recent transition to PA - advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elia22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new college grad who had hopes to apply to MD/DO school but have recently changed my decision after a drastic life change and I'm going for PA school now.

Here's my resume in a nutshell...

-My cumulative GPA is 3.2 and my science GPA is about 3.3-3.4 (not certain since some schools calculate it differently). I'm a marketing major and biology minor.
-I'm currently working as a dermatology medical assistant (direct patient care) and have about 2.5 years of scribing experience in the E.R. and at a pediatric clinic which gave me the opportunity to shadow and have non-direct patient care.
-I also have 500+ volunteer hours which include a mission trip to Honduras, teaching English in Italy, working in a children's hospital and teaching personal finance to HS kids.
-I've completed 2 research projects (1 clinical and 1 in physics)
-Was involved in numerous student organizations and have held positions as VP, secretary and treasurer in these
-I have a letter from a PA, an MD and 3 professors
-have not taken the GRE yet but most of the programs I want to apply to do not even require it (!!!)

* I'm a TX resident, female, 23 y/o, Perisan (which is considered white by the government) and am either looking to stay in TX or move to NY (where my fiance lives).

Any advice? What can I improve on my application? and most importantly, what would make me an ideal candidate as an out of state resident who wants to move to New York?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm a new college grad who had hopes to apply to MD/DO school but have recently changed my decision after a drastic life change and I'm going for PA school now.

Here's my resume in a nutshell...

-My cumulative GPA is 3.2 and my science GPA is about 3.3-3.4 (not certain since some schools calculate it differently). I'm a marketing major and biology minor.
-I'm currently working as a dermatology medical assistant (direct patient care) and have about 2.5 years of scribing experience in the E.R. and at a pediatric clinic which gave me the opportunity to shadow and have non-direct patient care.
-I also have 500+ volunteer hours which include a mission trip to Honduras, teaching English in Italy, working in a children's hospital and teaching personal finance to HS kids.
-I've completed 2 research projects (1 clinical and 1 in physics)
-Was involved in numerous student organizations and have held positions as VP, secretary and treasurer in these
-I have a letter from a PA, an MD and 3 professors
-have not taken the GRE yet but most of the programs I want to apply to do not even require it (!!!)

* I'm a TX resident, female, 23 y/o, Perisan (which is considered white by the government) and am either looking to stay in TX or move to NY (where my fiance lives).

Any advice? What can I improve on my application? and most importantly, what would make me an ideal candidate as an out of state resident who wants to move to New York?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Your 3.2 GPA is low. These days average GPA is 3.5.

Here's a suggestion to the OP. To improve your overall application, emphasize any direct patient care experience you do have, attempt any GRE/MCAT tests to prove your measure of success in PA school, and write an extraordinary essay. Your letters of reference are good since you have a PA and an MD vouching for you. However, I must agree with the last post: A combination of a high GPA, hours of direct patient care experience in the thousands, and an essay highlighting your individual story/desire to become a PA will help you stand out as a competitive candidate. Good luck.

I would suggest possibly picking up an EMT cert to boost your patient care hours and get some triage experience. It's good you have the letters, but as others have said you need to knock it out of the park with your personal statement/essay (I would play up your healthcare experience and address why your GPA is lower than other applicants), and as others have said take the GRE because it is a yardstick for success in graduate school that many programs look at in applicant's files.

Good luck!