Reapplication post SMP and MCAT retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntonFreeman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I will be finishing a SMP in May with GPA 3.7 - 3.8. I applied to about 20 schools (all MD) this cycle and had only 1 interview which was at the school that I am doing SMP in. I am not sure if I will get into the host school this year and I kind of want to think ahead for the possible reapplication. My AMCAS gpa was in 3.03 cum ,2.99 sGPA and post-bac gpa of 3.8. My MCAT was 31. I am planning on retaking my MCAT end of July. If I submit my AMCAS early in June and update the schools when the score comes out end of August, would timing of my application be ok? I am thinking I can finish my secondaries during the month before the MCAT score comes out which means I should be complete at schools by end of August.

Members don't see this ad.

While normally I'd advise against retaking an MCAT with a fine score, the MD schools that like reinvention seem to like high MCATs (>33) as well. Do NOT retake the test unless you're consistanly scoring well above 31 on your diagnostics.

Be sure to apply to DO schools as well, since you're already competitive. And keep in touch! I'd like to grow my list of "reinvention" MD schools.

Hello all, I will be finishing a SMP in May with GPA 3.7 - 3.8. I applied to about 20 schools (all MD) this cycle and had only 1 interview which was at the school that I am doing SMP in. I am not sure if I will get into the host school this year and I kind of want to think ahead for the possible reapplication. My AMCAS gpa was in 3.03 cum ,2.99 sGPA and post-bac gpa of 3.8. My MCAT was 31. I am planning on retaking my MCAT end of July. If I submit my AMCAS early in June and update the schools when the score comes out end of August, would timing of my application be ok? I am thinking I can finish my secondaries during the month before the MCAT score comes out which means I should be complete at schools by end of August.

hmmmmm. How are you non-academic activities? Research? Shadowing? Volunteering? Who wrote your LOR's Also, what excuse did you use for your relatively low undergrad gpa? Your problem is somewhere within these elements and not with your MCAT score. You might be best served by trying to get a short term research experience if you lack one instead of retaking the MCAT. - Admissions to Medicine