Really need some help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubble77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Could really use some help/advice on what to do. Sorry in advance for such a lengthy post.

1st MCAT 2012 10 PS, 9V, 8 BS

Retook MCAT 2014 got a 11P, 8V, 10 PS

I work full-time but studied hard for the retake. Followed SDN advice and did not retake until I was consistently scoring above my goal.
My average from AAMC 9, 10, 11 was about a 35. I virtually remembered nothing since I hadn't taken them for 2 years, but maybe the scores were significantly inflated.
My average from AAMC 3-8 was a 33.2.
Took 1 Kaplan and got a 34.

I went into the test fairly confident I would at the bare minimum be able to pull a 31/32. Really sad/frustrated about my retake score and not really sure where to go from here.

Other information.
sGPA = 3.4
cGPA = 3.39

So obviously those are not great at all either.

ECs:
2 years full-time work experience as a counselor in a hospital
1 year part-time work in acute psychiatric center
2 years full-time job research assistant/coordinator (current job)
1 year full-time nanny for toddlers
1st author publication (accepted with revisions), but hopefully soon
1 year tutor for at risk high schooler (current)
4 poster presentations
Some hospital volunteering from undergrad (but not that much)
over 500 hours of disaster relief clean up work
Founded an art therapy program at a hospital and director for 1 year (program still up and running, but I had to relocate)
40 hours primary care shadowing

Applied in 2012-2013 with my 27 MCAT and got 1 MD interview, 1 Waitlist

My hope was that if I brought my MCAT up to 30+ some schools may take a harder look at my application.

Any thoughts on what to do? Should I even bother reapplying?

Also, I realize the 27 to 29 MCAT looks bad, but I was shocked by the 29 and think I could do better.

2 options it seems may be:
1) retaking in the next month or so after studying intensely for the next 1.5 months and hope I can score somewhere closer to my averages.

If I do option 1, should I try to talk to my PIs about going part-time if possible to maximize study time?

2) Submit day 1 with a 29 and gamble (although my chances seem pretty dismal with my MCAT/GPA combo)

Sorry as you can see, I am pretty lost.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Could really use some help/advice on what to do. Sorry in advance for such a lengthy post.

1st MCAT 2012 10 PS, 9V, 8 BS

Retook MCAT 2014 got a 11P, 8V, 10 PS

I work full-time but studied hard for the retake. Followed SDN advice and did not retake until I was consistently scoring above my goal.
My average from AAMC 9, 10, 11 was about a 35. I virtually remembered nothing since I hadn't taken them for 2 years, but maybe the scores were significantly inflated.
My average from AAMC 3-8 was a 33.2.
Took 1 Kaplan and got a 34.

I went into the test fairly confident I would at the bare minimum be able to pull a 31/32. Really sad/frustrated about my retake score and not really sure where to go from here.

Other information.
sGPA = 3.4
cGPA = 3.39

So obviously those are not great at all either.

ECs:
2 years full-time work experience as a counselor in a hospital
1 year part-time work in acute psychiatric center
2 years full-time job research assistant/coordinator (current job)
1 year full-time nanny for toddlers
1st author publication (accepted with revisions), but hopefully soon
1 year tutor for at risk high schooler (current)
4 poster presentations
Some hospital volunteering from undergrad (but not that much)
over 500 hours of disaster relief clean up work
Founded an art therapy program at a hospital and director for 1 year (program still up and running, but I had to relocate)
40 hours primary care shadowing

Applied in 2012-2013 with my 27 MCAT and got 1 MD interview, 1 Waitlist

My hope was that if I brought my MCAT up to 30+ some schools may take a harder look at my application.

Any thoughts on what to do? Should I even bother reapplying?

Also, I realize the 27 to 29 MCAT looks bad, but I was shocked by the 29 and think I could do better.

2 options it seems may be:
1) retaking in the next month or so after studying intensely for the next 1.5 months and hope I can score somewhere closer to my averages.

If I do option 1, should I try to talk to my PIs about going part-time if possible to maximize study time?

2) Submit day 1 with a 29 and gamble (although my chances seem pretty dismal with my MCAT/GPA combo)

Sorry as you can see, I am pretty lost.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My though is that everything looks good and yea the MCAT is a little bit low for MD schools. However everything else is great. I am tempted to say apply and apply early. One more thing, I don't know if you are sold only for MD schools or open to Osteopathic Schools too. Osteopathic School will definitely give you a shot too. Think about it and good luck.

Osteopathic is path of least resistance. Both your MCAT and GPA are below last years matriculate averages (~31, 3.6).

Personally I would do option 2 and apply DO and low-tier MD. You'll get some DO IIs, and hopefully 1-2 MD (although I do believe it's a long shot statistically speaking). It's also the most cost effective solution for you (not sure if this is an issue for you). Taking another MCAT, working less, applying another cycle, interviewing (travel expenses), costs money. I'm sure you've thought about this as a factor, but I just bring it up to emphasize my point that if you're financing your medical education it's best to save as much $$ as you can now.

If you want MD, you know what you need to do: boost MCAT, boost GPA. If you had a ~3.5 I wouldn't recommend a post bacc/self made post bacc program, but in your case with a 3.4, I would say take upper level sciences, get A's to get your sGPA closer to 3.5-3.6, and retake the MCAT with a 30+ and you'll have a much better shot at MD programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Osteopathic is path of least resistance. Both your MCAT and GPA are below last years matriculate averages (~31, 3.6).

Personally I would do option 2 and apply DO and low-tier MD. You'll get some DO IIs, and hopefully 1-2 MD (although I do believe it's a long shot statistically speaking). It's also the most cost effective solution for you (not sure if this is an issue for you). Taking another MCAT, working less, applying another cycle, interviewing (travel expenses), costs money. I'm sure you've thought about this as a factor, but I just bring it up to emphasize my point that if you're financing your medical education it's best to save as much $$ as you can now.

If you want MD, you know what you need to do: boost MCAT, boost GPA. If you had a ~3.5 I wouldn't recommend a post bacc/self made post bacc program, but in your case with a 3.4, I would say take upper level sciences, get A's to get your sGPA closer to 3.5-3.6, and retake the MCAT with a 30+ and you'll have a much better shot at MD programs.

Thanks for your honest advice. I will look into DO schools before making any decisions one way or another.