Rate, Equilibrium, and Acidity/Basicity Constant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letaps

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I know that reactant, concentration, temperature, medium, catalysts, and volume/pressure affect the equilbrium constant. What factors affect the rate constant and the acidity/basicity constant (Ka/Kb)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I know that reactant, concentration, temperature, medium, catalysts, and volume/pressure affect the equilbrium constant. What factors affect the rate constant and the acidity/basicity constant (Ka/Kb)?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure concentration and catalysts don't change the equilibrium constant.

Hey,

Thanks

NONE of the above alter the equilibrium constant EXCEPT TEMPERATURE!!!! The acid and base constants are equilibrium constants, and thus, are only affected by temperature. The rate constant k can be explained by the Arrhenius equation which states that K is dependent upon the activation energy (and thus catalysts), temperature, and the frequency of collisions that collide with sufficient energy. Don't confuse k in kinetics/rate laws with the K in equilibrium. They are NOT the same thing.

just seconding pookiez for the OP's wellbeing. G=-RTln(Keq) [it's really G0, or sumtin like that when Keq and not just K, but for arguments sake] you should know the delta G of a reaction is always the same. So only T affects Keq....

The rate law has to be determined experimentally (remember when the conc. of 1 doubles, the product quadruples meaning 2nd order, etc...) and temp/catalysts/concentrations/etc all affect the RATE K

Members don't see this ad :)
so, just to summarize, reactant, concentration, temperature, medium, catalysts, and volume/pressure affect the rate consant. And only the equilbrium, Ka, and Kb consants are only affected by temperature...

so, just to summarize, reactant, concentration, temperature, medium, catalysts, and volume/pressure affect the rate consant. And only the equilbrium, Ka, and Kb consants are only affected by temperature...