RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can dilute it with saline. Or, you know... tap water.
Had the amazing realization a few weeks ago that you didn't have to use sterile saline to give euthasol... Also had a dumb moment where we were doing a euthanasia and I was talking about giving the dog a cookie but I didn't have any food that was "dog-safe." Well...

Members don't see this ad.

...you tried to give euthanasia solution through a 25G needle?? Are you nuts?

Also, fun fact Fatal+ is sticky. Really sticky...

:laugh: Yes, it is!

And yeah, I stick to 23g now although occasionally I do have to pull out the 25g needles in ancient, dehydrated kitties where as soon as the 23g needle touches the vein it explodes. :(

Had plans to watch The Walking Dead with my resident mates tonight. We were supposed to go to resident #1's house, because that person has cable. Resident #1 flakes out and says they forgot so we can't come over. Well okay, resident #2 has access to her mom's DirecTV account so we can still watch it. Except resident #2 can't get it to work right on the TV so they're just going to watch it on their phone. So now I'm stuck without a way to watch it because I don't have cable or satellite. Yay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was home this weekend visiting my family. Have my cat with me. Someone left the back door wide open and she escaped. Searched for her for an hour with no luck. No one would help me look. Finally, found her over at the neighbors. It was horrible.:(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You can dilute it with saline. Or, you know... tap water.
fatal+ is liquidy enough for me. however i ALWAYS diluted euthasol. and i prefer saline to water. it never mixed with water unless you agitated it jut prior to injecting (which is awkward). saline didnt mix great but was better. :shrug:

I was home this weekend visiting my family. Have my cat with me. Someone left the back door wide open and she escaped. Searched for her for an hour with no luck. No one would help me look. Finally, found her over at the neighbors. It was horrible.:(
Sorry. That's a terrible feeling.

I'm glad you got her back. That really is the worst feeling.

So my dad got a dogsitter for my puppy back home while he was away for my sister's soccer tournament this weekend. I guess the sitter stupidly decided to feed him a week's worth of food over 2 days, along with table scraps, and basically let him do whatever willy nilly. Now my dad and sister at the ER with puppy due to lethargy, vomiting, trembling, panting, and inappetence. Ugh. :bang:

Update: Dad just called me. Apparently the sitter's son had a marijuana stash... key word being "had". You can imagine what happened. Doctor ran bloodwork and did rads for good measure and to rule out any obstructions, but she is pretty confident in marijuana toxicity with his signs (and he's started dribbling urine a bit since arriving at the ER). Administering subq fluids right now, and then monitoring overnight to see if any other actions need to be taken.

I just... wow. Needless to say, I told my dad to not ever use that sitter again.

Last edited by a moderator:
So my dad got a dogsitter for my puppy back home while he was away for my sister's soccer tournament this weekend. I guess the sitter stupidly decided to feed him a week's worth of food over 2 days, along with table scraps, and basically let him do whatever willy nilly. Now my dad and sister at the ER with puppy due to lethargy, vomiting, trembling, panting, and inappetence. Ugh. :bang:

Update: Dad just called me. Apparently the sitter's son had a marijuana stash... key word being "had". You can imagine what happened. Doctor ran bloodwork and did rads for good measure and to rule out any obstructions, but she is pretty confident in marijuana toxicity with his signs (and he's started dribbling urine a bit since arriving at the ER). Administering subq fluids right now, and then monitoring overnight to see if any other actions need to be taken.

I just... wow. Needless to say, I told my dad to not ever use that sitter again.
Eh marijuana tox is a great diagnosis. they do just fine. way better than pancreatitis, FB, terrible gastroenteritis, etc. :) but frustrating, sorry your family's confidence was failed

Reactions: 1 users
Eh marijuana tox is a great diagnosis. they do just fine. way better than pancreatitis, FB, terrible gastroenteritis, etc. :) but frustrating, sorry your family's confidence was failed
Oh, for sure! Marijuana toxicity is much, much better than any of those... I was really worried that it would be an FB or obstruction and that he'd need surgery, so this is definitely preferable. But, yeah, I guess he was showing the classic signs; according to my dad, the doctor sounded like she was pretty confident that he should be just fine after rehydration.

Meanwhile, my teenage sisters have been sending me texts with 420 jokes all night... :laugh:

Had plans to watch The Walking Dead with my resident mates tonight. We were supposed to go to resident #1's house, because that person has cable. Resident #1 flakes out and says they forgot so we can't come over. Well okay, resident #2 has access to her mom's DirecTV account so we can still watch it. Except resident #2 can't get it to work right on the TV so they're just going to watch it on their phone. So now I'm stuck without a way to watch it because I don't have cable or satellite. Yay.
I wish I'd seen this earlier! I don't have cable either, but I was able to do a free trial of Sling TV in order to watch it, and didn't even have to provide a credit card number for the trial. Oddly enough I found out about the offer from a targeted ad on Facebook. :laugh: Hopefully you can watch it online soon! (And don't have it spoiled for you beforehand...)

I wish I'd seen this earlier! I don't have cable either, but I was able to do a free trial of Sling TV in order to watch it, and didn't even have to provide a credit card number for the trial. Oddly enough I found out about the offer from a targeted ad on Facebook. :laugh: Hopefully you can watch it online soon! (And don't have it spoiled for you beforehand...)

I found the sling trial too! I missed the first 15 minutes but got on just in time to see the important part.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I just watched it for free on the AMC website. I felt kind of silly getting teary eyed at a table in the hall outside the school library. Luckily no one seemed to notice.

Left my delicious leftover pizza in the hostel fridge. I even set an alarm to remind myself to grab it and then didn't! Bye delicious pizza...

Sent from my VS876 using SDN mobile
lmao, I feel you--last last weekend when I visited home my mom made an awesome potato salad from a pinterest recipe. I'm not even a potato salad liker but I mean that one was awesome. There was a lot left over, so she was supposed to send it back with me so I could share it with my grandparents here...but amidst my dad checking the car before I left, we both forgot. Mom came by to visit (and watch TWD) yesterday, so before she got here I texted to ask if the salad was still good...she told me dad had literally thrown the rest out that morning. I seriously spent all week thinking about that potato salad...

I just watched it for free on the AMC website. I felt kind of silly getting teary eyed at a table in the hall outside the school library. Luckily no one seemed to notice.

That's because all us first years are crying over our exams.

Did you see me?!

No, I was at home listening to lectures on double-speed playback. :laugh:

I'm a season behind on the show, though, so I didn't want to watch without catching up first. And a friend of mine just shared a picture on Facebook that is some random crap (pictures of a Twinkie, brownies, etc.) and then at the bottom it says "[X] DIES ON THE WALKING DEAD." Thanks for ruining it, dude. :mad: Worse than the other friend who shared a "Hillary Clinton had me killed" TWD meme because that one at least had two characters in the picture.

No, I was at home listening to lectures on double-speed playback. :laugh:

I'm a season behind on the show, though, so I didn't want to watch without catching up first. And a friend of mine just shared a picture on Facebook that is some random crap (pictures of a Twinkie, brownies, etc.) and then at the bottom it says "[X] DIES ON THE WALKING DEAD." Thanks for ruining it, dude. :mad: Worse than the other friend who shared a "Hillary Clinton had me killed" TWD meme because that one at least had two characters in the picture.

So my husband and I totally aren't crazy TV watchers but after the season finale of TWD we've been dying for last night's new season. It was on past our bedtime :laugh: so we agreed to boycott FB today because we didn't want to accidentally read spoilers! So thank you for saying [X] and not the name!

So this isn't exactly a rant, but I thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread just for this... I'm curious about how you all respond to what I'm sure is a conversation we all have (over and over and over, often with strangers or acquaintances who are probably just trying to make polite conversation). It's when someone finds out that we're in the veterinary field, and says, "oh, I could never put down animals" (silently implying "but YOU're fine with it"). It's often also preceded by them saying "I thought about being a vet, but...". I have yet to find an appropriate response to this, and instead find myself feeling a little resentful... of the fact that it's implied that I'm somehow less emotionally impacted by euthanasias, of the fact that they make it seem that the ONLY thing holding them back from the profession is this (and not the huge amount of effort and dedication that pursuing this field requires). Often it's not someone I know (or plan on getting to know) well enough to get into talking about my opinion on the gift of ending suffering, so usually I just smile and nod or sometimes say something like "well it's not my favorite part of the job, but necessary sometimes" before I change topics. Is this something we all just roll our eyes about and move on from, or does anyone have any other thoughts?

So this isn't exactly a rant, but I thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread just for this... I'm curious about how you all respond to what I'm sure is a conversation we all have (over and over and over, often with strangers or acquaintances who are probably just trying to make polite conversation). It's when someone finds out that we're in the veterinary field, and says, "oh, I could never put down animals" (silently implying "but YOU're fine with it"). It's often also preceded by them saying "I thought about being a vet, but...". I have yet to find an appropriate response to this, and instead find myself feeling a little resentful... of the fact that it's implied that I'm somehow less emotionally impacted by euthanasias, of the fact that they make it seem that the ONLY thing holding them back from the profession is this (and not the huge amount of effort and dedication that pursuing this field requires). Often it's not someone I know (or plan on getting to know) well enough to get into talking about my opinion on the gift of ending suffering, so usually I just smile and nod or sometimes say something like "well it's not my favorite part of the job, but necessary sometimes" before I change topics. Is this something we all just roll our eyes about and move on from, or does anyone have any other thoughts?

I feel pretty strongly about euthanasia being one of the most powerful gifts that we have as doctors. When people bring that up, or if owners are feeling like they've made the wrong descision after the fact, I'll tell them that. I tell them that euthanasia is one of the greatest gifts that we have to give animals - to give them peace in their last moments, and to ensure they have the opportunity to leave this earth quietly and with dignity.

Reactions: 8 users
I desperately need to find somewhere to shadow, but I'm having a struggle because my phone died last weekend so i just don't have one until the new one gets here. I dont want to go to places in person and leave my number because i wont be able to answer if anyone actually calls. I obviously can't call them either, and of course no one bothers to answer any emails i send. ugh.

I am sure it is the combo of change and being on a rotation with animals I am new around, but between not enough sleep, constant nightmares/stress dreams, uncertainty of expectations, knowing nothing, lllllooooooooonnnnng hours, figuring out the new computer software/paperwork, and not being able to eat well because my stomach is in knots, I am really struggling to adjust to being on clinics. I am hoping these next 5 weeks will fly and I will find my groove soon.

Worse than the other friend who shared a "Hillary Clinton had me killed" TWD meme because that one at least had two characters in the picture.
So I've got bad news for you...

Reading through faculty reviews of me. One mentions that I'm not efficient, especially with some emergencies. They mention a specific instance about me being told to talk to another service about the patient, and say that I didn't do that. The rant is that I was never actually told to do that - I was planning on doing so, and another doctor volunteered to talk to the service. I followed up by texting someone on the service, unprompted. Plus I was dealing with other patients from that day.
It's a petty rant, and I know that it's really insignificant, especially considering what my other reviews say. But I don't want to be thought of as someone that slacks on patient care. So I'm taking the comments at face value, going to work on my efficiency, and put the comments behind me.
(I have a history of taking criticism personally, so this is mostly a reminder to myself to not do so.)

So I've got bad news for you...

I thought that might be a possibility. And then I figured as much after I kept seeing a picture of Abraham associated with all these articles about the show. Of course that stupid "lol Hillary" spoiler was a picture of the both of them.

I thought that might be a possibility. And then I figured as much after I kept seeing a picture of Abraham associated with all these articles about the show. Of course that stupid "lol Hillary" spoiler was a picture of the both of them.
The Internet is truly a terrible place

On an unrelated note, my dog has been driving me a little bit crazy the past few days. He's occasionally been a finnicky pooper, but he's really been giving me a hard time here. If I walk him around the neighborhood where smells and sights might not be as familiar, he doesn't have a problem and will poop fairly quickly. But if I take him to the courtyard, which he sniffs extensively every day and knows well by now, it's like pulling teeth to get him to go. Everything has to be absolutely perfect or he won't do it. He gets distracted by the most insignificant things and just cannot focus. And every time he gets distracted, he has to start his ritual of walking and sniffing around for 2 minutes before pooping all over again. If it takes long enough, someone will walk by with a dog or someone will make some loud noise or something will happen that distracts him so much that he's done. Just now, it was rustling in a bush that set him off just as he was about to start squatting.

I'd simply walk him around the block every time, but I'm not comfortable walking him by myself late at night, and in the early mornings, I usually don't have time for a real walk. I just wish he'd freaking poop without being distracted by a sudden gust of wind or a person slamming a door.

It's when someone finds out that we're in the veterinary field, and says, "oh, I could never put down animals" (silently implying "but YOU're fine with it").

Huh. I guess I've never interpreted it as a negative statement like you do/have. I've always interpreted it just ... for what it is: that they don't think they could handle performing the procedure. A lot of people couldn't.

My suggestion is that you try to re-interpret it - instead of reading into it, just take it at face value - they aren't necessarily accusing you of something bad; they're just acknowledging their own inability to handle it.

Huh. I guess I've never interpreted it as a negative statement like you do/have. I've always interpreted it just ... for what it is: that they don't think they could handle performing the procedure. A lot of people couldn't.

My suggestion is that you try to re-interpret it - instead of reading into it, just take it at face value - they aren't necessarily accusing you of something bad; they're just acknowledging their own inability to handle it.
I think it depends on their tone. A lot of the time I agree with LIS, I think they mean it neutrally, or almost as a compliment that they think we're emotionally stronger, but there are definitely people out there that think veterinarians are cold and heartless for being able to euthanize animals. Thankfully I've never personally encountered anyone that thinks that way. When I get comments like "oh, I just couldn't bear to put pets to sleep" from clients or acquaintances I just say something like "yes, it's hard sometimes, but it means they're not suffering anymore." If it's a friend or close relative bringing up the issue, then I would go into more detail.

I don't care if they're a stranger or my good friend, I straight up say something along the lines of, "Yep, it's one of the toughest parts of my job. But it's really a blessing in disguise that I can provide them a peaceful end surrounded by love." Like LIS said, the majority of the time I don't find that people say this to be nasty to us, but to acknowledge that it's a really tough thing to deal with regularly...and they're right.

On an unrelated note, my dog has been driving me a little bit crazy the past few days. He's occasionally been a finnicky pooper, but he's really been giving me a hard time here. If I walk him around the neighborhood where smells and sights might not be as familiar, he doesn't have a problem and will poop fairly quickly. But if I take him to the courtyard, which he sniffs extensively every day and knows well by now, it's like pulling teeth to get him to go. Everything has to be absolutely perfect or he won't do it. He gets distracted by the most insignificant things and just cannot focus. And every time he gets distracted, he has to start his ritual of walking and sniffing around for 2 minutes before pooping all over again. If it takes long enough, someone will walk by with a dog or someone will make some loud noise or something will happen that distracts him so much that he's done. Just now, it was rustling in a bush that set him off just as he was about to start squatting.

I'd simply walk him around the block every time, but I'm not comfortable walking him by myself late at night, and in the early mornings, I usually don't have time for a real walk. I just wish he'd freaking poop without being distracted by a sudden gust of wind or a person slamming a door.

I can relate to this post so much. My dog does the exact same thing and my feelings and story are pretty much identical to yours. It's quite annoying, but something I've learned to put up with over the past 4 years. I can't help but get jealous though of those people whose dogs go within one minute of them being outside. My dog will sometimes take upwards of 15-20 minutes if there are too many distractions.

I think people bring up euthanasia like that because they don't really know what else to say and either they don't really know too much about vet med or they were so emotionally impacted by the loss of a pet that they can't not think of euthanasia whenever anything makes them think of vet med. I usually view it as an attempt to make small talk. Or a genuine expression of admiration.

Reading through faculty reviews of me. One mentions that I'm not efficient, especially with some emergencies. They mention a specific instance about me being told to talk to another service about the patient, and say that I didn't do that. The rant is that I was never actually told to do that - I was planning on doing so, and another doctor volunteered to talk to the service. I followed up by texting someone on the service, unprompted. Plus I was dealing with other patients from that day.
It's a petty rant, and I know that it's really insignificant, especially considering what my other reviews say. But I don't want to be thought of as someone that slacks on patient care. So I'm taking the comments at face value, going to work on my efficiency, and put the comments behind me.
(I have a history of taking criticism personally, so this is mostly a reminder to myself to not do so.)

I haven't had my review yet and I'm horrified of what they might say. I don't necessarily thinking of screwing up a ton but I don't hunk I'm the strongest intern by any means. hopefully the fact that she hasn't hunted me down yet means it's not quite as bad as I think, right?

And I'm sorry that you're review made you feel like your patient care is suffering. that happened to me on a rotation in school (hadn't had any inpatients yet so they didn't have much to judge me on) but it really makes you feel crappy even if you know it's not true.

Really tired of my shoulder pain, and I'm starting to panic about it never actually getting better. I'm seeing yet another doctor over Thanksgiving break...although I'm not too hopeful at this point.

Research is awful, because as I write my lit review I have questions, then I search for answers and have questions about answers and then search for answers about questions about answers and then I have questions on those and I get nothing done.

I cannot make myself focus. I'm supposed to be writing a Halloween story for my sister's viola class to read and do sound effects to for tomorrow. I have like . . . an opening line . . . and that's it. Bahhhhhhhh.

For the first time since I was in middle school I decided to organize an event for my birthday. Put a fair amount of work into it, and about 20 people confirmed that they were coming.

For the first hour, not 1 person showed up. As I was about to leave, 2 people came. They stayed for about 45 minutes then had to go.

I am currently ending my night stranded downtown, with the solid chance that my ex boyfriend will be coming to bail me out. Fairly humiliating end to the evening.

On the plus side, the bartender felt bad for me and kept bringing me free drinks.

For the first time since I was in middle school I decided to organize an event for my birthday. Put a fair amount of work into it, and about 20 people confirmed that they were coming.

For the first hour, not 1 person showed up. As I was about to leave, 2 people came. They stayed for about 45 minutes then had to go.

I am currently ending my night stranded downtown, with the solid chance that my ex boyfriend will be coming to bail me out. Fairly humiliating end to the evening.

On the plus side, the bartender felt bad for me and kept bringing me free drinks.

Aww that's the worst. :( Sorry BBC. I've done the organize party and no one shows thing, and it's crummy. But happy birthday! I hope it gets better.

I've also been stood up by friends at my birthday shindig. I know the feeling and it sucks. I'd buy you many drinks as well! At least you still got free drinks! I'm sorry you got stranded and the ex has to come. Happy Birthday! I hope this next year of your life is amazing!

One of the worst feelings. Sorry BBC.:( You are owed so much more than free drinks.

Happier After Birthday wishes! Hope this year gets better and better!:hardy:

Got in trouble for not calling back an owner od a deceased pet. I do put partial blame on myself as I was paged that they were calling but wasn't in a position to call back at the time. then I honestly just forgot as I essentially ended up receiving that day and was here until 10 pm doing paperwork. However I'm still annoyed cause we're supposed to get notes put in our mailbox about this stuff. Got a note from administration asking if i saw the note in the computer system, which I didn't because it was under the client's file and not the patient's file. I specifically checked my voice mail that evening and the patient file to see what they called about and saw nothing. not really sure what else there is to talk about at this point. I'll guess I'll see when they call back.

Aww that's the worst. :( Sorry BBC. I've done the organize party and no one shows thing, and it's crummy. But happy birthday! I hope it gets better.

I've also been stood up by friends at my birthday shindig. I know the feeling and it sucks. I'd buy you many drinks as well! At least you still got free drinks! I'm sorry you got stranded and the ex has to come. Happy Birthday! I hope this next year of your life is amazing!

One of the worst feelings. Sorry BBC.:( You are owed so much more than free drinks.

Happier After Birthday wishes! Hope this year gets better and better!:hardy:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! Over it now, was drunk and mopey at the time.

To update, I ended up not having to get the ex to pick me up. Remembered my university ID counts as a bus pass and went on a 1.5 hour bus/walk adventure home. On the bus ran into a good acquaintance of mine and had some good conversation. Plus, wasn't even hungover for the 8:30am lecture today. Silver linings :thumbup:

Reactions: 3 users
Oh good, now this new Macklemore song is bringing out more people on my FB feed saying doctors are monsters for prescribing meds and that doctors are killing people and forcing people to get hooked on drugs. My friend with cancer is even bitching about how many pills they make him take.

Make? I don't think they make you take anything. What happened to personal responsibility? I get addiction is a disease, but you have to start somewhere.

I literally had to roast a guy who was slamming the use of anti-depressants on one of my posts. He didn't even know how they worked, yet he was telling me that doctors only prescribe them for the kickbacks they get and that our bodies can self-heal and drugs aren't necessary. Ugh.

Reactions: 5 users
Lost my Chevy dog a week ago.

Since then, my pup (13 months) has gone from 100% housebroken to having 2-3 accidents a day. She'll hold it all day while I'm gone but no matter how many times I let her out in the evening she's having urine and stool accidents in the house. She'll spend an hour outside then come in and almost immediately go to the bathroom. She also looks for Chevy every time she goes outside so I'm hoping that once we figure out a new "normal" things will be better. I've even been going outside with her and still having accidents :(

A youtube notification on my phone just ruined The Walking Dead for me. I'm in the process of watching the season finale from last year and managed to make it this far without hearing what happened...

My dog just ate the handles off of my scissors...