RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some of my coworkers have no empathy for the doctors they work with, and it's a little upsetting. Earlier in the week, one of them was confiding to a few of us about burnout and stress and how overworked she feels. That was followed by a busy shift where she got annoyed that one of her clients was left waiting for 20 minutes before being seen. She was frustrated that people weren't moving fast enough. And then the gossip mill started up with people talking crap behind her back."Oh, so she has to stay late again? Good." Jesus christ, guys, grow up.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that my boss is trying to fire me. I had a write up a couple of months ago based on some really skewed, inaccurate numbers... and today $360 of my production was credited to my coworker instead of me, so now that will give her more ammo that my production for this week wasn't high enough. GRR. I'm so tired of being a salesman who is judged only on pet counts and production, never on quality of medicine.

Also, I'm tired of jerks. Like the lady who showed up today at 10 minutes after closing and threatened to 'report us for animal cruelty' because my receptionist told her that we were closed and her limping dog would have to go to the emergency clinic f she wanted to be seen tonight. The client said that she couldn't afford the e-clinic. My practice manager got involved and offered her a drop-off appointment for tomorrow so that the pet could be examined and have some xrays, which resulted in the lady going off on how we're only in it for money and how it's ridiculous that we can't just fix the dog's leg by "putting on a splint or something." Ugh. I am so tired of uneducated people yelling.

Finally, I am so tired of doing the veterinary work for the pocket pets at a pet store. They are all sick and so many die. I'm getting to the point where I really don't care anymore (like today, when they presented with an agonal guinea pig and I finished the wellness visit I was in before euthanizing) and I don't want to be that way. I'm angry at the pet store and angry at myself :(

Last edited:
@chickenlittle

Maybe try working at *the other* big corporate entity? You still get the perks of corporate practice, but doctors are in general much happier... There are a ton of vin threads on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
@chickenlittle

Maybe try working at *the other* big corporate entity? You still get the perks of corporate practice, but doctors are in general much happier... There are a ton of vin threads on the topic.

The other corporation doesn't have any hospitals in my area. It's this corporation and a bunch of horrendously old-school practices that don't believe in things like IV catheters for anesthesia and believe all the evils of the world can be cured with an old pen/dex injection. Still looking for my non-vet job.

I recently had a recruiter contact me about an awesome-sounding non-practice job, but a) relocation isn't really an option and b) I have to meet with an attorney to figure out whether industry would violate a really vague/sketchy clause in my non-compete. So... hopefully soon.

Last edited:
I recently had a recruiter contact me about an awesome-sounding non-practice job, but a) relocation isn't really an option and b) I have to meet with an attorney to figure out whether industry would violate a really vague/sketchy clause in my non-compete. So... hopefully soon.

Def meet with the attorney but it shouldn't if you're not practicing. Because noncompetes are not supposed to be punishment for leaving, just something to protect the previous employer's business. If you're not in competition with them, then it shouldn't matter

Def meet with the attorney but it shouldn't if you're not practicing. Because noncompetes are not supposed to be punishment for leaving, just something to protect the previous employer's business. If you're not in competition with them, then it shouldn't matter

Yeah, it shouldn't.... but my state tends to uphold noncompetes pretty strongly and the contract forbids me from working with any business that (among other things) "conducts clinical trials relating to the development or production of veterinary medication or pet products." We'll see what the lawyer says, but I want to be safe. Honestly, I kind of want to run as far from vet med as possible but I realize that a switch to industry may be easier than going into a completely new field.

Yeah, it shouldn't.... but my state tends to uphold noncompetes pretty strongly and the contract forbids me from working with any business that (among other things) "conducts clinical trials relating to the development or production of veterinary medication or pet products." We'll see what the lawyer says, but I want to be safe. Honestly, I kind of want to run as far from vet med as possible but I realize that a switch to industry may be easier than going into a completely new field.
Dude, seriously? Wtf...!?

The first practice I ran from had all sorts of messed upness associated with it. But that contract is a special level of asshattery.

My biology professor this semester put in our grades on friday, and it says "lecture:88, lab:81, final total: 76". What the hell?!??! Lecture is supposed to be 75% of our grade and lab is 25%. How does that math make any sense? It should be 86%! I've been emailing and texting her because she said she's putting in the final grades on monday and she won't answer me! About to have to submit an acedemic appeal or something ugh.

Also I'm trying to transfer to a different university and my current uni sent the transcript in a way that just says I have 18 credit hours from AP classes, but doesn't list what those individual credits are for. So the uni I'm applying to has denied me due to lack of credits, even though they know I have them, they just don't like the way my current uni organized them on my transcript. I can't get either univeristy to budge on it, and I've been on the phone all weekend and writing an admissions appeal letters in hopes of getting an extension on my application. But I might be stuck at this university another 6 months to a year.....

On the bright side, I got my first ever paying job on friday!

Dropped my phone while I was grocery shopping and the screen shattered. Awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only good thing about people regularly complaining about their children/husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend openly on FB is that I know who to hide/unfriend. Pet peeve.

Reactions: 1 user
So sick...popping tylenol, advil, pepto, and phenergan every 6 hours. My liver is going to hate me..all in hopes that I am better for graduation on Friday

:barf:

Got home from work, put Revolution on my cats, not 5 minutes later my older cat starts circling, tilting her head to the side, eyes darting back and forth. Bathing the revolution off didn't help. So now she's at the ER, tentative diagnosis of vestibular disease. They said she was already walking better and getting ornery (that last bit makes me feel better, it's not Cindy if she isn't voicing her displeasure) before I left so hopefully everything will be ok...pending bloodwork, ear cytology, sub q fluids, probably something else that I'm forgetting. I'm sitting at home now waiting for them to tell me she's ready to go.

I hate to think about it but if this had happened earlier in the day I could have had the same stuff done that they're doing right now at work for like a quarter of the cost at most. Sigh.

Got home from work, put Revolution on my cats, not 5 minutes later my older cat starts circling, tilting her head to the side, eyes darting back and forth. Bathing the revolution off didn't help. So now she's at the ER, tentative diagnosis of vestibular disease. They said she was already walking better and getting ornery (that last bit makes me feel better, it's not Cindy if she isn't voicing her displeasure) before I left so hopefully everything will be ok...pending bloodwork, ear cytology, sub q fluids, probably something else that I'm forgetting. I'm sitting at home now waiting for them to tell me she's ready to go.

I hate to think about it but if this had happened earlier in the day I could have had the same stuff done that they're doing right now at work for like a quarter of the cost at most. Sigh.

Sorry WZ, I hope she's okay :(

I hope she gets well soon! My sister's cat also had vestibular disease a couple years ago and it was the scariest thing, seeing her circling and stumbling everywhere. She was only a kitten at the time and I was crying before we found out what was wrong, but she made a full recovery.

So there another prevet at my school who got into LSU while I didn't. Ignoring the fact that we will be colleagues, he hangs it over my head completely, and runs around telling everyone that "only the best are meant to be Tigers" and all of this crap. When he found out I was applying this year he came over to "hang out" but really came to tell me has a 4.0, his application would be awesome, and the president of the university wrote him a LOR. He made comments about my GPA being too low and getting ready for 2021. I cried for hours after he left and never invited him back. Well today he found me in the library and saw me studying for finals. He started saying stuff like "oh, when I took biochem, we didn't have a final" and "my finals are open notes" and all of this stuff. I'm im the honors college and he isn't so the reason my GPA isn't 4.0 is because my classes were so much more rigorous through undergrad. He hasn't taken near the science hours I have and is way less involved than I've been. Perhaps if I was the traditional biology major, I'd have an acceptance to my IS right now. Sigh. I really want that file review now.

I hope she gets well soon! My sister's cat also had vestibular disease a couple years ago and it was the scariest thing, seeing her circling and stumbling everywhere. She was only a kitten at the time and I was crying before we found out what was wrong, but she made a full recovery.
It scared me really bad. She had a traumatic brain injury when she was a kitten and it reminded me of what she was like while she was recovering from that. I feel better the more I read about it, but still I don't know that I could ever bring myself to use Revolution on her again. Pretty sure the only reason I haven't burst into tears yet is because I'm using all the energy I have on not doing that. They said she's doing well enough that I should be able to take her home tonight but I'm not sure how I'm going to sleep.

So there another prevet at my school who got into LSU while I didn't. Ignoring the fact that we will be colleagues, he hangs it over my head completely, and runs around telling everyone that "only the best are meant to be Tigers" and all of this crap. When he found out I was applying this year he came over to "hang out" but really came to tell me has a 4.0, his application would be awesome, and the president of the university wrote him a LOR. He made comments about my GPA being too low and getting ready for 2021. I cried for hours after he left and never invited him back. Well today he found me in the library and saw me studying for finals. He started saying stuff like "oh, when I took biochem, we didn't have a final" and "my finals are open notes" and all of this stuff. I'm im the honors college and he isn't so the reason my GPA isn't 4.0 is because my classes were so much more rigorous through undergrad. He hasn't taken near the science hours I have and is way less involved than I've been. Perhaps if I was the traditional biology major, I'd have an acceptance to my IS right now. Sigh. I really want that file review now.
What a dick, wow

Reactions: 1 users
It scared me really bad. She had a traumatic brain injury when she was a kitten and it reminded me of what she was like while she was recovering from that. I feel better the more I read about it, but still I don't know that I could ever bring myself to use Revolution on her again. Pretty sure the only reason I haven't burst into tears yet is because I'm using all the energy I have on not doing that. They said she's doing well enough that I should be able to take her home tonight but I'm not sure how I'm going to sleep.
Sorry WZ, hope she is herself again soon :( Do you think the Revolution caused it?

Also, the cysto/blood draw gods are not on my side today. Or the other day. My tech friend and I could NOT get blood or urine on either of my cats, so I don't get the free u/a or CBC + chem 27 :( I'm going to call their vet tomorrow and see if there's any chance they can squeeze me in for a quick draw.

Ignore him. He sounds horribly insecure and not worth your time.
I'm sorry. It stinks to watch someone who behaves like that get something you wanted. But if you were going to your IS, you'd be stuck with another four years of his nonsense.

Reactions: 4 users
He made comments about my GPA being too low and getting ready for 2021. I cried for hours after he left and never invited him back. Well today he found me in the library and saw me studying for finals. He started saying stuff like "oh, when I took biochem, we didn't have a final" and "my finals are open notes" and all of this stuff. I'm im the honors college and he isn't so the reason my GPA isn't 4.0 is because my classes were so much more rigorous through undergrad. Perhaps if I was the traditional biology major, I'd have an acceptance to my IS right now. Sigh.
:wtf::wtf::wtf:

He SUCKS. Also, as someone who graduated from LSU, took my first biochem attempt at LSU (and failed it there!!), I wish we had it that easy. :laugh:

Yeah, once I started reading up on it I felt a LOT better (in part because I remembered hey wait a minute, I'd seen this before in that vet emergency game I played when I was a kid :p). Before I knew what was going on though, I thought she had brain damage and was going to die, plus my sister was at an OOS school at the time so how were we to tell her about her kitty if that happened? Luckily there was no need! I'm still not sure what triggered it though, it wasn't after flea med.

Sorry WZ, hope she is herself again soon :( Do you think the Revolution caused it?
I did at first but from what the vet was telling me it's very unlikely unless she got an extreme overdose or ingested it (and I know neither of those things happened). I just can't help the "what if" feeling so I'll probably just do heartgard for her in the future and pass on flea prevention since she's indoor anyway and has never had a flea problem.

I understand. Even if it wasn't the Revolution I'd never want to use it to. Sounds like a scary coincidence!

I did at first but from what the vet was telling me it's very unlikely unless she got an extreme overdose or ingested it (and I know neither of those things happened). I just can't help the "what if" feeling so I'll probably just do heartgard for her in the future and pass on flea prevention since she's indoor anyway and has never had a flea problem.
I'm sorry that happened to your kitty. FWIW, my kitties take heartguard and haven't had any issues; so, hopefully your kitties do well with the switch.

I was with you until half way through your post. Keep your head held high and take the high road. You are stooping to the level of this douche with the last half.

In the end, I swear these things catch up with people. Karma is a thing, esp in a tiny profession like this. So don't be the person who has a chip on her shoulders. It's unattractive and people will notice if you keep it up. You're going to vet school. That's all that matters. Just rock it moving forward. That's all anyone will care about as long as you aren't mumbling shoulda coulda woulda.

I was with you until half way through your post. Keep your head held high and take the high road. You are stooping to the level of this douche with the last half.

In the end, I swear these things catch up with people. Karma is a thing, esp in a tiny profession like this. So don't be the person who has a chip on her shoulders. It's unattractive and people will notice if you keep it up. You're going to vet school. That's all that matters. Just rock it moving forward. That's all anyone will care about as long as you aren't mumbling shoulda coulda woulda.

Thank you. I needed that.

Reactions: 2 users

What a serious jerk. If anything, feel sorry for him...

MSU is an awesome school. Be excited for what's to come. Things always work out how they're supposed to.

The beauty is, I swear you'll see this dude crash and burn at some point in the next decade or so, and you won't feel sorry for him. Karma's a bitch

Agree. It always catches up, the question is just when, and a decade seems a pretty reasonable window.

Really need to start packing for my move and I just don't want to. At all. Partially because I'm still in denial that I'm leaving Philly and two, I just hate that I never can organize myself while packing so it makes unpacking such a freaken chore. Oh and that my stuff will just be cluttering my room at my parents' for like a month until I move north.

1) Water heater is broken and won't be fixed for 4-5 days. Had the brilliant idea to get the free 7 day trial at Anytime Fitness to go shower there, but they can't start it on Sunday. So now I'm in denial about my upcoming cold shower.
2) Ordered Chinese food and it's just very disappointing, like no flavor to it at all. And of course I ordered enough to have leftovers because that's how I roll and now I can't even look forward to leftovers.
3) I'm just generally lonely and miss my pets and my BF (in that order, but don't tell anyone :p)
4) Did not accomplish 10% of the things I wanted to get done this weekend. No one to blame but myself, but still. Disappointing.

1) Water heater is broken and won't be fixed for 4-5 days. Had the brilliant idea to get the free 7 day trial at Anytime Fitness to go shower there, but they can't start it on Sunday. So now I'm in denial about my upcoming cold shower.
2) Ordered Chinese food and it's just very disappointing, like no flavor to it at all. And of course I ordered enough to have leftovers because that's how I roll and now I can't even look forward to leftovers.
3) I'm just generally lonely and miss my pets and my BF (in that order, but don't tell anyone :p)
4) Did not accomplish 10% of the things I wanted to get done this weekend. No one to blame but myself, but still. Disappointing.
Does your school have showers, or are they as creepy/dirty as ours?

I swear I was craving Chinese soooo badly today and I realized the only place in town is closed on Sunday... When I got there. :boom:

I swear I was craving Chinese soooo badly today and I realized the only place in town is closed on Sunday... When I got there. :boom:
Had a similar disappointment...My boyfriend and I went to go get donuts this morning. We wanted the legit kind from a shop with no website/phone number kind of deal. Walked in, heard angels singing from the donut case. Cash only. We had no cash.

Fixable, yet still heartbreaking.

Geeze, what's this guy's damage?

Speaking from personal experience, these people are not only not worth the mental effort it takes to worry about them, but also quickly make everyone around them realize it. How successful do you think this person is going to be when he talks like this around his future classmates or his professors? How successful will he be given that he seems to have a grand old time crushing the self esteem of other people? How successful do you think he will be when, as a veterinarian (and if he hasn't shaken this attitude by then), he talks down to all of his clients?

Don't get me wrong - getting a 4.0 etc. takes a ton of work and the dude is clearly qualified to be a veterinarian if a school accepted him. He's got the hard skills necessary to do the job. But he's probably going to have to work on those soft skills for a long time if that's his attitude. What you've described is toxic and heartless and no way to conduct oneself around other people, regardless of whatever opinion they may hold of that person.

Hopefully he grows out of it, and I encourage you to hope the best for him if only because seeing any person act like that is so disappointing and sad. I like being able to see the best in people and it really sucks when they make it (really) hard.

I agree with Minnerbelle here.

Don't worry about not getting in to LSU (I would also like to add that as much as you're bummed to have not gotten an acceptance, you were waitlisted, which is no easy feat and something you should be proud of!). You're going to vet school at a place that you really like! There's no way that he can lord going to vet school over you because you're going too. He's picking on the LSU aspect probably because he knows it's a sore spot for you (and people like this usually love to pick at stuff like that). No one at MSU will know that you didn't get into your IS unless you tell them.

From your posts on this forum you seem like a well-rounded, thoughtful, kind person, and that's something that you need to focus on and think about. It can feel really rewarding in a visceral way to talk down about someone who frustrates and upsets you, but it is better for your character and your outlook to ignore them and focus on better things.

Besides, I'm reminded of a quote my dad always used to tell me: "Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig loves it." - George Bernard Shaw

Reactions: 6 users
Geeze, what's this guy's damage?

Speaking from personal experience, these people are not only not worth the mental effort it takes to worry about them, but also quickly make everyone around them realize it. How successful do you think this person is going to be when he talks like this around his future classmates or his professors? How successful will he be given that he seems to have a grand old time crushing the self esteem of other people? How successful do you think he will be when, as a veterinarian (and if he hasn't shaken this attitude by then), he talks down to all of his clients?

Don't get me wrong - getting a 4.0 etc. takes a ton of work and the dude is clearly qualified to be a veterinarian if a school accepted him. He's got the hard skills necessary to do the job. But he's probably going to have to work on those soft skills for a long time if that's his attitude. What you've described is toxic and heartless and no way to conduct oneself around other people, regardless of whatever opinion they may hold of that person.

Hopefully he grows out of it, and I encourage you to hope the best for him if only because seeing any person act like that is so disappointing and sad. I like being able to see the best in people and it really sucks when they make it (really) hard.

I agree with Minnerbelle here.

Don't worry about not getting in to LSU (I would also like to add that as much as you're bummed to have not gotten an acceptance, you were waitlisted, which is no easy feat and something you should be proud of!). You're going to vet school at a place that you really like! There's no way that he can lord going to vet school over you because you're going too. He's picking on the LSU aspect probably because he knows it's a sore spot for you (and people like this usually love to pick at stuff like that). No one at MSU will know that you didn't get into your IS unless you tell them.

From your posts on this forum you seem like a well-rounded, thoughtful, kind person, and that's something that you need to focus on and think about. It can feel really rewarding in a visceral way to talk down about someone who frustrates and upsets you, but it is better for your character and your outlook to ignore them and focus on better things.

Besides, I'm reminded of a quote my dad always used to tell me: "Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig loves it." - George Bernard Shaw

You are so awesome!

I'm gonna have a real moment and tell you that back when I was in high school and real immature this used to be me. Or more often than not I got jealous when people did better than I did and didn't encourage them to better themselves. Then I realized, oh yeah, it's good to know people that are getting ahead! And it's suppppppeeeerr crappy to put others down to make yourself feel better. What he needs to realize, he should've realized back when he was 17, that you can be proud of yourself without comparing your accomplishments with others. Especially verbally, come on now, we're supposed to build each other up in this profession, not down.

Last edited:
I can't get in to see my GP for 2 months to update my tetanus and get started on rabies. And I had to play phone tag with my specialist for 2 weeks to schedule a post-op recheck, and although I'm supposed to be seen 4 weeks after the procedure, they can't see me until 7 weeks out. So when I think about how at our hospital we just let emergencies come in 20 minutes before close because the client insists or we just take care of people who walk in without an appointment regardless of what they're there for or when we double-book because a client really wants to see Dr. X and NO ONE ELSE, I kind of want to rip my hair out and set something on fire.

I am having a really ****ty birthday and I guess I am going to talk about it now:

My phone screen shattered yesterday so I spent the morning wrestling with insurance claims to get a replacement device issued. Frustrating.

My oldest friend from college has to come back to the east coast for a wedding this summer. I asked her to come visit me at the beach (and said I'd handle the cost/logistics) so I can spend time with her before vet school since god knows when I'll see her again. Today she told me she can't because a) finances and b) the wedding and preceding events are too stressful so she 'just can't deal with it. ' Understandable but upsetting.

I usually keep my credit card/license in my phone for convenience but took them out when I was dealing with phone shenanigans. Didn't grab my wallet when I walked to the grocery store and only realized I had no way to pay at the register. Cue 30 minute walk back. Aggravating.

And...my boyfriend of 4+ years dumped me in January. Tldr: He had difficulty with emotional confrontation, froze up when I asked him to tak to me, and dumped me soon after by saying he didn't want to work on the issues in our relationship. Hasn't talked to me since. I am still dealing with the hurt from this breakup.

Today he sent me a text saying basically 'I have no idea if you even want to hear from me at all at this point, but happy birthday.' Which seems straight forward but is kind of passive aggressive and puts all the burden on communication of me. With the baggage of our relationship, this is very upsetting to me. I don't know what to do with it. I'm still so angry/hurt at how I was treated.

I feel old, lonely, and just thoroughly miserable right now. /info dump.

I am having a really ****ty birthday and I guess I am going to talk about it now:

My phone screen shattered yesterday so I spent the morning wrestling with insurance claims to get a replacement device issued. Frustrating.

My oldest friend from college has to come back to the east coast for a wedding this summer. I asked her to come visit me at the beach (and said I'd handle the cost/logistics) so I can spend time with her before vet school since god knows when I'll see her again. Today she told me she can't because a) finances and b) the wedding and preceding events are too stressful so she 'just can't deal with it. ' Understandable but upsetting.

I usually keep my credit card/license in my phone for convenience but took them out when I was dealing with phone shenanigans. Didn't grab my wallet when I walked to the grocery store and only realized I had no way to pay at the register. Cue 30 minute walk back. Aggravating.

And...my boyfriend of 4+ years dumped me in January. Tldr: He had difficulty with emotional confrontation, froze up when I asked him to tak to me, and dumped me soon after by saying he didn't want to work on the issues in our relationship. Hasn't talked to me since. I am still dealing with the hurt from this breakup.

Today he sent me a text saying basically 'I have no idea if you even want to hear from me at all at this point, but happy birthday.' Which seems straight forward but is kind of passive aggressive and puts all the burden on communication of me. With the baggage of our relationship, this is very upsetting to me. I don't know what to do with it. I'm still so angry/hurt at how I was treated.

Omg :( I'm so sorry you're having a bad day. I hope it gets better, maybe you can go out tonight and get some drinks with friends. Sending lots of happy vibes your way!!

I'm so sorry. :( That sucks. Sending lots of hugs your way - and wishes for a legitimately happy rest of your birthday.

5 part time jobs apps in... 1 rejection and very little luck finding anymore seasonal jobs. I swear when I was 18 I was hired at two places on the spot. When did it get so hard?!

We're here for you. Sorry today sucks!