Reapplying after acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedMachineA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN. I'm an MD applicant this year, and I'm currently one year out of college, doing research. I got in to one medical school, and I got two waitlists. Over the past year of research, I have come to realize just how much I want to pursue a career in academic medicine. However, the school where I was accepted is an unranked state school with a larger focus on primary care. Additionally, from my interview, I got a strong feeling that it wasn't a good match on a personal level. I felt very out of place relative to the medical students currently there. I certainly haven't come to any conclusion yet, but in the interest of keeping all options on the table, I'm considering turning down this medical school and applying again next cycle.

I was wondering:
1. Can medical schools in the next cycle see that I was accepted to a medical school this cycle?
2. How would they feel about it if they can see it? Would they consider it a valid reason to reapply?
3. Would it further validate my decision if I applied to MD/PhD programs this next cycle? This is also an option I've really been wrestling with.

Applying again, I would send my secondaries immediately (finishing by mid-July-ish) rather than waiting to between early august-early october like I stupidly did this time around. I also have three publications to add 'til my app (one first-author), as well as a substantial amount of clinical exposure that was lacking from my previous application.

In the end, I realize I'm so so so fortunate to have even received one acceptance from a medical school. I feel pretty ungrateful even contemplating this option, which is why I wanted others' input. I'd really appreciate constructive advice over inflammatory commentary, but I realize it's the internet.

Members don't see this ad.

They can see it.

From what some adcoms have posted around these forums: declining an acceptance is pretty much a nail in the coffin.

I'm sure they'll chime in. (and correct me if I'm wrong. :p)

Reactions: 5 users
They can see it.

From what some adcoms have posted around these forums: declining an acceptance is pretty much a nail in the coffin.

I'm sure they'll chime in. (and correct me if I'm wrong. :p)

That's kind of what I was afraid of. Regardless, thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
How would you feel if you got zero acceptances next cycle? You can always do research later

Reactions: 1 user
Use the search function to find specific threads; this gets asked a lot. Schools can see that you have previously been accepted, and the consensus is that you will NOT get into medical school again if you try to reapply after an acceptance. You are going to have to go where you were accepted, or nowhere at all. Congrats on the acceptance!

Reactions: 4 users
How would you feel if you got zero acceptances next cycle? You can always do research later

That's a really valid point. I guess now I'm just trying to calculate the risk of that happening.

Use the search function to find specific threads; this gets asked a lot. Schools can see that you have previously been accepted, and the consensus is that you will NOT get into medical school again if you try to reapply after an acceptance. You are going to have to go where you were accepted, or nowhere at all. Congrats on the acceptance!

I have searched reapplying after acceptance, but I kind of hoped my post was a bit more of a unique scenario/worth more specific consideration. Either way, thank you for the opinion and for the congrats!

Going to an unranked state school will have little, if any, effect as to your chances of getting into academic medicine.

Reactions: 8 users
take the acceptance, you were barely successful this time....don't throw it away to reroll the dice with worse odds next year

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like a tough scenario. Just make the best of it, I guess. Best of luck!

Had a similar question once, you'll be told you should've withdrawn right after interviewing. Tough to hear, as a lot can change in the ~10 month application cycle.

I'm sure it's been accomplished before, but the consensus is that it's not worth the risk.

If you got into only one school now, your chances of getting into MD/Ph.D next year are probably zero.

Don't throw away a sure thing for a shot in the dark.

I have searched reapplying after acceptance, but I kind of hoped my post was a bit more of a unique scenario/worth more specific consideration. Either way, thank you for the opinion and for the congrats!
The reasoning that I usually hear is that if the school was such a bad fit that you wouldn't consider going there after interviewing, you ought to have just withdrawn after the visit, and then you wouldn't be in this pickle.

I think that there are times where this attitude is taken to somewhat of a ridiculous extreme, but them's the breaks :shrug:.

I agree with the other posters that if you barely squeaked into one school (esp if it's your state school) this year and wouldn't even be applying to that school/similar ones next year, you'd be in a poor position even without the 'reapplied after acceptance' bias. Cut your losses and figure out how to make the most out of the option you have in your pocket!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input everyone. Quick reference: LizzyM 73, top 20 school, Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude, now-four publications.

Go for it. Being unhappy knowing you could've done something is the worse feeling ever. And it seems like you won't be able to live with yourself going to that state school. Everyone's situation is different. I would just reiterate that on your app next cycle.

I would just call a school that you would intend to apply to next year and ask them straight up what your chances would be if you turned down an acceptance this cycle and reapplied. I would not just blindly trust what people post on this website.

Reactions: 7 users
I would just call a school that you would intend to apply to next year and ask them straight up what your chances would be if you turned down an acceptance this cycle and reapplied. I would not just blindly trust what people post on this website.
That's some really solid advice!

Go for it. Being unhappy knowing you could've done something is the worse feeling ever. And it seems like you won't be able to live with yourself going to that state school. Everyone's situation is different. I would just reiterate that on your app next cycle.

Lol, don't listen to this person.

There is research going on at EVERY MD school in the country, bar none. Start making contacts in the department of interest early, study hard during preclinicals/do well on Step 1, and then set yourself up for a competitive residency match. Your residency will determine your ultimate career path much, much more than your medical school will.

Reactions: 7 users
Lol, don't listen to this person.

There is research going on at EVERY MD school in the country, bar none. Start making contacts in the department of interest early, study hard during preclinicals/do well on Step 1, and then set yourself up for a competitive residency match. Your residency will determine your ultimate career path much, much more than your medical school will.
I understand. Thank you

Is getting into 1 MD and 2 waitlists indicative that you can comfortably turn down your acceptance and get into an MD/PhD program, which is even harder to garner an acceptance to?

Congratulations on your acceptance --

If your publication acceptance is new, consider updating your waitlist schools along with a concise expression of sincere interest --

Going to an unranked state school will have little, if any, effect as to your chances of getting into academic medicine.

He's right. In fact, there are two (or more) channels to hiring in large institutions:

Either you're clinically solid and come in for the clinical work and then devote your time to slowly building research efforts, or you come in a great researcher and build your clinical practice over time. Both ways work. Both ways will get you a name on the department roll call and a seat at the department meetings.

You will instead trust an anonymous staff person on the phone?
At least make sure it's not a work study student.

Reactions: 12 users
Thanks for the input everyone. Quick reference: LizzyM 73, top 20 school, Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude, now-four publications.

Update your wl schools on the pubs. There's still a good chance that there will be movement there.

Also you can apply for and take a research year (maybe even 2) between second and third year. If you want to do more research, that's how I'd do it.

Definitely wouldn't recommend reapplying.

Reactions: 2 users
If you turn down an acceptance to reapply next cycle then you will probably start a new thread about how you wish you would have listened to all the advice you got this cycle.

Reactions: 4 users
1000% agree. I know a world-class scientist in his field when I was in grad school who got his MD at U VM.

Hey Goro,

I have a friend who got into a D.O. school last cycle, but had to decline due to family issues. However, those family issues have cleared up since then and is thinking of reapplying to the same school.

Are his chances still slim, even though he had a pretty valid excuse?

If any excuse is valid, that might be the closest. But didn't he just defer entering a year?

Hey Goro,

I have a friend who got into a D.O. school last cycle, but had to decline due to family issues. However, those family issues have cleared up since then and is thinking of reapplying to the same school.

Are his chances still slim, even though he had a pretty valid excuse?

If any excuse is valid, that might be the closest. But didn't he just defer entering a year?

I'm assuming he might not have due to the fact that one doesn't necessarily know how long family issues will last that might preclude entry into medical school. Perhaps he thought that they might last longer than the year given via a deferral?

Honestly it's really stupid that you aren't allowed to turn down an acceptance and reapply. Schools spout all this nonsense about how the interview day is also about you seeing if the school is a good match for you, but in reality they are talking out of their ass because you could very well be forced to go to a school that you do not like.

Honestly it's really stupid that you aren't allowed to turn down an acceptance and reapply. Schools spout all this nonsense about how the interview day is also about you seeing if the school is a good match for you, but in reality they are talking out of their ass because you could very well be forced to go to a school that you do not like.

You're being dramatic.

No one is forcing you to do anything. If you don't like a school after the interview, then withdraw your application in a timely fashion before decisions and it won't be a problem.

Well if it's your only acceptance, what else can you do?

Reactions: 2 users

If someone felt that a school wasn't a good fit for them after the interview then they should have withdrawn their application in a timely manner before a decision was made. That is the responsibility of the applicant.

If someone felt that a school wasn't a good fit for them after the interview then they should have withdrawn their application in a timely manner before a decision was made. That is the responsibility of the applicant.

I'm not so sure that the "if you turn down an acceptance you're screwed" reality is common knowledge outside of SDN, though.

1000% agree. I know a world-class scientist in his field when I was in grad school who got his MD at U VM.
not that it necessarily contradicts your point, but UVM is a pretty great state school. probably not the kind of school OP is talking about

nonetheless going through the ENTIRE cycle again when the outcome is so uncertain would seem like pretty poor judgment. you can do academic medicine having gone to any med school

@PremedMachineA

There are numerous options to incorporate research in your training and at various points in your training.

First, there probably is interesting research going on at your medical school. You might have to dig a bit to find it, but it might be worth it. Sometimes the smaller places have less crazy competitive nonsense going on and more interaction with the PI.

Second, you can usually do a summer (or even year) away at another institution (like the NIH and other programs) to do research if you're really interested.

There can be options in residency, including so called fast-track options in residency that incorporate research years, and it's usually a requirement to do some research as part of a fellowship.

So keep your acceptance and just roll with these other options as they fit.

There is a very small number of schools that will let people transfer, so if you were a Rockstar the first year or two that would be a very very unlikely but not entirely impossible option.

Reapplying is just too risky.

Last edited:
IMHO, this is probably your best option:
Update your wl schools on the pubs. There's still a good chance that there will be movement there.

Also you can apply for and take a research year (maybe even 2) between second and third year. If you want to do more research, that's how I'd do it.

Definitely wouldn't recommend reapplying.
:thumbup:

@Goro @gyngyn I have a conditional offer, where I may not be able to meet the condition. (I have zero control over it. It is not failing to meet pre-reqs, failing a background check, etc, and I could explain it on my application) Would this still automatically disqualify me from being accepted somewhere else?
What is the condition?

Well if it's your only acceptance, what else can you do?

you can weep or write a very sad song about how hard it is to be one of those unfortunate souls who have a golden ticket but wanted a different golden ticket...boo hoo

It sounds as though matriculating and taking a research year is your best bet by far.

It's too identifiable to post on a public forum, but it has to do with needing to provide a particular document. I'll get the document eventually but probably about a month too late.

That's a very different situation from the OP's "I don't like this school; I want that one" situation. In your particular case, the inability to get a particular document by a particular deadline could not reasonably be construed as arrogance/petulance/entitlement (which is how OP's case would reasonably play out) so an entirely different animal. I would expect at the very least that the school that conditionally accepted you the first time would seriously consider you for acceptance a year later, and that unless their acceptance was explicitly conditional on your not reapplying elsewhere (do check, though they should have said clearly), that you would be free to do so.

Then put your money where your mouth is and withdraw after an interview so you wouldn't ever be in that situation to begin with.

Easy.

Does anyone know how exactly medical schools are able to see your acceptances from previous cycles? Is it from the Multiple Acceptances Report sent out in the initial cycle? If so, if you withdraw from said acceptance before that report is released, then the medical schools wouldn't know that you are reapplying w/ a previous acceptance correct?

One if my PI's was a MD who is a professor at Top 20 NIH funded med schools. I asked about his thoughts on a generous PhD offer I had received in undergrad from my first PI. I always wanted to be a clinician but did enjoy research too. I knew he did a fellowship at Mass General but he was keen on explaining that if you really want to pursue research as an MD it can be done. He took a year of research as part of his fellowship and he is currently running a lab at well a funded medical school. Obviously there's more to it than just one year of research but honestly getting your MD won't stunt your research aspirations but declining a med school acceptance almost surely shuts the door completely on any clinical aspirations. Make sure you understand that going forward.

I know someone who gave up their MD acceptance few years ago to pursue PhD. They got the PhD, then applied for MD again and was accepted. There was quite a number of years in between though (7-8 yrs maybe?)