Reapplying??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonhead43

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm reapplying again this year for Fall 2007. I was wondering, do most or all schools require a new set of letter of recommendations for reapplicants? The reason why I am asking is because I am afraid I won't be able to contact the same professor that I had write me the letter. Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

lemonhead43 said:
Hey guys, I'm reapplying again this year for Fall 2007. I was wondering, do most or all schools require a new set of letter of recommendations for reapplicants? The reason why I am asking is because I am afraid I won't be able to contact the same professor that I had write me the letter. Thanks guys
You need to contact the schools you applied to directly. I know UMSL holds all your stuff if you tell them you are going to reapply. I know no schools hold your application items for four years, which is how long I had to wait the first time ;)

Yes most definitely. You would have to think so anyway.
They wouldnt hold it 4 years, but Im unsure if they'd even hold it for 2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
i just called ico, pco, nova, boston, suny, and scco and all of them say they at least hold it for a year. but pco said it is not recommended but you could send a recent letter to kinda "better" your chance of getting in.. more or less. im just kinda happy that i dont have to go through the letter ordeal again because one thing, that was hell for me because a professor almost screwed me over for one.

lemonhead43 said:
i just called ico, pco, nova, boston, suny, and scco and all of them say they at least hold it for a year. but pco said it is not recommended but you could send a recent letter to kinda "better" your chance of getting in.. more or less. im just kinda happy that i dont have to go through the letter ordeal again because one thing, that was hell for me because a professor almost screwed me over for one.

?

for the most part no. but pco said (not necessary) that having 1 or 2 new recommendation would help the "process". i dunno what to do, it's killing me

lemonhead43 said:
for the most part no. but pco said (not necessary) that having 1 or 2 new recommendation would help the "process". i dunno what to do, it's killing me

?

lemonhead43 said:

My favorite part of the application process? Getting letters of recommendation.

Ok, that was the BIGGEST lie I have ever told. It, for lack of a better word, sucked! Having said that, if I had to reapply, I would definitely want to submit additional letters of recommendation. The point is to make yourself a stronger applicant, and while perhaps it was your grades or your test scores that affected the committees' final decisions, every part has an impact. You have one full cycle in which you will do more activities (shadowing, volunteering, work...), mature, and become an even more well-rounded applicant. New LORs can reflect the important changes in your application.

SO, to summarize ;) don't "dunno what to do", get additional LORs!! :)

ldyswtnes said:
thanks! hmm.. well if they say that it would help i guess it would be best to get a couple more but do you think it has to be from different people as well? or can the same dr that wrote you one before write another one?

For the OD LOR, it is definitely acceptable to have the same doctor write your letter. That is, if s/he wrote you a good one the first time! After all, s/he is going to be the best one to know that you are working hard and showing the determination committees are looking for in their desireable applicants.

As for the additional letters, I don't think it would be bad to have the same people write them if they remain aware of your activities since the last time they wrote for you. Of course, if the committees have your old letters, and they have your new letters, and they're all from different people, wouldn't that be a boost?! Extra letters touting how wonderful you are :) .

for sure.. im gonna have my doctor write for every school again + one more that i didnt apply last year. but i took a couple of courses in the mean time of application last year so I asked my stats professor. at least it shows that you still have passion for the profession and it definately makes you stand out!!