Re-applicant looking for warm weather schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rdarmageddon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an unsuccessful applicant from this last cycle who didn't apply widely enough. I have a 3.85 cumulative and science GPA, 36Q MCAT, approximately 120hrs shadowing with various surgeons, primary care physicians, and gastroenterologists. I have been the president of one of my university's sport teams for a while, coach for the sport, and am a certified referee. I have 1.5 years research experience, but no publications.

So the main question is, where should I be applying this cycle? I highly prefer warm weather, and like being near water of some kind (raised on an island), but I'm willing to go anywhere provided I'm passionate about the school.

I will be reapplying to:

University of Hawaii
Vanderbilt
Emory
University of Central Florida
Brown
University of Pittsburgh
Stanford (maybe)

I know I will be applying to USC, but otherwise I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help, especially when it comes to applying more broadly, would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an unsuccessful applicant from this last cycle who didn't apply widely enough. I have a 3.85 cumulative and science GPA, 36Q MCAT, approximately 120hrs shadowing with various surgeons, primary care physicians, and gastroenterologists. I have been the president of one of my university's sport teams for a while, coach for the sport, and am a certified referee. I have 1.5 years research experience, but no publications.

So the main question is, where should I be applying this cycle? I highly prefer warm weather, and like being near water of some kind (raised on an island), but I'm willing to go anywhere provided I'm passionate about the school.

I will be reapplying to:

University of Hawaii
Vanderbilt
Emory
University of Central Florida
Brown
University of Pittsburgh
Stanford (maybe)

I know I will be applying to USC, but otherwise I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help, especially when it comes to applying more broadly, would be appreciated.

U of Miami
FAU
FIU
EVMS (does get cold sometimes, but not much snow and it's near the beach)
USF

Emory's about 4 hour drive from the beach (and not a great one at that), but I guess if you want to go there...

Thanks for the response. The only problem is that most of those are state schools that frown on OOS applicants. I will probably apply to a couple of them anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. The only problem is that most of those are state schools that frown on OOS applicants. I will probably apply to a couple of them anyway.

U of Miami is a private school, but it does give some pref to Florida students.

I got an II at EVMS as an OOS with way crappier stats than you, but I did grow up there so maybe that gave me an edge.

BTW, do you want to go medical school or the beach? I'd say give up your unreasonable requirements as a re applicant and just apply away. You should have already been starting school this summer with those stats if you had applied broader.

Last edited:
I'm aware that I should have applied broader. I was just giving ideal characteristics of a school, and looking for schools that meet some (or any) of the criteria. In order, I care about the quality of the medical education (which is a vague term), affordability, the climate (warmth), quality of research, and proximity to a usable body of water. I do not expect all schools that I apply to to meet all of these criteria.

I had IIs from FIU and USF with much lower stats than you, and I'm not from Florida! Where are you from?

Some others to consider...I think with your stats it's worth applying to some public schools:
Oregon
UCLA
UCSD
USC
both Arizona schools
Wake Forest?

USC is fine.

With your stats you can also try UCLA and UCSD.

The Arizona schools also take a fair amount of OOS students.

Other schools: Baylor, UVA, Wake, Tulane, UMiami.

The other FL schools are good too.

USC is fine.

With your stats you can also try UCLA and UCSD.

The Arizona schools also take a fair amount of OOS students.

Other schools: Baylor, UVA, Wake, Tulane, UMiami.

The other FL schools are good too.

I second all of these schools plus VCU and Duke.

I don't know how many of these are that close to water outside of the southern california schools. Your warm climate requirement limits your list so it won't be as broad as it could be. UH will be your best bet so I suggest asking for feedback from them on how to improve your application (if you don't get in).

Side note, you have a lot of shadowing, but do you have other clinical experiences where you're more of an active participant rather than an observer? Do you have volunteering?

Thanks for all of the responses. I feel like I'll be able to round out my list better this cycle.

About half of the shadowing was mixed with volunteering. I prepped examination rooms and retrieved medications for about 35 of the hours, and assisted with minor procedures for another 20 of them.

I probably will not apply to Duke because I applied there last cycle and want my list to be less top-heavy this time. This perspective may change though.

you don't need any ties to DC/Virginia to have a good shot at EVMS

definitely ask UH what to improve for the next cycle (although it's a bit too late to do anything significant if you're applying 2013-2014...though you could start something and be able to talk about it in your interview). don't bank on UH reconsidering you as a reapplicant though.

your stats should put you in good running for the UT schools. warm, high caliber education, and lots of research opportunities.