Recent clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jissho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be applying to medical school this cycle and have been doing a lot of research on how to make a successful application. I've found that adcoms like to see recent clinical experience. What qualifies as recent experience? I shadowed a physician Sept-Oct. of 2010 and I am currently involved in non clinical volunteer work. I am a little bit concerned that my clinical experience may not be recent. Therefore, I am planning to do some additional shadowing in May of this year. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I will be applying to medical school this cycle and have been doing a lot of research on how to make a successful application. I've found that adcoms like to see recent clinical experience. What qualifies as recent experience? I shadowed a physician Sept-Oct. of 2010 and I am currently involved in non clinical volunteer work. I am a little bit concerned that my clinical experience may not be recent. Therefore, I am planning to do some additional shadowing in May of this year. Any advice?

The purpose of clinical experience is to get a reality check of what you are getting yourself into. Why would recent versus recent past make any difference in that fact? patient care is patient care. You are over thinking way too hard. You don't think 2010 is recent??? Let that go. Have a good overall package plain and simple.

The purpose of clinical experience is to get a reality check of what you are getting yourself into. Why would recent versus recent past make any difference in that fact? patient care is patient care. You are over thinking way too hard. You don't think 2010 is recent??? Let that go. Have a good overall package plain and simple.

The overarching concern is that I've been told different things by different people I just want to make sure that I'm on the right track. Several of my professors told me that I didn't need clinical experience! Luckily, I did not heed their advice and decided to shadow a physician in order to make sure that I was making the right decision.

Why would recent versus recent past make any difference in that fact?

This is the question wanted an answer to. It's been an issue for people who were rejected.

You don't think 2010 is recent???
When I submit m application in June, 7-8 months will have passed since my initial experience. I wont be able to start in the clinic until May.