Readers reunite.. :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theriomorphos

Nerdcore
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1) I have to go with Split Infinity, by Piers Anthony, if only because I actually remember first grasping the concept of figurative language while reading it as a very young child.
2) Name of the Wind (Rothfuss) and Ender's Game (Card), Golden Compass (Pullman), hands down.
3) Just found this March Madness bracket http://app.snapapp.com/CageMatchWomenWarriorsBracket and now have a ton of books to catch up on in order to vote properly. Sadly, many of my favorites are already out of the running :(
4) I was given a Physiology text by one of my mom's profs when I was a little kid and she was in undergrad. I don't remember the author now, but yeah...used to lug that thing around in elementary school and feel REALLY proud of myself for reading books like my mom's.
5) The Book Thief.

Reactions: 1 user
1) A book/s which had a tremendous impact on you, inspired you, uplifted you and played an integral role, shaping certain aspects of your personality, career etc?
Strength in What Remains (Tracy Kidder), Diary of a Young Girl (Anne Frank)
2) All time favorite book/s?
Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy), Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen), The God of Small Things (Arundhati Roy) , Harry Potter series :p (J.K. Rowling)
3) Book/s that you wish to read soon?
War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy)
4) Favorite academic textbook/s?
Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry
5) Any book/s that you recommend for reading to the SDN members?
Strength in What Remains (Tracy Kidder), The Emperor of All Maladies (Siddhartha Mukherjee)

Reactions: 1 users
Reading is my entertainment - -nothing heavy or "inspirational", just looking for good yarns. The original Tom Clancy "Jack Ryan" series (starts with Hunt for Red October, Cardinal in the Krelim etc.). Great cold war spy novels that were on the parental units book shelves that I picked up. The first 5-6 books were great (and really long), then went seriously downhill thereafter (gossip about a ghostwriter publishing his stuff). But his first 10 years or so of work is outstanding. Debt of Honor and Without Remorse were my all time favorites. Now that Mr. Clancy has died, I guess no more "bad" books.

After I got disenchanted with Mr. Clancy, fell upon Nelson DeMille's books, especially Word of Honor, The General's Daughter, The Charm School. Not as good as an early Clancy work, but great reads for airplanes. Again, his earlier works are much better than his recent publications (do authors get lazy after the royalties start paying for their lifestyle?? Of course, other older books that are in the family library that are fun reads are Dan Brown of Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, The Lost Symbol. These are guilty pleasures, not great literature, but fun times.

Colleen McCullough recently died, but her Masters of Rome series (starting with Sulla, through Pompey, Caesar, Cleopatra, Augustus Caesar) are quite entertaining for historical novels. Again, pulled off the shelf at home, so nothing that has been published recently, but the oldies were certainly goodies. Ms. McCullough's Thorn Birds was also one of the first Chick Lit books and a great book (and a lousy mini series from long ago, don't watch it, read it).

Last edited:
I prefer novels, especially in the SFF vein. As you will see below.

1) A book/s which had a tremendous impact on you, inspired you, uplifted you and played an integral role, shaping certain aspects of your personality, career etc?
1984 by George Orwell. After being forced to read a bunch of "classics" which I found boring as dirt (if I never hear of Nathaniel Hawthorne ever again I will weep a tear of joy), I was acquainted with this book, which reminded me that books can be smart and accessible to people who don't have PhDs in 17th century French poetry.

-The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (has the best closing act of any book I have read)
-Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clark (the most impeccably written book I have ever read)
-Maus by Art Spiegleman (my favorite non-fiction I have ever read)

I could have listed ~20 books here, but I limited it to 3 which stood out to me for specific reasons.

3) Book/s that you are currently reading or wish to read soon?
-Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold. (just finished)
-American Gods by Neil Gaiman. (Next on my list after a couple short stories and random books I picked off library shelves because they had fancy covers.)

I don't enjoy textbooks. Period. I read them for information, not pleasure.

-The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
-Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clark
-Maus by Art Spiegleman

:pI love the copy/paste function.:p

-Second Opinions by Jerome Groopman

-Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
-Any of Khalif Hossieni's three novels. The Kite Runner is the most well known and IMO isn't even the best. Crafted beautifully.
-The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

3) Book/s that you are currently reading or wish to read soon?

Next on my reading list is:
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Idk if I can start calling out favs here, but currently learning a lot by reading Rapid Interpretation of EKGs... Currently an ICU nurse and have ample knowledge of telemetry rhythm identification but this book is helping me a lot with looking at 12 leads and learning axis deviation, hypertrophy, etc.
Also, Poet's Companion, if you're into that sort of thing

I really think there is a huge benefit to reading collections of classic short stories.

1. Everything by C.S. Lewis, HP Lovecraft, and Jack London

2. A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Divine Comedy (particularly Inferno)

3. Currently reading A Dance With Dragons (ASIOAF), Journey to the West, and would like to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms

4. Does Grey's Anatomy count...?

5. The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, Maus by Art Spiegelman, Fullmetal Alchemist (manga) by Hiromu Arakawa, Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyce, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Reactions: 1 users
- N/A.
- Not all time favorite, but I recently read, and really enjoyed, Reinaldo Arenas' autobiography Antes que anochezca (Before Night Falls)
3)
a) Book/s that you are currently reading,
- 구해줘(Korean translation of Guillaume Musso's Sauve-Moi (eng: Save Me))
b) or wish to read soon?
- 퀴즈쇼(eng: Quiz Show, a book written by Kim Young-ha, a modern Korean author)
- Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood
- Griffith's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics
- N/A.

William Least-Heat Moon's Blue Highways

Tower: An Epic History of the Tower of London by Nigel Jones

3) Book/s that you are currently reading

Sorry, can't give that one away!

Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring by Walter Hartwig
Shill alert! Dr Hartwig is an old pal of mine