Reapply? or Caribbean (st. george's)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blah354

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Spend 1-2 years taking upper level science courses and reapplying--perhaps risk having to reapply a 3rd time? or would anyone just cut to the chase and go to St. George's in the carribean?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't spend another 2 years taking upper level courses. If you're going to do that enroll in a post-bacc or masters program. Spend a year taking some upper division courses then apply BROADLY. I applied to MD, DO, and caribbean programs. If this is your 3rd time applying you need to figure out where you're weak. Is it your interviewing, enroll in Toastmasters or some sort of public speaking course. If it's your MCAT, retake it. Etc. Etc. This cycle you need to fork over some $$ and apply to a lot of programs. Caribbean schools are a good option if you are dead set on becoming a doctor. If after your 3rd time you are not getting in, you should probably re-evaluate things. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Need more info on your app to advise.
GPA, BCPM, MCAT, etc.

I had a UG gpa of about 3.2 (honestly bad judgement in courseload), BCPM is around there and MCAT score of 23 (first time was 21). everyone says to retake MCAT ( I had be scoring 29-33. But I screwed up on the real thing because I got so nervous. But I spent months preparing, doing mostly practice questions.
Fair amount of extracurriculars with underserved, sports, jobs, research.

I would put in the effort to spend 1 more year redoing everything, but just from the statistics even great candidates don't even get in... so would it be better if I just went to the carribean to start sooner?

to be honest, first thing you need to do is pick up that mcat. there is a chance you might not make it into st george. There average for the fall was 3.4 27 mcat according to their site. If you do apply there with those stats apply for spring which is a little easier to get in. You really cant make any decisions on what to do in the future, without improving your mcat. I would worry about changing you mcat first and maybe apply to a DO school if you want if you get in the 27 ish range. If you get your score in the 32-33 ish range, i would do a masters and apply allo and osteo. If you have 3.2 with a ton of credits, it will take a while to bring it up. You have taken the mcat twice, and need to see what you are doing wrong. Maybe take a prep course. That is just my opinion.