RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My rant: I hate ochem. A lot. It sucks. My brain is a sieve when it comes to this stuff. I can't keep reagents straight to save my life. It takes me 2-3 hours to get the hang of a single reaction and then I have to relearn it the next day. The cumulative final is Monday. I am firetrucked.

Members don't see this ad.

My rant: I hate ochem. A lot. It sucks. My brain is a sieve when it comes to this stuff. I can't keep reagents straight to save my life. It takes me 2-3 hours to get the hang of a single reaction and then I have to relearn it the next day. The cumulative final is Monday. I am firetrucked.

Do you do flashcards? I'm not a flashcard person, but I used them RELIGIOUSLY in ochem and just drilled myself. Also, I would draw mechanisms until I couldn't hold a pencil anymore. It worked for me and I got A's, but it's time intensive. :/

Flashcards don't help me much beyond the initial act of making them. If I do a problem set 3 times one day, roughly half of it will look familiar the next day. I learn by writing until my hand and my brain both cramp.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thunderstorms moved through tonight and the ONLY channel not working is ABC...the Bachelorette.....ARGHHHH

I'm with you, VeganSoprano. Flashcards are useless. Writing it over and over and over and over and over.

And ochem kicked my effing butt. We had a standardized final that steamrolled me.

One says firetrucked, the other says steamrolled

I just say f-#*ed.

A giant white board was my best friend during that class. Over and over again. I even had nightmares about the white board coming alive and eating me in my sleep.

LOL!!! I had Christmas break between ochem 1 and 2, and kept having dreams about ochem! The worst was that I had to write mechanisms or synthesis in ALL of my Christamas cards instead of a Christmas greeting!

One says firetrucked, the other says steamrolled

I just say f-#*ed.

A giant white board was my best friend during that class. Over and over again. I even had nightmares about the white board coming alive and eating me in my sleep.

Yeah...I was trying to keep it clean. :laugh:

And I'm glad I'm not the only one that had nightmares!!! Dear lord that class haunted me. The worst part was that I absolutely killed the first 1/3 of o-chem II on spectrometry, NMR, etc. Completely aced the exam, one of the top scores in the class.
Then we started the next section. And I wanted to die. I was dreaming in mechanisms for weeks before the final.

Mechanisms: boo. But what really sucked was my professor for my last quarter of o-chem. Wretched, wretched example of a human being.

VS: I can only suggest that you try lots of problems in different textbooks. I had to teach myself the material out of 3 different textbooks since my teacher was so dreadful. Try to go over the major reactions/mechanisms. If you got a question wrong, make sure you go over every step and understand where you went wrong. In retrospect, I realized that while o-chem can be difficult, it can also be creative as you can solve one problem with so many different solutions...

I actually found a great house to go to AVC in PEI and now I can't find 2 roommates!! Where the heck are all the other 62 students in my class living? No one is replying to my ads. After all this effort to get in and get used to the inevitable future debt, now I'm facing the possibility of paying the whole $1200 rent by myself! Argh is right!

I'm in the same boat. Signed a lease on a $1400 house, and was going to share it with an optometry student and her husband. They backed out at the last minute, and now I'm having no luck finding replacements.

I'm in the same boat. Signed a lease on a $1400 house, and was going to share it with an optometry student and her husband. They backed out at the last minute, and now I'm having no luck finding replacements.

damn. i hope you got at least some money down up front for the first month that's non-refundable...

i'm still fighting my idiot ex-landlord to get my deposit back. he gave me no reason why he wouldn't pay me back my deposit yet, he's withholding $400 of it. i'm starting to think the only way to get that back is to sue him in petty court (esp since i'm entitled to triple damages by now). but if for some reason i don't win, he's going to charge me like $3000 for his time for representing himself in court at $400/hr or something ridiculous like that. that's what he did to my ex-roommate who sued the landlord (granted it was a frivolous suit). i highly doubt that's legal but then i don't think it's worth all the trouble either. ugh... i just want my money back.

damn. i hope you got at least some money down up front for the first month that's non-refundable...

i'm still fighting my idiot ex-landlord to get my deposit back. he gave me no reason why he wouldn't pay me back my deposit yet, he's withholding $400 of it. i'm starting to think the only way to get that back is to sue him in petty court (esp since i'm entitled to triple damages by now). but if for some reason i don't win, he's going to charge me like $3000 for his time for representing himself in court at $400/hr or something ridiculous like that. that's what he did to my ex-roommate who sued the landlord (granted it was a frivolous suit). i highly doubt that's legal but then i don't think it's worth all the trouble either. ugh... i just want my money back.

Look up your state regulations. we had problems with our landlord (it was an apartment complex but the rules still stand for any type of landlord). we went to the housing affairs department for our state. a representative listened to our statement and since it was a fair complaint she called our landlord for us and they were not able to do what they had planned (it was complicated, but basically raising our rent too much). anyway, try that out. it is free and if you are right they will contact your landlord and take it from there for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, yesterday my siblings and I went to Adventureland. My older sister and I were supposed to depart Ames around 11:15, but my pre-existing commitment for the morning ran over an hour late and we did not get going until about 12:10. FRUSTRATION.

Then we finally get to the park (~1:00), meet up with the others for pizza... and it starts pouring. You-may-as-well-be-a-fish-it's-pouring-so-bad pouring. Not only did we get soaked (miserable even if you're the smart one with a swimsuit on under your clothes) but none of the pathways were draining well and we got to run/wade through 2 to like 8 inches of water EVERY WHERE WE WENT. It rained most of the time we were there. And the sun didn't come out until we were starting to work our way out of the park around 6.

So of course today is in the upper 80's and sunny. :rolleyes:

Kind of long, but sift through here (http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/186-15b.htm) to figure out what your legal rights are. I'm preparing to have to fight my landlord to get my security deposit back (and LEGALLY he has to also give me interest on both the deposit AND my last month's rent I paid a year ago). My lease ends at the end of August but he seems like a sketchy dude who tries to trick people that don't know better. Good luck!!!

So glad I'm moving to a place owned by a giant corporation - it's less personal but they're much more organized and on top of their ****.

I'm fairly certain I've gotten what my roommate's dog barks at narrowed down to 3 things:

Things that move
Things that don't move
Things that might move

And she will do so whenever she believes its necessary... Which is "always".

I don't post often (so very, very busy), but here's my rant: I am trying to get information for a specific school, and I have called and left messages, nobody returns my calls. I have emailed, and when I actually receive a response, they don't actually address the question I asked. Is reading comprehension a thing of the past? I have to call again tomorrow because I still don't have the information that I need.:bang:

I've got a rant:

Dear Zuko (my cat).

Why won't you stop pooping outside your litter box! I have tried everything to make you happy, I really have! You have two wonderful boxes to choose from, now both filled with different types of litters. Sometimes you choose to defecate inside the box, but mostly not. I'm starting to think I've done something to piss you off.

At least you didn't start peeing on my futon again.

Lots of love,

Your Mommeh

Rant 1: Nearly everything about this application cycle is irritating me... causing me to put things off, causing me to feel bad about wasting time while the days of summer are ticking away. This in turn is causing me to question this whole mess all together! I'm sure this feeling will pass (closer to the deadline), but I am in a funk.

Rant 2: I need to hire both a plumber and an electrician to try and resolve some house issues that I've had for years and have given up trying to fix myself. Since I hope to sell this place and move in a year (to go to vet school assuming I get out of this funk and someone accepts me :scared:) I will need to get these things fixed. And given I'm going to pay to get them fixed, I might as well enjoy the repairs for a year first. It makes my brain hurt to think about how much plumbers and electricians cost.

P.S. Marsala - I'm having similar frustrations trying to get info from a couple of schools too. I definitely feel unloved and unwanted by a couple of schools that I am otherwise very interested in. (see rant 1)

I was at work today scrambling between a bunch of different animals when one of my coworkers came and told me it looked like someone had hit my car outside. I went out and sure enough, this big SUV was munched up to the bumper of my poor little Honda, completely crumpling my front license plate. I asked at a few of the nearby places if anyone owned the car, no takers. Took pictures and the plate down and put a note on the car with my number and where I worked and asking them to give me their info. The receptionists kept an eye out but of course one of the few moments when no one was looking, the car drove off, and the person never called me. The nerve to leave your car smashed up against someone else's and then flat out ignore a note on the windshield! Luckily, after spending my whole lunch break on the phone filing a claim, my insurance company is going to try and hunt them down and cover the repairs, but ughh.. people! I don't understand people who do that kind of stuff.
And this little car thing was an add on to my week of having a ton of other issues with my car that aren't even worth fixing because they cost too much, plus having the handyman in the house almost daily between a leaking sink and a new oven and a broken dryer. Fun.

I was at work today scrambling between a bunch of different animals when one of my coworkers came and told me it looked like someone had hit my car outside. I went out and sure enough, this big SUV was munched up to the bumper of my poor little Honda, completely crumpling my front license plate. I asked at a few of the nearby places if anyone owned the car, no takers. Took pictures and the plate down and put a note on the car with my number and where I worked and asking them to give me their info. The receptionists kept an eye out but of course one of the few moments when no one was looking, the car drove off, and the person never called me. The nerve to leave your car smashed up against someone else's and then flat out ignore a note on the windshield! Luckily, after spending my whole lunch break on the phone filing a claim, my insurance company is going to try and hunt them down and cover the repairs, but ughh.. people! I don't understand people who do that kind of stuff.
And this little car thing was an add on to my week of having a ton of other issues with my car that aren't even worth fixing because they cost too much, plus having the handyman in the house almost daily between a leaking sink and a new oven and a broken dryer. Fun.

The first Friday of my freshman year of college someone hit my car on campus and ran for it... I ended up having to replace my whole trunk and tail lights and it messed up my suspension big time. Their back windshield must have shattered because there was broken glass everywhere and it wasn't from my car, so obviously they were going pretty fast for a parking lot! I ended up being without a car for over a month and had to pay like $1000 to have everything fixed. Ah, college memories... :mad:

Not exactly a rant, but have any of you run into people who actually legitimately say they DON'T LIKE / HATE animals?

Like, all animals, in general.

This happened to me in high school - I knew this set of twins. They weren't actually really girly or ditzy or anything. I remember telling one of them I love horseback riding and then somehow the conversation got to loving animals and one of them was like "You know, I don't like animals."

Me: ???

I was like "Which animals?" and she said "All! They're so... dirty and smelly!"

I just stared. Her twin then said, "Yeah, me too!"

:(

Not exactly a rant, but have any of you run into people who actually legitimately say they DON'T LIKE / HATE animals?

Like, all animals, in general. :(

Um, yeah. How about my future mother-in-law. Awkward, I know. Guess she won't be visiting us much ;)

Marsala: Just be patient. As high season for applications comes around again, admissions offices are often swamped, especially with all the budget cuts in higher education. Leave messages, email whenever possible and notate all the times/dates you tried to contact them. That said, not all office staff people are particular kind/helpful. Some schools I called (ie: Oregon, NCstate, Michigan) were lovely on the phone and others (ie: Davis, Penn) were dreadful. Just remember, it has nothing to do with you and is not necessarily a true reflection of the school. You might just get someone on their "off" day.

Good Luck!

Um, yeah. How about my future mother-in-law. Awkward, I know. Guess she won't be visiting us much ;)

MINE TOO!!! hahah so funny. we get along so perfect except that she hates all animals. and she is waiting for me to have babies because she lovessssssss kids lol...she will have to wait at least another 5 years

Thanks, der2002. As for the animal hating, there was a guy on my MS committee, a veterinarian at the vet school here, who announced while we were working in Costa Rica how much he hates noisy animals. I was thinking to myself, " You are a veterinarian because....?"

He was an angry, angry, hairy man.

Eh, I don't really like noisy animals either. Or noisy anything. That's part of the reason why I love the ICU and hate the kennels. When my patients start to get loud, they're usually ready to go home!

Like, all animals, in general.

My friend went to talk to the head of campus activities at my school about forming a pre-veterinary group, and this woman actually said, "I don't like animals". I realize that she's entitled to her opinions, but wouldn't it have been more professional of her to NOT tell a student that she doesn't like what she's going to spend the rest of her life working on?

Yep I have - I know a girl who hates animals - even puppies and kittens :wtf:

Haha, I actually really don't like puppies unless they're sick. I couldn't ever do general SA practice just because I'd never be able to pull off the obligatory ga-ga over puppies. Kittens, on the other hand, are my favorite things in the world.

Much like human children, I like puppies and kittens just fine when they belong to other people but absolutely want nothing to do with them in my own house. :smuggrin:

what peeves me even more than people who don't like animals in general, are the people who really hate on one type of animal. the world seems to be full of cat haters, pit bull haters, toy dog haters, etc... what really bothers me is that these people tend to be very vocal about their hate and ill will towards these animals and it's disturbing. AND it's not like they've had much experience with these animals, and it's because they suck that these animals don't like them. like the people who try to approach cats like they're dogs and get hissed/scratched at.

what peeves me even more than people who don't like animals in general, are the people who really hate on one type of animal. the world seems to be full of cat haters, pit bull haters, toy dog haters, etc... what really bothers me is that these people tend to be very vocal about their hate and ill will towards these animals and it's disturbing. AND it's not like they've had much experience with these animals, and it's because they suck that these animals don't like them. like the people who try to approach cats like they're dogs and get hissed/scratched at.

This ^^^.

P.S. Has anyone else noticed that the rant thread is 8 pages and the rave thread is only 2 pages? Haha.

:thumbup::thumbup:

COMPLETELY agree. If animals in general aren't someone's thing, I can live with that. But to badmouth a breed or species because you don't have any real experience with them, that's just petty and narrow-minded. Especially if you intend to be a vet. You don't have to like the animal, but please stop hating on them and the people who do love them.

I agree with Minnerbelle, but I wonder how many of those agreeing have a spider hatefest? I have to speak up for my arachnid buddies :D

what peeves me even more than people who don't like animals in general, are the people who really hate on one type of animal. the world seems to be full of cat haters, pit bull haters, toy dog haters, etc...

Well I hate ostriches...those ****ers are mean!

True but a swan can't disembowel you with a kick.

i'm on the cup and throw out the window camp on the spideys and cockroaches. and there are animals that i've found to be super mean to me (yeah i'm talking about you, you damn emu)... but i wouldn't wish harm on them. i just like to appreciate them from a distance.

sort of an exception is that being used to shelter environments, i personally don't care too much for kittens and puppies. i mean they're cute, but they are generally disgusting and poopy and too wiggly to deal with in a big litter, when you have 200 other animals to deal with in a day. kittens all love to make a run for it and bust out of the kennel all together when you open it for treatments. and i have to run around the room for 20 min gathering them all as they repeatedly try to escape every time i open the kennel. that and keeping track of which of the 7 black kittens you've already treated is no trivial task either. no matter how many times the animal care techs try to clean puppy kennels/runs, it's covered in poop and the pups are walking all over it. When you go in for any treatments/vaccinations/health checks, you get covered in puppy poop as they excitedly jump all over you. ick. i'm usually walking around with puppy diarrhea on my face.

on top of that, it seems the superficial families are the ones who insist on adopting only kittens and puppies, and it's painful to watch multiple families fighting over the last 8 wk old kitten when there are a bunch of 3 month olds and hundreds of >6month old cats that would make just as wonderful pets if not better. not the puppy/kitten's fault... and i still love 'em but i don't get especially excited when we get them.

and as much as i believe that people should be able to get whatever pet they want to if they can provide a good home, it kind of sucks when people i know come and show off their new kitten/puppy that they got from a backyard breeder to me. esp if i know that they are perfectly capable and would be a great fit with rescue animals... AND they know that I was recently desperately looking for a home for a sweet young animal that didn't even have any behavioral/health issues. and of course they come to me when their mutated mutt like purebred has issues.

and as much as i believe that people should be able to get whatever pet they want to if they can provide a good home, it kind of sucks when people i know come and show off their new kitten/puppy that they got from a backyard breeder to me.

Yeah, I hate this too, honestly. I really never know what to say, especially if it's someone I generally like and respect. And especially my family members. AND ESPECIALLY when they just had asked me a couple weeks earlier what they should be looking for in a breeder and I took a lot of time out of my busy schedule to email them a good response complete with links and stuff (and usually mentioning the shelter/breed rescue too if they don't want to go with the waiting lists or whatever of a good breeder) and then they come home with a maltipoo they got from some Amish byb/miller and say BUT IT'S SO KYOOOOOOTTTT. :mad: :bang:

edit: and then they feed it a million meatballs every Sunday just like they used to do with their massively overweight poodle who died of pancreatitis at age 10 (old age right. :rolleyes:)

Does anyone else find that getting letters of recommendation are the hardest/most stressful part of the application? ...because I sure do:confused:

I have a new understanding for anyone who is having trouble finding opportunities to shadow. I'm trying to shadow the vet at the city shelter - who is a personal friend and former colleague! - and I am still having no luck because his boss won't get back to him to approve the arrangement. So if I'm having trouble when I have every advantage imaginable, I have a whole new appreciation for the folks who go in cold.

and as much as i believe that people should be able to get whatever pet they want to if they can provide a good home, it kind of sucks when people i know come and show off their new kitten/puppy that they got from a backyard breeder to me.

receptionist at the SA vet clinic i work at just did this. sigh. she knows better.

So, I posted a thread on the MD thread asking the difference between MD/DO schools, degrees, and stats because I'm slightly interested in human medicine. I only got rude responses and was accused of being a troll. Whatevs.

Last edited:
Yah, that's the pre-allo forum for you.

I saw a dog who was thrown into traffic during a domestic dispute. Unbelievable. He died.