Rec Letter from retaken professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmypharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reapplying to pharmacy school and took organic chemistry once and received a D. The second time round I took it with the same professor, I believe I am getting a B. My Professor is someone who is willing to write a stellar letter of recommendation if needed. My question is, will it look bad to admissions? Would I be better off asking my professor from Biology 101 to write me a letter? I received a B in her class and have taken it once.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's more important that whoever writes your letter knows you well. Whichever one knows you better I'd say. I don't see an issue with the retake professor writing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the person above. Which class did you participate more in? Which one did you show the most effort, from the professor's eyes? Also, just from knowing their personality from their teaching style; which would more likely write you a STRONG letter? If the retaking the class part is making you unsure, I don't think its bad. It shows that you can face your flaws, not give up, and try again.

You are expected to do better the second time around. Going from D to B is not an accomplishment. What you aren't telling us is if you put in truly commendable effort - going to the professor and TA for office hours, extra tutoring, etc. If you did that, then you are demonstrating motivation to succeed and hopefully the professor's letter would reflect that attitude. Otherwise it's a toss up. So yes, whichevery know you better.

You are expected to do better the second time around. Going from D to B is not an accomplishment. What you aren't telling us is if you put in truly commendable effort - going to the professor and TA for office hours, extra tutoring, etc. If you did that, then you are demonstrating motivation to succeed and hopefully the professor's letter would reflect that attitude. Otherwise it's a toss up. So yes, whichevery know you better.

+1 (D --> A ) = definite letter of rec request , (D --> B) not so much