Reapplying this cycle, need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcusy

Reaction score
I hope everyone is doing well; this cycle, I applied with a 3.65 science and overall and a 511 MCAT, but with a short school list, late submissions for both primary and secondary applications, and not ideal personal statement and activities, I had no luck this cycle. I am currently in my senior year, and last semester, I had a death in the family and subsequently had a very bad semester. However, after some help, I am better than ever and am on track to get all As for my last semester. I wanted to get some thoughts on my chances for this upcoming cycle. I am retaking the MCAT, getting another very strong letter of req, and rewriting my personal statement and activities, which I have listed below. I will be applying with about a 3.4 overall and my science should stay around the same. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, have also been considering a master's degree so any thoughts would help. Any stories of what people did during their gap year and how it helped them

University of Michigan Undergrad
ACTIVITIES:
Surgical Center Medical Assistant; 3000 hrs 2017-2022
Pediatric Clinic in rural town: 850 hrs 2023-2024, 1000 predicted hours next year
Research 200 hrs 2022-2023
Shadowing, 2 MDs 35 hrs each
Tutoring 110 Hrs 2021-2022
Fundraising Committee: 90 hrs 2020-2024
Kids jiu jitsu teacher: 200 hrs 2020 -2023
Free Clinic: starting now and will be doing all next year
Kids basketball coach:
Volunteer organization:120 hrs 2019-2021
Study abroad
Mission Trip to Iraq

Thanks again!!! I appreciate all of you so much!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

How late did you apply? September, October? And what have you added since last year?
So I submitted it in late June, and it got sent out in mid-August, but I was really late with my secondaries and basically got them in right before they were due. I have been working at the pediatric clinic this year and have just started volunteering at a free clinic in Detroit. I also added my mission trip, which I went on this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you apply? And did you get any IIs?

I only applied to the Michigan schools and no interview invites
Are you a Michigan resident? And did you apply MD only or also to DO? Also what is your overall GPA and your MCAT section breakdown.

Submitting earlier will certainly help a lot.

Regardless what I can recommend right now is the following:
-Get some non-clinical volunteering started. Like now. It should take the form of something like food distribution, tax preparation, housing rehab, or shelter work where YOU are directly providing to underserved communities. The more hours you can accumulate the better. The reason why I recommend this is because while you have non-clinical volunteering (fundraising committee?) med schools want to see more direct service
-Consider expanding your list. Only applying to Michigan schools — while not a bad idea if you're a resident — ties your hand a bit. Consider some other schools that meet your interests and mission fit.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you a Michigan resident? And did you apply MD only or also to DO? Also what is your overall GPA and your MCAT section breakdown.

Submitting earlier will certainly help a lot.

Regardless what I can recommend right now is the following:
-Get some non-clinical volunteering started. Like now. It should take the form of something like food distribution, tax preparation, housing rehab, or shelter work where YOU are directly providing to underserved communities. The more hours you can accumulate the better. The reason why I recommend this is because while you have non-clinical volunteering (fundraising committee?) med schools want to see more direct service
-Consider expanding your list. Only applying to Michigan schools — while not a bad idea if you're a resident — ties your hand a bit. Consider some other schools that meet your interests and mission fit.
Def gunna apply out of state, I only applied in Michigan because I had some personal circumstances and at the time felt like I needed to stay in state but that is some great advice thank you so much will definitely look into how I can volunteer at one of those places. Also I only did apply MD for some ego reasons but now am going to be applying to a couple DO schools that fit me best. My overall GPA is still in progress but it should be like 3.4 with my MCAT breakdown being 127, 126, 129, 129 and the main reason I am retaking is that for almost every prep test I had been scoring a 130 on CARS so I feel I can def improve.

Reactions: 1 user