MD Realistically, am I boned? (Low GPA, average MCAT, entering SMP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Helpful Aye Aye

I'm not so grump
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Entering SMP this fall, doing a large application cycle (entry fall 2015):

NEED HELP WITH MY SCHOOL LIST

SCHOOL LIST

Hey there- I'm writing this as though I have completed my post bacc (which will end in May).

Male, URM (AA), NY Resident
Ivy League for UG
B.A. in Neuroscience and Behavior
GPA: 3.26/3.09
(UG 3.21/2.76, post-bacc 3.96)
MCAT #1: 24 (7/8/9)
MCAT #2: 32 (10/11/11)

Extracurriculars (college):
-President of Fraternity (3 years)
-Founder and Teacher of University Judo Club
-National judo competitor
-100 hrs clinical research (no pub)
-intern at a global health organization, doing data entry and research for preceptorship designing
-30 hours of shadowing (family practice)
-70 hours shadowing vascular surgeon
-300 hours of volunteering through fraternity
-doing subject recruitment and writing a paper on altitude sickness, for future publication
-volunteering at food bank on weekends
-wrote and published a book on reading scientific literature
-work as property manager and bookkeeper for an apartment building in NYC
-work as an upper level genetics tutor

Do I have a shot in hell at M.D. if I continue my momentum and perform well in the SMP?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there- I'm writing this as though I have completed my post bacc (which will end in May).

Male, URM, NY Resident
Ivy League for UG
B.A. in Neuroscience and Behavior
GPA: 3.26/3.11
(UG 3.21/2.76, post-bacc 4.0)
MCAT #1: 24 (7/8/9)
MCAT #2: 32 (10/11/11)

Extra Curricular (college):
-President of Fraternity (3 years)
-Founder and Teacher of University Judo Club
-National judo competitor
-100 hrs clinical research volunteering (no pub)
-intern at a global health organization, doing data entry and research for preceptorship designing
-30 hours of shadowing (family practice)
-200 hours of volunteering through fraternity

Current activities:
-volunteering at food bank on weekends
-wrote and published a book on reading scientific literature
-work as property manager and bookkeeper for an apartment building in NYC
-work as an upper level genetics tutor

Entering SMP this fall, applying to host institution during program ONLY. If don't get into the host institution (entry fall 2015), I will do a large application cycle (entry fall 2016) while I work. Focusing on these schools + host institution:

Albert Einstein
Albany
Boston University
Rosalind Franklin
Cooper Med School of Rowan University
Drexel
George Washington
University of Cincinnati
Hofstra (where I did post bacc)
Jefferson
Loyola
NYMC
Rush
Temple
Tufts
Tulane

Do I have a shot in hell at M.D. if I continue my momentum and perform well in the SMP?
Just a noob here, but I believe you will have a great shot if you do well in your SMP (3.7+).

You stand a chance, but with that sGPA you might want to tack on a couple of DO schools as a backup if you're willing to go that route, as your app might get filtered before many allo schools even see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the % of SMP students that get into the host institution's medical school?

Your application is going to live or die based on your SMP grades, but if you do well I doubt you'll have a problem getting in somewhere.

What's the % of SMP students that get into the host institution's medical school?

A little over 50% of the people who applied got into the host school, with the number of people getting into any medical school hovering between 80 and 90%.

A little over 50% of the people who applied got into the host school, with the number of people getting into any medical school hovering between 80 and 90%.

That's pretty decent (50%). If you can, try to get breakdowns by SMP GPA. When you see the magic number over 80% at the host institution, I think that's probably the cutoff you should be aiming for.

Though I've never heard of an SMP with 80 - 90% success overall at all schools (sounds like the data has been "massaged")....

Last edited:
Which community do you represent, and how have you demonstrated a commitment to its service?

African American- I haven't done deliberate service to that community per se, as in I haven't worked charity events whose express purpose is to benefit people of color. Being situated in Harlem for undergraduate and a predominately black/Hispanic neighborhood for my post bacc have meant that my volunteer opportunities happened to serve those communities. My clinical research took place in a busy urban ER and most of my patient contact has circumstantially been with black and Hispanic patients. The clinical research also had a hospital volunteering component built into it.

Last edited:
African American- I haven't done deliberate service to that community per se., as in I haven't worked charity events whose express purpose is to benefit people of color. Being situated in Harlem for undergraduate and a predominately black/Hispanic neighborhood for my post bacc have meant that my volunteer opportunities happened to serve those communities. My clinical research took place in a busy urban ER and most of patient contact has circumstantially been with black and hispanic patients. The clinical research also had a hospital volunteering component built into it.
You should get MD interviews even without the SMP as long as you have an early application.

Would like to hear people's opinions about me doing a full application cycle during SMP year, instead of just applying to my host institution. I'm very divided on this. Thanks!

Would like to hear people's opinions about me doing a full application cycle during SMP year, instead of just applying to my host institution. I'm very divided on this. Thanks!

I would do a full application cycle during the SMP year. You already have the 4.0 postbac GPA from Hofstra to show medical schools your academic ability. Along with being URM, you should get plenty of interviews.

If you're willing to share, which SMP will you be attending?