RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am so frustrated and bummed right now. I'm retaking Orgo I so that I can apply to vet schools. I was really hoping I could wrangle an A and I've been working SO HARD since the class started - harder than I've ever worked. I'm actually interested in the subject material and enjoy lectures. I did fine on my first test, comparatively (77%) but didn't do well on our two of three quizzes. We had a second test today that I worked so hard to prepare for. I was -dreaming- about mechanisms. I got a 66% on it. Granted, I don't know the average but even if I get 100% on my last quiz and final, I technically don't make the cut for an A (she listed 84% as an A on the syllabus). I feel really bummed right now, like all my hard work isn't mattering.

I can at least get a B, which is good, but I'm trying so hard to boost my GPA and show adcoms that I'm serious about this. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I think Organic Chemistry is just a very different beast. I truly believe that success in that course totally depends on the professor. On my exams you scored better than I did, I received a 79 and 72. My professor believed in curving, and thus ended up with a 94 and 86 respectively with the ability to replace our lowest test grade with our final. I worked my butt off in that class. I studied consistently everyday for hours on end, you should see my notes for this class. Yet, I could not get better than in the 70s. Our average scores were a 40. Yes I got an A, but it was only because my teacher believed in curving. I hate my professor, she refused to help, and gave multiple choice and essay questions, but I owe my A to the fact she curves.

I think Organic Chemistry is just a very different beast. I truly believe that success in that course totally depends on the professor. On my exams you scored better than I did, I received a 79 and 72. My professor believed in curving, and thus ended up with a 94 and 86 respectively with the ability to replace our lowest test grade with our final. I worked my butt off in that class. I studied consistently everyday for hours on end, you should see my notes for this class. Yet, I could not get better than in the 70s. Our average scores were a 40. Yes I got an A, but it was only because my teacher believed in curving. I hate my professor, she refused to help, and gave multiple choice and essay questions, but I owe my A to the fact she curves.

Sometimes I WISH I had m/c questions on my orgo exams! Yes yes, the point of orgo is pretty much the mechanisms and reactions and blablabla, but I would have loved a 1/5 chance of getting an answer correct when I was totally clueless, compared to a 0% chance when leaving things completely blank haha :laugh:

Orgo II was the ONE class that just absolutely squished me, no matter how hard I tried. It didn't help that our professor gave us these insane mechanism problems with over 20 steps in them involving reactions we hadn't even learned yet because we were just supposed to "get it and be creative" (we'd show them to our TA's, aka PhD students, after our exam to figure out what we did wrong... and they just kind of threw their hands up in the air because they were like "wtf is this question?!). Awesome professor personality wise though and fairly good teacher, I think he just expected too much out of us even though I really did like the subject and class other than my grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can at least get a B, which is good, but I'm trying so hard to boost my GPA and show adcoms that I'm serious about this.

When I think of 'GPA boosters', Ochem is just a tick above Roughing Up the Professor.

Reactions: 1 user
Ughhhhh. So, I lived in a campus-owned apartment (not a dorm) last school year. Two bedrooms, four people. Doable. Except the two girls in the other room were complete slobs. There was constantly hair on the bathroom floor--did I mention there was only one shower and it was in their half of the apartment?--that I had to walk through daily to get a shower despite the fact that I swept 1-2 times a week and it wasn't even my hair. The kitchen was always a mess. There was stuff on the living room floor like two hours after I would vaccuum. Everything was a mess. But I thought it was fine now, because I moved out and all is well with the world.

Until today, when I got an e-mail from the housing office saying all four of us owe $69 a piece because of cleaning charges. Excuse me? I left on a Saturday, the last day to move out was Monday. I wasn't the last to leave by any means. But I cleaned all my part of the room, my bathroom, swept the floors and took whatever stains off there were, cleaned and sanitized the entire kitchen except the fridge, and cleaned the shower. My roommate cleaned everything before she left. Vacuumed, dusted, everything. That's what she said, at least. She wasn't as clean as she was always saying she was, though. There was still one other girl from the other room there when she left Monday morning. This was the one that caused the most trashiness in the apartment. I didn't know she'd be the last one leaving, or else I'd have been a lot more worried. Clearly, I had reason to be.

I'm sorry, but I spent the last nine months of my life cleaning up after 4 people--myself and my three roommates/housemates--on top of everything. I was literally in the apartment least of everyone living there. I am extremely unwilling to pay 69 additional dollars on top of all the time I wasted throughout the school year. This makes me very, very unhappy. I tried to clean as much as I could throughout the year so that it'd take barely any time at the end of the year to clean up. This is effing ridiculous. My roommate's getting in contact with the girl who left last since I don't have her contact information, so we'll see what happens. Better believe I'm going to appeal this if I can.

I guess it depends on your professor. I would much have the opportunity to get partial credit than to receive no credit for answering incorrectly. It was the m/c that killed me because she would ask questions that made no sense! All I know is that I'm thankful to be done with the course. I truly believe that must ochem professors just do not realize that not every student is a chem major or chem enthusiast.

Not quite grammar related...

But it drives me CRAZY when people misspell your name when replying to an email when your name was IN the email (and in the sender field).
One would think that people would take the two seconds to double-check how to spell your name before typing it out.

I just can't comprehend not doing this, and find it rather insulting to have someone address me in an email and completely butcher my name.

(Ordinarily this is just an annoyance, but it's already happened about 10 times this week...ugh).

But it drives me CRAZY when people misspell your name when replying to an email when your name was IN the email (and in the sender field).
One would think that people would take the two seconds to double-check how to spell your name before typing it out.

I just can't comprehend not doing this, and find it rather insulting to have someone address me in an email and completely butcher my name.

(Ordinarily this is just an annoyance, but it's already happened about 10 times this week...ugh).

Funny story - we had a girl apply for a vet asst. position in reply to a Craigslist ad. She misspelled "veterinary" in the subject line of her email.

:rolleyes:

oo this is a good one!! people do this to my name all the time!! especially if they THINK they know how to spell it the right way because they know my ethnicity ahead of time, it's like uhh did you think i spelled it wrong in my own email?!?! i hate it!! my parents kind of "americanized" my name to make it easier for people to pronounce when they first see it

YES. I don't even have a hard name to spell, but people always do this. I signed the email with my name....Seriously? I always double check to make sure I've spelled someone's name correctly. It's not that hard.

This is related to my earlier post about having to find a new place to live at the last minute for next semester. I still haven't managed to meet my future roommate. How ridiculous is that? As soon as I knew we would be rooming together, I regularly asked her if she wanted to meet. She never let me know when she was free, and always had something else she had to do when I asked. She never tried to contact me -- I was always the one initiating things. I know she's busy, but this is crazy.

Here is my rant for the day:

It is a TWO LANE ROAD. There is only ONE LANE in EITHER DIRECTION with DOUBLE YELLOW LINES in between. If you INSIST on driving 5 mph below the speed limit I have no way to pass you and I WILL tailgate you. I actually have someplace to BE this afternoon, and it does NOT involve being stuck behind you on this road.

That is all. I feel better now.

The worst is when people continue to mispronounce and misspell it after you've already spelled it out to them once. People love mistaking my new last name. And I spell it out for them. And then they continue to misspell it.:mad:

Also, on the other topic I ranted about, the girl that was giving me problems gave me more issues. She had apparently been counting the days we had stayed late and had counted me one short. And thought that we all had stayed late the same number of nights. Well, when I corrected her, she argued with me about it. Then she told me I should stay anyway. And I had stayed late the day before. The other girl in our group offered to stay so I wouldn't have to. This annoyed the problem girl and she proceeded to tell me I should stay and let the other girl go home. Even though problem girl wasn't even scheduled for on call over the weekend. This led to me getting an isolation case over the weekend, which is now a rabies-suspect case. I guess I should just be glad I got the pre-exposure vaccines. And there was a fever in the horse that spiked within 30 minutes. And the resident on over the weekend asked me in front of the client if I knew how to take a temp because she didn't believe it had spiked so quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I moved into my apartment the first week of May. It was supposedly "renovated" but I think the people working on it smoked while inside the apartment. So it smelled when I moved in. After 2 months, multiple complete Frebreezings(Extra Strength) of the carpet, candles galore, new air filters, scented air filter gels, bottles of air freshener... THE APARTMENT STILL STINKS! And, ipso facto, I STINK! My clothes and my hair smell like cigary old man, and my friends don't want to come visit, even when i offer to cook dinner... because my damn apartment stinks! I'm so freaking angry! :mad:

Try cleaning with baking soda and vinegar. :) Not at the same time/on the same places, but clean smooth surfaces with vinegar and dust baking soda on fabrics and vacuum up later. I've been told they work really well. I'm sure if you google this you'll get more suggestions and such.

The worst is when people continue to mispronounce and misspell it after you've already spelled it out to them once. People love mistaking my new last name. And I spell it out for them. And then they continue to misspell it.:mad:

Also, on the other topic I ranted about, the girl that was giving me problems gave me more issues. She had apparently been counting the days we had stayed late and had counted me one short. And thought that we all had stayed late the same number of nights. Well, when I corrected her, she argued with me about it. Then she told me I should stay anyway. And I had stayed late the day before. The other girl in our group offered to stay so I wouldn't have to. This annoyed the problem girl and she proceeded to tell me I should stay and let the other girl go home. Even though problem girl wasn't even scheduled for on call over the weekend. This led to me getting an isolation case over the weekend, which is now a rabies-suspect case. I guess I should just be glad I got the pre-exposure vaccines. And there was a fever in the horse that spiked within 30 minutes. And the resident on over the weekend asked me in front of the client if I knew how to take a temp because she didn't believe it had spiked so quickly.

I'm sorry this person is being less than a team player. I hope the raies suspect isn't rabid! Are you treating for other causes and will euth if it declines? I could see not trusting a low temp (in fecal ball, slipped out when horse was silly etc) but I can't think of any reasons for a human error resulting in a high temp. Good luck--maybe you'll be away from this character soon? Are your other patients at least doing well? If all the above fails have some ice cream or chocolate and life will be better.

Funny story - we had a girl apply for a vet asst. position in reply to a Craigslist ad. She misspelled "veterinary" in the subject line of her email.

:rolleyes:

I interviewed at a clinic yesterday. As part of their application they require the person to fill out a spelling and math test in the waiting room.

As I remember, the first question was, "This is a vet clinic. Spell the full word represented by 'vet'." There were also multiple choice questions for the correct spelling of words like abscess and canine.

I interviewed at a clinic yesterday. As part of their application they require the person to fill out a spelling and math test in the waiting room.

As I remember, the first question was, "This is a vet clinic. Spell the full word represented by 'vet'." There were also multiple choice questions for the correct spelling of words like abscess and canine.

We wouldn't have ANY employees if we had people do this! :rolleyes: I am the "spellchecker" for the entire clinic, Dr's included. You should see some of the stuff that our receptionists come up with. One of them actually has a cheat sheet for how to spell diarrhea. I've seen waccines, phrophy, chihauhau, and more instances of "alot" than I care to think of!

Latest favorite: Rescue group makes appt. for new dog called Phoebe. Receptionist writes name down as "FeeBee." We thought it was hilarious, so we kept it that way. :laugh:

THAT STUPID HORSE IN MY AVATAR CAME UP LAME TODAY!

:bang:

Last summer she mysteriously injured her stifle and when the vet recommended some bute and no riding... well she went and injured it even more in the field. She wound up on being 6+ weeks of stall rest because of the havoc she wrecked on her soft tissues.

I hadn't ridden for a week, and today she comes up lame. Flat-tire lame. Pfffttt sputter thunk thunk clud. It looks stifle-y to me. Conveniently, it is the other stifle!

This is disappointing because I don't get much ride time in during the year, and we've been having a great summer training-wise. I just wish I could get a consistent block of time to ride my mare without having to battle mysterious injuries. I am paranoid I am going to lose my whole summer again!

I also burned my hand really bad today.

Here is my rant for the day:

It is a TWO LANE ROAD. There is only ONE LANE in EITHER DIRECTION with DOUBLE YELLOW LINES in between. If you INSIST on driving 5 mph below the speed limit I have no way to pass you and I WILL tailgate you. I actually have someplace to BE this afternoon, and it does NOT involve being stuck behind you on this road.

That is all. I feel better now.

My rant in response --->

Perhaps I felt that the road conditions required I drive more slowly, perhaps I was driving with a spare tire or some other problem, or perhaps I realize that the speed limit is just that -a limit, and not a mandatory minimum speed. I hope you're not on your way to save something's life when I brake suddenly and you rear-end me because you were following far too close :rolleyes:

I understand why you feel annoyed --of course it can be frustrating when you need to get somewhere in a hurry and a slow driver does not have the courtesy to pull over and let you by-- but in my opinion that is no reason to endanger yourself and those around you. People who would risk someone else's life for the chance of getting somewhere a few minutes sooner should not be on the road.

I feel like the closer it gets to this roommate leaving, the more concentrated my annoyance becomes.

Right now, I'm up against my will because my room is shaking. I've discussed with this girl before that if she wants to keep her treadmill in the living room she needs to use it at appropriate hours (before midnight and after 9 AM). It's not my fault she stays up all night and sleeps all day.

BTW, it's 3 AM in Ohio. :mad:

THAT STUPID HORSE IN MY AVATAR CAME UP LAME TODAY!

:bang:

Last summer she mysteriously injured her stifle and when the vet recommended some bute and no riding... well she went and injured it even more in the field. She wound up on being 6+ weeks of stall rest because of the havoc she wrecked on her soft tissues.

I hadn't ridden for a week, and today she comes up lame. Flat-tire lame. Pfffttt sputter thunk thunk clud. It looks stifle-y to me. Conveniently, it is the other stifle!

This is disappointing because I don't get much ride time in during the year, and we've been having a great summer training-wise. I just wish I could get a consistent block of time to ride my mare without having to battle mysterious injuries. I am paranoid I am going to lose my whole summer again!

I also burned my hand really bad today.

Gah, stifle injuries suck! I worked at a barn where we did a lot of rehab for a few years and they were probably one of the most frustrating to take care of! Stifle injuries were tricky because after the initial rest you had to sort of sneakily work with them to actually build strength back up in that stifle. So long as the horses were fit they didn't showed any lameness issues...Stick them out in a field for a month? They looked like they'd been beaten Nancy Kerrigan style. Good luck with her!

Gah, stifle injuries suck! I worked at a barn where we did a lot of rehab for a few years and they were probably one of the most frustrating to take care of! Stifle injuries were tricky because after the initial rest you had to sort of sneakily work with them to actually build strength back up in that stifle. So long as the horses were fit they didn't showed any lameness issues...Stick them out in a field for a month? They looked like they'd been beaten Nancy Kerrigan style. Good luck with her!

Looooove the Nancy Kerrigan analogy, ahahaha. I've got my fingers crossed maybe it's not her stifle and it'll clear up soon. Never thought I'd be wishing for an abscess. ;)

oo this is a good one!! people do this to my name all the time!! especially if they THINK they know how to spell it the right way because they know my ethnicity ahead of time, it's like uhh did you think i spelled it wrong in my own email?!?! i hate it!! my parents kind of "americanized" my name to make it easier for people to pronounce when they first see it

I was/still am wondering where you got your name from. :)

1) My rabbit passed away unexpectedly on Monday night. Such a sweet boy.

2) My hard drive that I"v been using to save all my research data will now not register on any computer with any cable. GAH!!!! I really hope all my data isn't lost (the files are ~4 GB each so it's impossible to back it up anywhere else without forking over another $200).

My rant in response --->

Perhaps I felt that the road conditions required I drive more slowly, perhaps I was driving with a spare tire or some other problem, or perhaps I realize that the speed limit is just that -a limit, and not a mandatory minimum speed. I hope you're not on your way to save something's life when I brake suddenly and you rear-end me because you were following far too close :rolleyes:

I understand why you feel annoyed --of course it can be frustrating when you need to get somewhere in a hurry and a slow driver does not have the courtesy to pull over and let you by-- but in my opinion that is no reason to endanger yourself and those around you. People who would risk someone else's life for the chance of getting somewhere a few minutes sooner should not be on the road.

Very, very true. :)

I was/still am wondering where you got your name from. :)

lol My dad's side of the family, the Persian spelling ends with an "ia" but my parents changed it to end with "ya"

And your name? i love it! especially your nickname!

Happens to me all the time. I can understand misspelling my name if you've never seen it in print before since there are two equally used spellings, but it's just disrespectful to misspell someone's name after you have clearly had the opportunity to see the correct spelling.

lol My dad's side of the family, the Persian spelling ends with an "ia" but my parents changed it to end with "ya"

And your name? i love it! especially your nickname!

Ahhh I see! Mine is Italian...although I think it's also partially made up. I have an aunt with the same name, but her parents spelled it with one 'L'. So when I was born she was like "make sure it has two 'L's!!".

:D

When I think of 'GPA boosters', Ochem is just a tick above Roughing Up the Professor.

Heh, well the Orgo is a class I need to retake, not something I volunarily selected as a GPA booster. Should have clarified :p I'm taking a communications class as well, which is supposed to be my GPA booster for this semester.

Her dogs are a pain on top of this. My dog is calm, and I admit that she jumps up, but she doesn't scratch, bite, or slobber all over. Hers jump and kiss and lick and scratch and are just plain gross. I've been headbutted more times than I can count, and my lip has bled from it. On top of this, they bark at every little thing and drink out of the toilet. They also aren't put up at night... meaning they can run all through the house and outside as they please ALL DAY LONG. Freaking annoying... I keep a baby gate up in my door at all times, which my dog can jump over as she pleases, just so they don't eat her food, steal her toys, or drink her water.

I know how you feel! I really, really like my roommate. She is by far the best female roommate I've every had...but, I cannot stand her dog. We started coming home to destruction (pillows chewed, pee on the carpet, things taken off of the table and eaten/chewed) and I blamed my dog because I'm used to her being the trouble maker. So I started crating her, but the destruction continued. The dog peed on the couch. The dog chews furniture. If I leave any papers, pens, or highlighters out they get chewed. I almost lost it when one day her dog had peed ON the kitchen table. My roommates response to this: "oh". No punishment, no correction, no crating. Meanwhile I continue to keep my dog in my room because I don't want any doubt that she is not responsible. But she doesn't have a problem yelling at my dog when she doesn't deserve it. Like the time she closed my dog in the screen door and the screen door came off its track. My poor dog looked so upset! Also her dog steals all the toys from a basket in my room and my roommate takes them and puts them in a closet. She's even tried throwing out some of my toys! I could go on, but that's the gist of it

If I leave any papers, pens, or highlighters out they get chewed. I almost lost it when one day her dog had peed ON the kitchen table. My roommates response to this: "oh". No punishment, no correction, no crating.
Always been my understanding that correcting a dog after the fact (like, hours later) is rather pointless, as they do not make the connection. They instead make other connections that you didn't intend, such as "Oh crap, there's food on the floor! Better be fearful as I got corrected for that last time." So when you spill something or some such, they go scampering out of the room.

Now, whether that's correct, I don't know, but I've also read that dogs have a short-term memory span of 5 or so minutes, which would seem to support that.

^^Correction too long after the fact won't work, true. However her roommate should be coming up with some sort of plan to correct the dog's behavior, and should say something more in response than "Oh." Like maybe, "Sorry. I will [crate/consult behaviorist about/shoot into the moon/train/whatever] my dog so we can keep this from happening again."

1) My rabbit passed away unexpectedly on Monday night. Such a sweet boy.

2) My hard drive that I"v been using to save all my research data will now not register on any computer with any cable. GAH!!!! I really hope all my data isn't lost (the files are ~4 GB each so it's impossible to back it up anywhere else without forking over another $200).

Back up to multiple locations on a regular basis! You can get a 1 terabyte internal hard drive for about $100. Storage is cheap, there's really no reason not to back up important things.

Even if you periodically compress the files for storage or create backups using a program in some proprietary format, it's better than losing it all!

Last edited:
^^Correction too long after the fact won't work, true. However her roommate should be coming up with some sort of plan to correct the dog's behavior, and should say something more in response than "Oh." Like maybe, "Sorry. I will [crate/consult behaviorist about/shoot into the moon/train/whatever] my dog so we can keep this from happening again."

Back up to multiple locations on a regular basis! You can get a 1 terabyte internal hard drive for about $100. Storage is cheap, there's really no reason not to back up important things.

Even if you periodically compress the files for storage or create backups using a program in some proprietary format, it's better than losing it all!

My data files are huge--videos around 4 GB each (total of about 600 or so videos). So I bought one external harddrive for my research (around $300) and getting a second harddrive to back up the first would have been very costly. And technically, I do still have the data, it's just in a format that needs to be converted before I can analyzed. It's really more time lost than actual raw footage. Still frustrating. :(

I should have been a little more specific, too. I need to get the files off of the computer I have them on and move them to another one. Everyone in the lab needs to use the same darn computer for data collection, so the portable allows me to perform my analyses elsewhere.

Last edited:
^^That's no fun! Still though as someone who just experienced a click of death hard drive issue on my lab machine, I'd definitely say that no file should be in one place alone, regardless of size. Professional backup software can help with that sort of thing in compression and management - losing time in research is almost as bad as losing data IMO!

Also, goldielocks made me think about this. It is really difficult and stressful to have roommates/housemates when there are pets involved. I really really like my housemate (who's on SDN, haha) and her dog (literally the happiest, friendliest dog I've ever met) and cat, and it's still sometimes a bit trying when, say, the dog spreads his meal of cat poop fresh from the litterbox all over the floor, or her fat cat scavenges all the leftover food from the bowls of my normal-sized cats who like to nibble throughout the day. Likewise, I'm sure it is stressful for her too since my youngest cat is most assuredly the overly needy, loud, annoying spawn of some manner of lesser demon, and another of my cats is a jerk to everyone but me and tries to dash the door but can't really be trusted to be indoor/outdoor because he gets in fights and such.

Still, I think the important thing is to communicate about it, like with any other housemate issue. Letting it go over and over without any kind of resolution is just going to lead to an overall uncomfortable and tense situation, and a lot of resentment on both sides. And that kind of environment is horrible to live in, when home is supposed to be your refuge.

Still, I think the important thing is to communicate about it, like with any other housemate issue. Letting it go over and over without any kind of resolution is just going to lead to an overall uncomfortable and tense situation, and a lot of resentment on both sides. And that kind of environment is horrible to live in, when home is supposed to be your refuge.

Agreed. Well Said

I've had a bad day...a REALLY bad day

I got called off the waitlist so I get to go to vet school this year. Awesomeness. however:

1. My letter hasn't gotten to my house yet. Even though I've called the school twice just to make sure I did actually get called and it all wasn't a dream, I'm still doubting that I really did get called and I know I won't feel better unless I have that letter. It's been almost a week since I got the call, the letter should have been here by now. Plus, I haven't received anything else, like emails from the school, so I'm freaking out and so are my parents because now they are also starting to think it was all a dream and they already called everyone. If this did turn out to be just a dream, I think my parents' reaction is going to make the national news, which would be bad for me.

2. If I did actually get in and this isn't all a dream then I am not allowed to take my dogs with me to school. NOT AWESOME. My parents won't let me take MY dogs, the one that I've had since he was 6 days old, the one I weaned, trained, take to the vet, shove pills down his mouth, moved across the country with, and spent more than $12,000 on medical bills on, and the other one that I rescued and retrained and fed because they say they're not really MY dogs, they're the family dogs, the family dogs that the family has had nothing to do with in the past 8 years. I love my dogs more than anything in the world, they're practically my children. This is going to suck.

3. I can't find a place to live. Not because there are no places to live but because of my parents. One wants me to live in a place by myself because with my OCD, I would probably kill my roommate but the other wants me to live a roommate because that would mean I'm safer or whatever. So their disagreement has led to fighting which had led to not speaking and thus not helping me, which is bad because I have no idea what I',m doing as I have never lived on my own before. All of this fighting leads to mini rant 4:

4. My parents are actually upset I got into vet school and that my dream is coming true. I found out when they were yelling at each other across the house. Apparently being a vet isn't a good image for a woman and being a vet isn't going to cause me to have a high status in society (which is a big deal in some Latin cultures). They wanted me to go to people medical school because it is prestigious and I would have a high status and they would be able to marry me off more easily and I would be able to support my brothers for the rest of their lives, which apparently I can't do as a vet according to them, so they'll probably make it so I lose conservatorship of my younger brother. Glad to know my parents don't really support me. Love you too, guys.

Finally the worse thing that has ever happened to me

5. English isn't my first language, it's my third. And English is a hard language to learn, especially when your older. Therefore, I don't speak it when I go out with my family, we speak Spanish, which apparently means I'm an illegal alien to everyone, like people at the store thought today. Not only was I told, very rudely, to go back to the scum country I supposedly came from and stop taking jobs from real Americans (I don't have a job) but the stupid rednecks, who speak worse English than I do, decided to find a cop in the store and say that they suspected my family and I were illegal aliens because we were speaking Spanish and we looked Mexican (WTF? I look Hispanic, why do they automatically assume I'm Mexican? Not that being Mexican is bad, it's just that I'm not Mexican, I'm a Colombian who was born in Japan...I'm an air force brat, my family can't get more American)... and in front of a lot of people, my family and I had to prove our American citizenship (We carry our passports so it wasn't a problem but still). Talk about humiliating. I've never been more humiliated in my entire life.

Going to go cry now

NiennaDimple, the people who ought to feel humiliated are the loser jerks who made you pull out your passports. Hopefully you taught them a lesson or two.

I got called off the waitlist so I get to go to vet school this year. Awesomeness. however:

1. My letter hasn't gotten to my house yet. Even though I've called the school twice just to make sure I did actually get called and it all wasn't a dream, I'm still doubting that I really did get called and I know I won't feel better unless I have that letter. It's been almost a week since I got the call, the letter should have been here by now. Plus, I haven't received anything else, like emails from the school, so I'm freaking out and so are my parents because now they are also starting to think it was all a dream and they already called everyone. If this did turn out to be just a dream, I think my parents' reaction is going to make the national news, which would be bad for me.

2. If I did actually get in and this isn't all a dream then I am not allowed to take my dogs with me to school. NOT AWESOME. My parents won't let me take MY dogs, the one that I've had since he was 6 days old, the one I weaned, trained, take to the vet, shove pills down his mouth, moved across the country with, and spent more than $12,000 on medical bills on, and the other one that I rescued and retrained and fed because they say they're not really MY dogs, they're the family dogs, the family dogs that the family has had nothing to do with in the past 8 years. I love my dogs more than anything in the world, they're practically my children. This is going to suck.

3. I can't find a place to live. Not because there are no places to live but because of my parents. One wants me to live in a place by myself because with my OCD, I would probably kill my roommate but the other wants me to live a roommate because that would mean I'm safer or whatever. So their disagreement has led to fighting which had led to not speaking and thus not helping me, which is bad because I have no idea what I',m doing as I have never lived on my own before. All of this fighting leads to mini rant 4:

4. My parents are actually upset I got into vet school and that my dream is coming true. I found out when they were yelling at each other across the house. Apparently being a vet isn't a good image for a woman and being a vet isn't going to cause me to have a high status in society (which is a big deal in some Latin cultures). They wanted me to go to people medical school because it is prestigious and I would have a high status and they would be able to marry me off more easily and I would be able to support my brothers for the rest of their lives, which apparently I can't do as a vet according to them, so they'll probably make it so I lose conservatorship of my younger brother. Glad to know my parents don't really support me. Love you too, guys.

5. English isn't my first language, it's my third. And English is a hard language to learn, especially when your older. Therefore, I don't speak it when I go out with my family, we speak Spanish, which apparently means I'm an illegal alien to everyone, like people at the store thought today. Not only was I told, very rudely, to go back to the scum country I supposedly came from and stop taking jobs from real Americans (I don't have a job) but the stupid rednecks, who speak worse English than I do, decided to find a cop in the store and say that they suspected my family and I were illegal aliens because we were speaking Spanish and we looked Mexican (WTF? I look Hispanic, why do they automatically assume I'm Mexican? Not that being Mexican is bad, it's just that I'm not Mexican, I'm a Colombian who was born in Japan...I'm an air force brat, my family can't get more American)... and in front of a lot of people, my family and I had to prove our American citizenship (We carry our passports so it wasn't a problem but still). Talk about humiliating. I've never been more humiliated in my entire life.

Going to go cry now

Wow, I'm so sorry Nienna. What a horrible experience. Where are you (if you don't mind my asking)? Because unless you're in Arizona I think its highly illegal (or is it?) to ask someone to show that they're a citizen...asking for identification is one thing but even then...for what purpose? What supposed misdemeanor did you guys "commit" that would allow the police officer to ask to see your identification in the first place? You should have told the police officer to arrest himself and the other people for racial profiling.

I'll admit, I have relatives who are border patrol officers and other jobs that bring them into contact with illegal aliens frequently, so I hear some bad stories. I'm not a supporter of illegal immigration into this country but I'm all for legal immigration of anyone who wants to be here...heck most of us probably wouldn't be here if not through immigration at one point or another. There's obviously a lot of anger in the country about immigration right now and I'm sorry that you had to experience it first hand.

*hugs*

Going to go cry now

Congrats on getting off the waitlist! It's possible it's still in the mail. I got off the waitlist at my university and it took a while for me to get the letter. I felt the same way -- like I had hallucinated the phone call or something.

That's horrible about your dogs! I hope you can get your parents to change their minds. Do your parents help out with the dogs at all now? If not, remind them of all the responsibilities like feeding, walks, etc. That *might* get them to reconsider.

Umm wow. Why are you expected to provide for your brothers for the rest of their lives? I'm sorry your parents don't support your decision.

That is ridiculous and those people should be ashamed of themselves. :mad:

Going to go cry now

If we were in the same place right now I'd give you a hug! It's absolutely horrible that you've had to go through all of those things!

Wow, I'm so sorry Nienna. What a horrible experience. Where are you (if you don't mind my asking)? Because unless you're in Arizona I think its highly illegal (or is it?) to ask someone to show that they're a citizen...asking for identification is one thing but even then...for what purpose? What supposed misdemeanor did you guys "commit" that would allow the police officer to ask to see your identification in the first place? You should have told the police officer to arrest himself and the other people for racial profiling.

I'll admit, I have relatives who are border patrol officers and other jobs that bring them into contact with illegal aliens frequently, so I hear some bad stories. I'm not a supporter of illegal immigration into this country but I'm all for legal immigration of anyone who wants to be here...heck most of us probably wouldn't be here if not through immigration at one point or another. There's obviously a lot of anger in the country about immigration right now and I'm sorry that you had to experience it first hand.

*hugs*

We are in Arizona visiting some friends we haven't seen since we moved. The supposed misdemeanor was shoplifting. This is the story: My mom needed to buy some more make up and she only uses this certain brand so she took the make up she had just run out of, like mascara, to compare it to the ones in the store to make sure it was the right one and I guess one of the rednecks thought he saw her slip the new bottle of mascara in her purse and put the used one on the self. She didn't. But the redneck went to find the cop anyway and since we were speaking Spanish to eat other, the very loud redneck thought that we "must ter be illegals since they talk Mexican" (I swear that's exactly what he said). I'm not for illegal immigration either. My parents and all my family came here legally and it's been great, except for this. Even though this is not the first time I'm been stopped or even been refused to be served or seated at a restaurant, this was just the worst experience ever.

Congrats on getting off the waitlist! It's possible it's still in the mail. I got off the waitlist at my university and it took a while for me to get the letter. I felt the same way -- like I had hallucinated the phone call or something.

That's horrible about your dogs! I hope you can get your parents to change their minds. Do your parents help out with the dogs at all now? If not, remind them of all the responsibilities like feeding, walks, etc. That *might* get them to reconsider.

Umm wow. Why are you expected to provide for your brothers for the rest of their lives? I'm sorry your parents don't support your decision.

That is ridiculous and those people should be ashamed of themselves. :mad:

Thank you. That makes me feel better.

No they don't really help out. I mean if the dogs are standing by the door, they'll open it so the dogs can go out but they never go outside with them, which I do because my back yard doesn't have a fence and my dogs to like to take off after the deer that come into our back yard. I'm really hoping they reconsider but if I do get my own place when I go to vet school that has no problems with one 70 lb hound and one 15 lb spaz then I'm taking them whether my parents say I can or not.

I have to care for my brothers because they can't care for themselves. My younger brother is autistic and my older brother is schizophrenic (yay genes...not) i.e. it's highly unlikely either one will ever get a good long time job or get married, so I'm going to be responsible for them, since there is no one else to care for them.

My parents are my parents, what can I say? Hopefully they'll have a change of heart, about everything.

Semi off topic but kind of still related, and because this is a rant thread... I hate getting weird looks from people when I go out with my bf. I am pasty white with freckles/light hair and eyes, and he is super dark everything. You'd think we'd be past that kind of idiocy in society (especially up here in New England??), but people still occasionally whisper or fully yell out "Jungle fever!" at us sometimes. I don't even remember that I'm part of an "interracial" couple since I just find him super attractive and that's that haha. His family also pretty much looks like a college pamphlet (African, Greek, Asian cousins...) so it's not strange to his side at all. Mostly we just blissfully ignore it but some people are just so rude. Gah!

"Especially up here in New England?" I'm pretty sure New England is one of the most racist places in the country. I can't wait to get out of here. Sorry you have to go through that, though. :(

Thank you. That makes me feel better.

No they don't really help out. I mean if the dogs are standing by the door, they'll open it so the dogs can go out but they never go outside with them, which I do because my back yard doesn't have a fence and my dogs to like to take off after the deer that come into our back yard. I'm really hoping they reconsider but if I do get my own place when I go to vet school that has no problems with one 70 lb hound and one 15 lb spaz then I'm taking them whether my parents say I can or not.

I have to care for my brothers because they can't care for themselves. My younger brother is autistic and my older brother is schizophrenic (yay genes...not) i.e. it's highly unlikely either one will ever get a good long time job or get married, so I'm going to be responsible for them, since there is no one else to care for them.

My parents are my parents, what can I say? Hopefully they'll have a change of heart, about everything.

Yeah, for sure look into apartments/houses that will allow dogs. If your parents don't pay very much attention to your dogs, I would try not to leave them at home.

Ohhh okay. I'm sure you'd be able to handle that on a vet's salary.

I hope everything works out. Keep following your dream!

"Especially up here in New England?" I'm pretty sure New England is one of the most racist places in the country. I can't wait to get out of here. Sorry you have to go through that, though. :(

Not compared to a lot of other places I've been to!! I find New England (and by New England I guess I'm really talking about MA, since I don't spend much time in the other states) to be fairly liberal and tolerant, maybe I've just travelled to really bad areas outside of MA or haven't experienced it. Thank goodness. I think it would break my heart. I love Massachusetts.

Not compared to a lot of other places I've been to!! I find New England (and by New England I guess I'm really talking about MA, since I don't spend much time in the other states) to be fairly liberal and tolerant, maybe I've just travelled to really bad areas outside of MA or haven't experienced it. Thank goodness. I think it would break my heart. I love Massachusetts.

Mass actually isn't too bad. I've heard of some places in Mass that can be pretty racist, but generally it's okay. CT, though, is the worst ever.

Depends on where in New England.

CT tends to be on the racist side, unless you are near the NYC limits, where they are a little more accepting of African-American and Asian, but not so much the middle eastern anymore.

RI, pretty white from the parts of it I've seen but generally accepting.

MA I've always thought of as pretty liberal and multi-colored, so that's a surprise there. The Cape and Boston areas especially.

NH is very very white, and I say that with all the love in the world for my state. I moved up here from NY where my high school was only about 1/3 caucasian. My university here had 2 African kids, and maybe ten asians. Out of 15,000. So that was quite the eye opener for me, in a backwards kinda way. However, NH is a very liberal state, and tends to be accepting of just about everything. It just so happens that the university wasn't so "ethnically varied" although even that has improved in the past few years.

Maine also tends to be on the white side, and pretty conservative. Same for Vermont, although I've never spent much time there.

Really? I'd say it's still pretty racist near NYC.

Also, this is starting to bother me. Liberal doesn't necessarily mean not racist. My town is really liberal and ridiculously racist.

NM, I should try reading comprehension...I hear it's the bees knees.

On the racism subject, so as to make this less of a wasted spot (and this is just a statement, aimed at no one here): I really wish people would stop associating the South with racists. Seems that if you go north, and talk with a southern accent, you're a racist. :eek: Interesting, at times.

More so, I wish the ******* racists form the south would stop giving the rest of us bad names.

Last edited: