RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's only day one of this block, and while I don't think it will be as bad (hopefully...) as the last one, I'm really done with school right now and the prospect of 8 more weeks of exams upon exams just makes me sad :(.

You're almost there. Just keep telling yourself, "I can do anything for one more week"... it helped me get through a number of rotations and difficult exam times.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You're almost there. Just keep telling yourself, "I can do anything for one more week"... it helped me get through a number of rotations and difficult exam times.
Thank you DVMD, I really needed that :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Really upset and angry. Did poorly on a microbiology take-home exam. I spent 20+ hours on it and got a 78. Looked over it and there are definitely things on there I should get points back for. My professor refuses to regrade it unless everyone hands in their exams to be regraded because he doesn't "grade in a vacuum"....I know my grades don't really matter anymore as much as they used to since I'm graduating and I did above the class average on the other 2 (A/A- on the other 2) but I still spent a lot of time on this exam and I think I deserve at least an 83. I hate when this kind of stuff happens :(. Feeling really beat down
Get everyone to hand their papers in to be regraded and see what new excuse he comes up with to not regrade them.

It doesn't matter at all that he doesn't "grade in a vacuum" (what does that even mean?), he should have a key put together and reevaluating if an answer is acceptable compared to the key isn't very difficult. Exams are to test student understanding of information, and allowing you to present your argument (and therefore your understanding of the information) is not only worthwhile (in my opinion), but also gives him an opportunity to guide you if your understanding of the information wasn't correct.

It should be a teaching moment, not a shooing moment.

Of course, the big caveat I should add to this post is that I'm definitely not a professor, so I don't have as much perspective on his side of things. I'm sure he has to deal with snooty students trying to crib points off of him all of the time, so I wonder if this is just a new policy he added to help curb that type of behavior? Either way, it sounds like he could have been a little more polite about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless someone from the higher education side of things wants to correct me, I never really undertsood the grading while comparing to other students thing. Does that not take away judging the student as an individual?

Unless someone from the higher education side of things wants to correct me, I never really undertsood the grading while comparing to other students thing. Does that not take away judging the student as an individual?
you also don't want to bias yourself.

you also don't want to bias yourself.

Ah. That's what I was missing.

There was a big blowup in one of my classes last semester because our final presentations were graded in comparison with everyone else's. A lot of people complained about that. we didn't know our grades until the day before we took the final, so I think that was the main cause of everyone's frustration. looking back though, wanting to avoid the bias really helps, especially grading presentations/research papers like we had.

Ah. That's what I was missing.

There was a big blowup in one of my classes last semester because our final presentations were graded in comparison with everyone else's. A lot of people complained about that. we didn't know our grades until the day before we took the final, so I think that was the main cause of everyone's frustration. looking back though, wanting to avoid the bias really helps, especially grading presentations/research papers like we had.
even with multiple choice it can have an effect. So I get not wanting to grade 1 on 1

I got some really bad news today :(. My pup's been fighting cancer for the past 4 years or so, with lumps popping up and us removing them. But this last one was on his knee, so it couldn't be removed all the way. We went through chemo with high hopes, but it looks like it just reoccurred right after our last chemo appointment. The vet sent out smear to the pathologist but it doesn't look good. We could take him back to surgery, but it didn't work the first time, or do more chemo, which didn't seem to help. I'm just so frustrated and I feel so helpless. I know this has been a long time coming but I just don't want it to happen :arghh:. The worst part is I can't even talk to my parents about it because they maintain since he's old I shouldn't be wasting my money. I have the mindset that if he has a good quality of life, I should do everything I can for him without sacrificing that quality of life. Now I just don't know what to do. The bump appeared on Sunday by my reckoning and it's starting to swell up bad. When it popped up the first time it took three days and was the size of a tennis ball and bleeding everywhere. I don't even know what my next steps are, because nothing seems to work. All I can do is see how bad it gets before it starts affecting him, and then I might have to put him down. This has been a very bad day.

Being on the client/owner side of things is so weird sometimes. I'm just so tired/frustrated/scared right now and I can feel myself taking it out on the ER. Between atypical presentation for vestibular syndrome (it only lasted 30 minutes at the most) and super unlikely reaction to revolution exists a lot of gray area. I feel like now I'm treating her for unrelated things that aren't even necessary to treat. At least if I knew it was the revolution I could say, ok, she has a weird reaction to that, we'll never use it again and it'll be fine. But if it's something else I don't know how I'm supposed to sleep or leave her at home alone all day without worrying that it'll happen again. I have such a headache.

I've TA'd for 3 years and done my share of grading exams, papers, etc - comparing a student's work to other students in the class in addition to how they individually fulfill the requirements isn't uncommon. For example, the first things I was taught to do when starting to grade something were to shuffle through the stack and look for a really great, A+ quality assignment or two, then look for a couple of assignments at the other end of the quality spectrum, and then quickly skim over some other assignments that fall between the two extremes. It actually helps you grade more consistently and more fairly, which can be more challenging than you might think when you are grading a ton of papers/exams/etc. So, I kinda see where the prof is coming from.

That being said, refusing to do a regrade of an exam without receiving the rest of the exams back is an interesting way to implement that technique, I would have to agree.

I got some really bad news today :(. My pup's been fighting cancer for the past 4 years or so, with lumps popping up and us removing them. But this last one was on his knee, so it couldn't be removed all the way. We went through chemo with high hopes, but it looks like it just reoccurred right after our last chemo appointment. The vet sent out smear to the pathologist but it doesn't look good. We could take him back to surgery, but it didn't work the first time, or do more chemo, which didn't seem to help. I'm just so frustrated and I feel so helpless. I know this has been a long time coming but I just don't want it to happen :arghh:. The worst part is I can't even talk to my parents about it because they maintain since he's old I shouldn't be wasting my money. I have the mindset that if he has a good quality of life, I should do everything I can for him without sacrificing that quality of life. Now I just don't know what to do. The bump appeared on Sunday by my reckoning and it's starting to swell up bad. When it popped up the first time it took three days and was the size of a tennis ball and bleeding everywhere. I don't even know what my next steps are, because nothing seems to work. All I can do is see how bad it gets before it starts affecting him, and then I might have to put him down. This has been a very bad day.
I'm so sorry :(

So sorry to hear this. :( That is a very hard thing.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm so sorry :( hugs to you and your pup.

Found the perfect house. I mean perfect. Fully remodeled, amazing bathrooms....everything including location and price.

Boyfriend says "Yeah, I'm not sure about that detached garage, I don't want to walk outside from my car."

Honestly, judging by the way things are going, he's going to have to build his own house. I think I just lost my status as the diva in this relationship :p

Reactions: 2 users
This happened a few days ago, but a similar situation recently came up at work that has it in my mind again....

One busy day at work, I was struggling to get all of my morning surgeries and drop offs done because all three of us in the back (2 assistants and myself) kept having to focus on answering the phones. The receptionist was tied up making outgoing calls for the day (follow ups, appt reminders, etc) and therefore really not answering the phone at all. It was to the point where we were struggling to get anything done in the back, because the phones just wouldn't stop ringing.... it's nearly impossible (and definitely not safe) to draw blood, place an iv catheter, etc by yourself. Because it was such a busy morning, I went to the receptionist and asked her to please hold off on her outbound calls for an hour or two until the phones settled down and we were more caught up in back... I explained that maybe if she would answer the phones, me and one of the assistants could get things done while the other assistant helped her answer phones. She gave me a snippy response and basically refused to stop the outbound calls. I was the only doctor working and my practice manager was off, so I was technically the one in charge, but she claimed that I was trying to keep her from doing her job and she refused to listen. It surprised me, because she's a really sweet girl and normally very much a rule-follower, kiss-up, etc... but whatever.

A few days later, she came to me to apologize. Apparently she'd had a talk with the practice manager and "I just didn't realize that you, as a doctor, had the authority to make decisions about the hospital like that. I'm sorry, I just honestly had no idea."

What's sad? I believe her... I don't think anyone ever told her that the doctor is in charge because, in a corporate hospital, they aren't. Just like I've had patients offered dentals against my recommendation, been pushed to do elective anesthetic procedures on sick patients, etc., this is just one more example of how corporate hospitals tend to view the doctors as the low man on the totem pole. I've heard my practice manager and field director tell other team members (on multiple occasions) "your job is to keep the doctors moving and keep their pet counts and revenue up... make sure they aren't gatekeeping, because nothing should slow the flow of pets through the hospital."

All of that is old news, of course, but I just can't stop thinking of that receptionist (who has since been promoted to an assistant-manager role)... "I just didn't realize that you, as a doctor, had the authority to make decisions about the hospital like that. I'm sorry, I just honestly had no idea." So bizarre.

Last edited:
Very frustrated and overwhelmed that I seem to be the only person on my medicine rotation stepping up to take 'fit in' appointments even though we are all overwhelmed here. Didn't matter I already had two inpatients today, one of which I've had since Thursday and got an extensive diagnostic work-up today all of which I had to be present for. You know it has been a long ass day when you finally sit to do paperwork and its 8:30pm, and think 'hmm, I haven't even gone to the bathroom all day I should finally do that.' Geez what a day.

I got home just a few minutes ago to crash for the night and my birthday card from my girlfriend came; cue tears, especially after the day I had. It's been a month since she's been gone and I miss her so much. I've been so busy on Medicine it hardly matters but still, some days are really tough without her here. Can it be September yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This happened a few days ago, but a similar situation recently came up at work that has it in my mind again....

One busy day at work, I was struggling to get all of my morning surgeries and drop offs done because all three of us in the back (2 assistants and myself) kept having to focus on answering the phones. The receptionist was tied up making outgoing calls for the day (follow ups, appt reminders, etc) and therefore really not answering the phone at all. It was to the point where we were struggling to get anything done in the back, because the phones just wouldn't stop ringing.... it's nearly impossible (and definitely not safe) to draw blood, place an iv catheter, etc by yourself. Because it was such a busy morning, I went to the receptionist and asked her to please hold off on her outbound calls for an hour or two until the phones settled down and we were more caught up in back... I explained that maybe if she would answer the phones, me and one of the assistants could get things done while the other assistant helped her answer phones. She gave me a snippy response and basically refused to stop the outbound calls. I was the only doctor working and my practice manager was off, so I was technically the one in charge, but she claimed that I was trying to keep her from doing her job and she refused to listen. It surprised me, because she's a really sweet girl and normally very much a rule-follower, kiss-up, etc... but whatever.

A few days later, she came to me to apologize. Apparently she'd had a talk with the practice manager and "I just didn't realize that you, as a doctor, had the authority to make decisions about the hospital like that. I'm sorry, I just honestly had no idea."

What's sad? I believe her... I don't think anyone ever told her that the doctor is in charge because, in a corporate hospital, they aren't. Just like I've had patients offered dentals against my recommendation, been pushed to do elective anesthetic procedures on sick patients, etc., this is just one more example of how corporate hospitals tend to view the doctors as the low man on the totem pole. I've heard my practice manager and field director tell other team members (on multiple occasions) "your job is to keep the doctors moving and keep their pet counts and revenue up... make sure they aren't gatekeeping, because nothing should slow the flow of pets through the hospital."

All of that is old news, of course, but I just can't stop thinking of that receptionist (who has since been promoted to an assistant-manager role)... "I just didn't realize that you, as a doctor, had the authority to make decisions about the hospital like that. I'm sorry, I just honestly had no idea." So bizarre.
It is always fascinating to me to see how different hospitals (and different markets) operate even within the same company. We definitely have the same understaffing issues that you've brought up before. But we almost never answer phones in the back unless we're not doing anything and the receptionist is obviously struggling to keep up with incoming calls. And we had the opposite situation where most everyone listens to our full time doctor over whatever the practice manager wants (but that might just be because it's not hard to tell that our PM is just shy of incompetent). I'm sorry you've been having a rough time :(

So I guess I blew a vein near my knuckle? No idea how but I developed a small hematoma and today it's all green and tender to palpation. Weird.
image.jpeg

It is always fascinating to me to see how different hospitals (and different markets) operate even within the same company. We definitely have the same understaffing issues that you've brought up before. But we almost never answer phones in the back unless we're not doing anything and the receptionist is obviously struggling to keep up with incoming calls. And we had the opposite situation where most everyone listens to our full time doctor over whatever the practice manager wants (but that might just be because it's not hard to tell that our PM is just shy of incompetent). I'm sorry you've been having a rough time :(

We answer phones in the back A LOT. I am not exaggerating when I say that AT LEAST 3-5 times per day, I answer the phone using my first name (posing as a non-doctor) and do things like schedule/reschedule appts, answer price-shopping questions (although I usually do try to hand them off to someone else for that, because the OWP spiel takes way too long when I'm expected to be seeing 22 pets/day!), etc. Drives me crazy. I'm not above doing it every now and then if things really get crazy, but it's not at all a good use of my time to have me spending 20-30 minutes per day as a receptionist.

Last edited:
We answer phones in the back A LOT. I am not exaggerating when I say that AT LEAST 3-5 times per day, I answer the phone using my first name (posing as a non-doctor) and do things like schedule/reschedule appts, answer price-shopping questions (although I usually do try to hand them off to someone else for that, because the OWP spiel takes way too long when I'm expected to be seeing 22 pets/day!), etc. Drives me crazy. I'm not above doing it every now and then if things really get crazy, but it's not at all a good use of my time to have me spending 20-30 minutes per day as a receptionist.

This is so crazy to me. We never ever answer phones in the back and if any of our 5 doctors asks you do something, you do it. Sorry about the shenanigans where you work ... I feel like it shouldn't be that way. And quantity over quality, gah :uhno: I don't know how you do it

I used to do this all the time. Drove me nuts, too

Of course, after all of the trouble I went through to get the free bloodwork/urinalyses on my cats, Idexx ran one of them as a large animal panel. The whole point of this was to get their SDMA values...

...did my car just die?
I think my car just died.

Jeez, that sucks. I've seen one of our doctors answer the phone maybe twice in a month. Sometimes a VA will answer just to put the person on hold unless it's an emergency. Otherwise if we're busy we just expect the CSC to handle it.

Very frustrated and overwhelmed that I seem to be the only person on my medicine rotation stepping up to take 'fit in' appointments even though we are all overwhelmed here. Didn't matter I already had two inpatients today, one of which I've had since Thursday and got an extensive diagnostic work-up today all of which I had to be present for. You know it has been a long ass day when you finally sit to do paperwork and its 8:30pm, and think 'hmm, I haven't even gone to the bathroom all day I should finally do that.' Geez what a day.

I got home just a few minutes ago to crash for the night and my birthday card from my girlfriend came; cue tears, especially after the day I had. It's been a month since she's been gone and I miss her so much. I've been so busy on Medicine it hardly matters but still, some days are really tough without her here. Can it be September yet?

We sort of had the same problem on my internal rotation. One person would grab the schedule sheet for the next day and assign herself one patient, then fall silent while the rest of us divvied up the rest of the cases (2-3 per person). Finally, towards the end of the rotation, when I got the case sheet (I was usually last to have it), I started saying "Hey, casedodger, do you mind taking the 10:00 appointment? Everyone else has a 9 and a 10:30 and you only have an 8" or something like that.

It's frustrating when it's just you that steps up, but try and speak up and offer cases to other people with some sort of reason behind it (I have to go help with the CT/biopsies/blood draws/etc). The clinicians notice who volunteers to take cases and who actively avoids helping out their team.

I don't think I've ever seen one of our doctors answer a phone call unless it was put on hold specifically for them. As VAs, we answer the phones if we aren't super busy and the front desk is swamped, but usually our CSCs are good at dealing with it.

Cytology's back. Mast cell's noted but not enough to say for certain it's a tumor. They think it's just a reaction to the surgery... which was three months ago. Yeah sure inflammation three months after a surgery, that makes perfect sense. Meanwhile the mass is swelling up like there's no tomorrow, which is exactly what happened last time. Grr I know I'm being snippy and it really could be inflammation, from what I have no idea, that just happens to be right under the old surgical site and displaying the exact same symptoms as the tumor that was previously there. But come on, for goodness sake you know how fast this happened last time, give me a call when you get the results in, don't wait until you're completely finished with the day to tell me you need to call someone else to get their opinion. Do not make me track you down for an update. You just wasted an entire day! I'm so frustrated with this right now.

Cindy is having another neurological episode after a full 48 hours of nothing. About to take her back to the ER. I really don't know what to think or do anymore.
Ugh, I'm so sorry. Fingers crossed they figure it out.

Ugh, I'm so sorry. Fingers crossed they figure it out.

She's staying there overnight, mostly so I can get some sleep because there's really nothing they can do but monitor her. I called a couple minutes ago to get an update before I head to bed, and apparently she came completely out of the episode about half an hour ago. So right now she's completely normal again. It's so freaking weird. I'm not sure how much I can afford to do as far as diagnostics go or where that would even start. Current ER doc thinks maybe she's throwing blood clots but it all is just very much guesswork right now.

She's staying there overnight, mostly so I can get some sleep because there's really nothing they can do but monitor her. I called a couple minutes ago to get an update before I head to bed, and apparently she came completely out of the episode about half an hour ago. So right now she's completely normal again. It's so freaking weird. I'm not sure how much I can afford to do as far as diagnostics go or where that would even start. Current ER doc thinks maybe she's throwing blood clots but it all is just very much guesswork right now.

:(

I hope they can figure it out. It's even harder when they're sick and you don't know why.

Dear clients,
Spay your damn dogs. I'm tired of pyometras and bad endings.
"But omg spaying is soooo not natural. My groomer told me that if I put this essential oil on it, it basically works the same as if we spay, but at half the cost and without the undesired side effects"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The only time I ever answer phones is if I'm trying to make a call and accidentally pick a line just as it starts ringing...

Reactions: 3 users

Sending good vibes your way!

I answer the phone with my first name sometimes. It's not a big deal. But this is a small place and our manager and main receptionist is having a lot of medical stuff happen so we are short up front most days, especially mornings.

I hope both of you figure out what's up with your critters and can get some answers, hopefully good news. @WildZoo, my kitty had two "grand mal" seizures out of nowhere and then went on pheno for a year. Nothing was abnormal that we could see without doing an MRI. After a year of pheno, I tapered her off and then she has been fine ever since. Can't explain. Cats are strange.

I answer the phone with my first name sometimes. It's not a big deal. But this is a small place and our manager and main receptionist is having a lot of medical stuff happen so we are short up front most days, especially mornings.

I hope both of you figure out what's up with your critters and can get some answers, hopefully good news. @WildZoo, my kitty had two "grand mal" seizures out of nowhere and then went on pheno for a year. Nothing was abnormal that we could see without doing an MRI. After a year of pheno, I tapered her off and then she has been fine ever since. Can't explain. Cats are strange.
Doc told me that if it happens again he would recommend neurology consult. I don't really know what else we could try as far as treatment without knowing what's going on, but he said he would do some research.

This is more of a whine than a rant, but my car is currently in the shop being repaired from when I got rear-ended a few weeks ago. The front end was pretty badly crunched since I got pushed into the car in front of me, but the back just had some scratches, and it was still driveable. My dad and my boyfriend are pretty savvy with cars, and they both figured the repairs would take maybe a few days to a week, so my boyfriend agreed to let me borrow his car. (My insurance won't cover the cost of a rental car and I can't afford it on my own.) Then when I dropped my car off Monday, the guy at the shop estimated 8-9 business days for the repairs, maybe more. Then today I got a call that they found more internal damage, so I won't have my car back until the 17th. :(

I'm grateful to my boyfriend for trusting me with his car (it's nicer than mine and he just bought it used in September), and he usually walks or takes the shuttle to work and school anyway, but I still feel bad leaving him without a car so much. I work two jobs, so it would be even less convenient for him to give me rides back and forth. IDK, I just miss my car and I'm tired of dealing with this. Good news is my insurance found the guy that hit me completely at fault, which I knew was the case, but I was still paranoid they would somehow try to pin it on me. I just have to pay my deductible (which is good, because it turns out there was over $5000 in damage!), and then they're going to try to go after the guy that hit me to get that back.

This is more of a whine than a rant, but my car is currently in the shop being repaired from when I got rear-ended a few weeks ago. The front end was pretty badly crunched since I got pushed into the car in front of me, but the back just had some scratches, and it was still driveable. My dad and my boyfriend are pretty savvy with cars, and they both figured the repairs would take maybe a few days to a week, so my boyfriend agreed to let me borrow his car. (My insurance won't cover the cost of a rental car and I can't afford it on my own.) Then when I dropped my car off Monday, the guy at the shop estimated 8-9 business days for the repairs, maybe more. Then today I got a call that they found more internal damage, so I won't have my car back until the 17th. :(

I'm grateful to my boyfriend for trusting me with his car (it's nicer than mine and he just bought it used in September), and he usually walks or takes the shuttle to work and school anyway, but I still feel bad leaving him without a car so much. I work two jobs, so it would be even less convenient for him to give me rides back and forth. IDK, I just miss my car and I'm tired of dealing with this. Good news is my insurance found the guy that hit me completely at fault, which I knew was the case, but I was still paranoid they would somehow try to pin it on me. I just have to pay my deductible (which is good, because it turns out there was over $5000 in damage!), and then they're going to try to go after the guy that hit me to get that back.

Fingers crossed you get your deductible back when they investigate the guy that hit you!! :xf:

I'm just a little pissed that I tore my ACL the last semester/summer before I start vet school. Instead of spending the summer doing whatever I want, I'll be getting surgery and going to physical therapy 3x a week and can't do any fun things like hiking, kayaking, swimming, etc. :arghh: I guess to make light of a bad situation, I will be forced to relax, watch a lot of Netflix, and read a lot of books!

I'm just a little pissed that I tore my ACL the last semester/summer before I start vet school. Instead of spending the summer doing whatever I want, I'll be getting surgery and going to physical therapy 3x a week and can't do any fun things like hiking, kayaking, swimming, etc. :arghh: I guess to make light of a bad situation, I will be forced to relax, watch a lot of Netflix, and read a lot of books!
You're not alone! I'm down to one arm this summer. I'm all about relaxing, but there were a lot of summer opportunities I didn't even apply to because of it.

Hopefully you get your justice. My best friend actually just got rear ended, it was really bad. She was stopped in traffic on the highway, and an F150 slammed into her going 70mph. All he got was a damn ticket. Are you KIDDING? Luckily she only has a concussion and her fiance walked away relatively unscathed, but the car looked like a crushed pop can. I can't even fathom how bad things could have been for them.

Just a ticket. Seriously. He had to have been texting. She said the traffic jam was pretty sizable, it's not like it came out of no where. :boom:

Does this sentence make ANY sense?

"The people do not exactly form an unassuming public when it comes to the ever-imposing presence of technology in our society: We can turn specifically to social media."

or is it just verbose and wrong.