DO Really confused and don't know if I should apply this cycle or not. Help appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Booster_Gold

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just wanted to know what you guys think my chances if I applied this cycle or not. I really love DO and will be really aiming for DO schools. I really don't care where I go, I just really want to become a doctor. I have an interest in primary care or psychiatry. I'm really worried about my stats. I know my GPA is really low. Should I retake a class in the summer? Should I wait until next year?

-Graduated Double Major in Neuroscience and Psychology.
-cGPA-3.47
-sGPA-3.1
-Mcat-29-(11PS/9V/9BS)
-2 years worth of clinical research hours in biofeedback. Presented in 2 conferences, 2nd author and might soon be published in a magazine. ~1000+ hours
-Vice president in pre-medical fraternity. Did a lot of volunteering through here and many other leadership positions. ~100+ volunteering hours. Been in fraternity for 3 years and other leadership roles.
- 5 Letters of Rec from DO, MD and multiple science professors. No committee letter due to low GPA. They didn't even seem interested in helping me at all honestly. Thats why I'm so confused. DO shadowing ~50 hours.
-Various other medical clubs and leader in my church group I am active in.
-Will be getting scribe job by the time I submit applications.
-Also worked as dietary aide in an Alzheimer's/special needs nursing home.
-The psych classes I took were very science based.
-My trend is slightly upward. Kind of messed up Fall of senior year due to some personal problems.
-State of residence is NJ, but like I said will go anywhere.

So just to repeat, I know my GPA is low. I talked to my health profession advisor and she didn't seem that all interested in helping me. I didn't qualify for a committee letter in their eyes. If I apply, I will be applying to all DO schools. I guess I'm feeling really lost and confused after my advisor kind of left me out to dry.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for any help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.