Really need help on school list....being a Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apply this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

medcraving

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am in serious dilemma of whether to apply this year or not as I know it is later in the game and being an international student (Canadian) gives me a disadvantage.

Here are my stats and I was just verified today:
• MCAT score 503 (P/S 128, CARS 124, B/S 127, Psy 124) which I think is equivalent to a 27 on the old scale.
• cGPA is 3.55 and sGPA is 3.44.
• For ECs, I have 2000 research hours with 3 publications (all second author), ~1000 clinical research hours, 2 council director, few hundred teaching and volunteering hours and a couple of awards and scholarships. 1 DO shadowing who kindly wrote me a letter and 2 strong science prof letters

Given the above, do you think I should apply this year or wait for next year to apply? Any advice is important to me as this will determine my plan for this year and next. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wait until next year to maximize chances, then apply broadly and you should have some success. Know which schools accept internationals.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@AnatomyGrey12 Thank you sooo much for the advice! Do you think I should still try this year since I've already got verified? I really want to get in for 2016 class and I was looking at Rowan, UNE, and LMU as my options. Do you think I have a shot at those schools?

@AnatomyGrey12 Thank you sooo much for the advice! Do you think I should still try this year since I've already got verified? I really want to get in for 2016 class and I was looking at Rowan, UNE, and LMU as my options. Do you think I have a shot at those schools?

Rowan is going to be extremely difficult to get in at this point, and they favor IS. I'm not sure about UNE or LMU. Perhaps someone can chime in?

The problem is that you're not early in the application cycle, and you need to apply broadly with those stats, especially being an international applicant.

Sorry for Off Topic, but any available list of DO schools that accept Canadians? I will apply next cycle and trying to gather useful info.

Sorry for Off Topic, but any available list of DO schools that accept Canadians? I will apply next cycle and trying to gather useful info.

Since you aren't applying until next cycle, just take a look at each DO school's website. Stay away from IS Bias schools like OHSU, MSU, Rowan, etc...

This is from UNECOM --- "However, the number of international students is low; for example, 4% in the Class of 2015; with five students from Canada. "
http://www.une.edu/com/admissions/information

Reactions: 1 users
I know it's just anecdotal, but there were several Canadians in my interview group at LMU. That might be a good school to look into.

Reactions: 1 users
I think those stats are good for DO schools. You should give it a try. I know for a fact that MSU/AZCOM/UNECOM takes Canadians every year, so maybe you can start with those schools. If you calculate the % of Canadian in a class, it's always going to be small like 5%, that's because not so many Canadians apply to DO schools at all. BUT every single Canadian I knew that applied got in, so you shouldn't worry too much of being a Canadian.

Although if it doesn't work out, retake that MCAT and aim for an equivalent of 30+, your GPA is good enough...

I interviewed with a few Canadians at UNE last year

I interview/was accepted by nov 1. I don't remember the exact date i interviewed there