Recent PCAT Takers and Those Currently Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brocampo

Reaction score
Given the number of different sections covered in the PCAT, how do you/ did you divide your studying time between each section from a day to day basis? I plan on studying using the Dr. Collins prep materials, and whatever more you all may suggest. Thank you in advanced!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @Brocampo! Here are some tips on how I prepared for the PCAT:

1. I utilized the official practice tests from Pearson in order to simulate an actual exam. After finishing the exam, I went back over every question especially the questions I got wrong.
2. I spent around 3-16 hours everyday studying for a period of 1.5 months. I wouldn't recommend studying 16 hours per day. However, depending on how well you know the material, I do recommend spending a minimum of 1-3 hours per day for 2 months in preparation for the PCAT. You can also give yourself a 1 day break each week.
3. I studied in chunks. First, I would tackle biology followed by chemistry, critical reasoning, and quantitative reasoning. The reason I like to do one section at a time is so that I can have thoughts organized in my head on a day-to-day basis. I started timing individual questions during my last month of preparation. In the final 2 weeks, I started combining all the sections together and tackled any sections I felt weak on.
4. A good resource to utilize would be quizlet or flashcards especially on the biology and chemistry sections. Many of the PCAT questions rely on memorization.

I hope some of these pointers helps in your preparation as well. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user