenaciously.

The theme of this spring is marginal academic burnout and a parade of masochistic relationships with strange redheads.

I know correlation does not equal causation, but I have my suspicions.

:lol:

On a more serious note, got my financial aid for next year... $74,422.00:scared::wow:
So glad I have a financial plan. I have savings to pay for COL, my car is paid off, I have insurance through my parents, I have two laptops so don't have to buy a laptop, I am rabies vaccinated, and I have mutual funds and awesome parents to help pay for tuition. I would like to only take out about ~$20,000 next year, or at least that's what I have planned. My parents will contribute what they can per semester. They have been paying my undergrad (~$15,000/semester), so that will definitely help if they can contribute that amount again. They are awesome.I was recently told by my boss that if I can't work during the week next year, I cannot work. Don't know what to do, since my job is easy, and I only have to work 2 3 hours shifts during the week and can work as many as I want on the weekend. I can study/do homework at my job, but I don't know when I will have time to work during the week. I was going to use that money to pay for rent. Might just have to work a lot of OT this summer to make up for it or find a different job.

PP, how are you doing? We are here for you!:(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hematuria and lethargy in our kitty with kidney and bowel problems. Off to the emergency vet. :(

I didn't get in my first time. It's so normal to not get in your first time nobody bats an eye. And once you're in nobody cares how many tries it took you. Nobody even asks.

My experience was that most people are understanding when you don't get in. Most people understand it's a competitive application process, and there aren't seats for everyone.

It might take a bit of time, but you need to adjust your thinking until you get to the point where you look at it as an opportunity for more experience to be even better prepared. And remember - the application comes up surprisingly quick, because you've been waiting so long since turning it in. It's already due again in 5 months! That's one reason I always advise people to not stop building experience once they turn their application in.

Best of luck this next cycle!!!!

I can study/do homework at my job, but I don't know when I will have time to work during the week.

Plan on not working during the week. It's not impossible, but it's going to add more stress than it's probably worth, especially if it's a job not associated with school.

Jobs associated with school (at the teaching hospital, for instance) tend to be ideal because those people understand the vet school life, and they tend to be understanding when you can't work because of a huge exam, or whatever. Jobs offsite tend to be a little less understanding.

Most people with jobs work on the weekend in my class. I actually worked full-time September and October because of some pretty weird circumstances (in the process of getting laid off; it was supposed to happen before school started and didn't), and that was pretty miserable.

I applied 3 times before finally geting in this year. I know all the feelings you are having... all too well. The worry of what people will think, the feelings of inadequacy (mainly because all of your friends and family say things like "they are stupid not to let you in" or "if anyone deserves to get in its you" or "you will make the best vet ever!"), the overwhelming depression that controls you.

Those feelings happen - but you are intelligent and talented. You know that a rejection ( or acceptance for that matter) has no influence on your self-worth. You are a highly capable person who will eventually turn your dreams into reality. You have to listen to crappy file reviews that make you feel worse, but they are useful and important. Take what they say, and follow it.

If you want to talk more, PM me. I can empathize with your situation.

Last edited:
I applied 3 times before finally geting in this year. I know all the feelings you are having... all too well. The worry of what people will think, the feelings of inadequacy (mainly because all of your friends and family say things like "they are stupid not to let you in" or "if anyone deserves to get in its you" or "you will make the best vet ever!"), the overwhelming depression that controls you.

Those feelings happen - but you are intelligent and talented. You know that a rejection ( or acceptance for that matter) has no influence on your self-worth. You are a highly capable person who will eventually make turn your dreams into reality. You have to listen to crappy file reviews what make you feel worse, but they are useful and important. Take what they say, and follow it.

If you want to talk more, PM me. I can empathize with your situation.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Oh hello, there. You want to tell me about how mad you are that your vet declined to do a convenience euthanasia on your horse?

You want me to be mad with you too!?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

... but seriously, why do people come to me with crap like this and think I'll be on their side? Why do you think I WANT to hear about how you need to put your horse down because he's expensive and you don't ride him and he's got some arthritis and you're going to wait until THE SEMESTER IS OVER because it's just SOOOOO stressful.

Why am I going into this profession? Why do I do this to myself?

... but seriously, why do people come to me with crap like this and think I'll be on their side? Why do you think I WANT to hear about how you need to put your horse down because he's expensive and you don't ride him and he's got some arthritis and you're going to wait until THE SEMESTER IS OVER because it's just SOOOOO stressful.

Probably the same reason people feel a burning desire to tell me about how their vet is too expensive and they read on the internet that vaccines are bad and the chemtrails are making their dog pee in the house or whatever.

Probably the same reason people feel a burning desire to tell me about how their vet is too expensive and they read on the internet that vaccines are bad and the chemtrails are making their dog pee in the house or whatever.
:thumbup:

Yeah. It's the same thing. :smuggrin:

making them tame?! Bad bad bad!

Haha, don't even get me started she has the worst wildlife rehab practices EVER. Thank god she's not in charge haha. Her heart's in the right place, it just doesn't end well for anyone.

On a kitten note, we think she might have portosystemic shunt :( :( :( :(. She had another seizure this morning, it was way milder and shorter than the ones the other day. But it makes me wonder if she had been having seizures when I thought she wasn't. Everyone's telling me that they won't blame me for euthanizing her, but I don't want to do it unless I'm sure whatever she has is fatal. She's eating like a champ (almost too much), all bodily functions are go, and she's acting completely normally otherwise, so until that changes I'm going to keep at it. I generally tend towards euthanasia sooner rather than later, so it's unusual for me to try with something so hopeless, but I can't help it. Only problem is it's only more time for me to fall in love. I already know this one is going to be hard and the end sounds pretty inevitable...

So technically this should be a rave but this is response to comments to me on here:

You guys are all amazingly wonderful people!!!!!

I had a cold last week, and this week my migraines are non-stop. One of the reasons I took a year off was to get my health in order, and it gets me so frustrated that I've had to live with this for so long. I'm scared that vet school will be awful because I'll be in constant pain. This sucks :(

I had a cold last week, and this week my migraines are non-stop. One of the reasons I took a year off was to get my health in order, and it gets me so frustrated that I've had to live with this for so long. I'm scared that vet school will be awful because I'll be in constant pain. This sucks :(
I had migraines all first year. It sucked so bad. My birth control was the culprit. Stupid estrogen

Same here. I had to quit because of it. I'm happy the one I have now is better.

I wish birth control was the culprit. If so, I would have been all over that shiz 5 years ago.

It wasn't the problem, but it made them much worse. So I still have them, but not as frequent.

Hematuria and lethargy in our kitty with kidney and bowel problems. Off to the emergency vet. :(

Only a UTI, thank goodness. Holding off on antibiotics due to her mini kidneys until we get the results of the cystocentesis. Now, she's on buprenex and is HIGH AS HELL.

I'm a terrible cat mom in that I keep doing things that exploit her compromised cognition for my own entertainment.

I'm a terrible cat mom in that I keep doing things that exploit her compromised cognition for my own entertainment.

I have an OCD sheepdog. I have been known to hide her tennis balls and watch her frantically run around looking for them.... Or place said tennis balls on a shelf above her reach, but still in sight. Oh, the torture!

I have an OCD sheepdog. I have been known to hide her tennis balls and watch her frantically run around looking for them.... Or place said tennis balls on a shelf above her reach, but still in sight. Oh, the torture!

I read that as osteochondrosis dessicans, and pictured you laughing watching a painful lame dog hobbling around frantically looking for her tennis balls and thought, "wow, that IS really mean" :p.

I hate blocked kitties. F***ing hate them.

One of my friends/coworkers euthanized her cat in the wee hours of the morning because he blocked badly, has a life-time history of urinary issues, and she can't afford to spend the thousands of dollars it would have cost to get him unblocked and keep him hospitalized for supportive care, let alone the high probability of him reblocking and ending up needing surgery for a PU. She was hysterical - even I can't stop crying.

Stupid tiny male cat urethras. :(

I read that as osteochondrosis dessicans, and pictured you laughing watching a painful lame dog hobbling around frantically looking for her tennis balls and thought, "wow, that IS really mean" :p.

This made me laugh.

My rant: I understand that emergency clinics are sometimes very busy and have life-threatening cases come in back-to-back-to-back. I also understand that my parent's cat is a PITA and probably wants to rip your face off. What I don't understand is how you feel it's ok to bypass said cat for 12 hours when we already know he hasn't eaten in a day. I would like to thank you for allowing my parents cat to develop hepatic lipidosis while sitting in your cage and for then charging more to fix him. Hats off to you, e-clinic.

I am currently doing an assignment over different water treatment systems. Seriously? Why the f*** do I need to know details about different water treatment systems to be able to practice vet med? Stupid waste of my time. I hate this class.

My biochem exam Monday covers more dense material and more complex material, yet is worth half as much towards the final semester grade and is half as long. I hate when so much material is on a short exam, because I invariably know least the things covered on the exam. With a longer exam, I'd at least know some of the answers.
Also, my GPA can change drop only about 0.04 points at most even if I do pretty badly and I know one grade can't make/break an application.

I have no motivation to study, and know I will hate how clueless I will feel for about half of the hour exam Monday, yet can't bring myself to care. It's raining out and all I want to do is curl up with my kitty and a good book.

Careful! I had melanoma removed when I was 22 because of doing that one too many times! :cool:

I barely bet get sun burned, but today I got it really fast. Ugh. :(