Recently graduated PA wanting to apply to MD/DO programs next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bondaxsnake

Reaction score
Hi all - I have logistical questions in regards to applying for medical school in the upcoming cycle.

1. Prereqs - I graduated from undergrad in 2012 (have enough bio and general chem courses, but only took one organic chem and one physics course) - do I need to update any of these? Would you recommend I take a second Ochem and Physics to increase my chances of getting in somewhere?
2. Stats - I had a 3.6 cGPA in undergrad, 3.4 sGPA, 4.0 from Duke's PA program - are these competitive stats? I plan to write my MCAT in the next few months so I don't have that info yet.
3. Any other PAs that switched to MD that have any advice for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all - I have logistical questions in regards to applying for medical school in the upcoming cycle.

1. Prereqs - I graduated from undergrad in 2012 (have enough bio and general chem courses, but only took one organic chem and one physics course) - do I need to update any of these? Would you recommend I take a second Ochem and Physics to increase my chances of getting in somewhere?
2. Stats - I had a 3.6 cGPA in undergrad, 3.4 sGPA, 4.0 from Duke's PA program - are these competitive stats? I plan to write my MCAT in the next few months so I don't have that info yet.

Well I think the whole scenario is very interesting. Cuz , you graduated Duke’s PA program with a solid 4.0 plus , I bet you have some in-contact with patient experience so that’s a plus . I’m not sure if they will look at your Undergraduate Science GPA (you might want to improve it a little bit ) Other than that , I think they will accept you easily .Wish you all the best :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a practicing pa that is matriculating into medical school.

I would highly recommend practicing as a PA for a couple of years. Why did you go to PA school if you didn’t want to be a PA? Why are you transitioning to an MD? You likely won’t have adequate answers to those questions.

No one will mention your undergrad GPA as long as you do well on your mcat.

I graduated in 2010 and all schools took my prereqs. It likely won’t matter when you took them as long as you have completed them.

Edit: Advice - 52X MCAT, complete your prereqs, and practice for at least a year. Ask yourself why you want this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Several schools require two semesters of organic and physics. You might also need biochemistry, math, and psychology or sociology courses if you don't have them already. Get MSAR or check school websites for specific requirements.

You would be an absolute utter fool to plan to take the MCAT before you have completed the above courses. Nor should consider taking it until you actually have a good solid idea of the path you need to take to get there , other than this seemingly cockeyed-optimistic dream. Do you have a "treatment plan" in place? Most of your PA courses will not, repeat, will not count as "science" courses towards GPA but they will work against you as you didnt excel in medical-school level courses (or lighter)

What? The OP's undergrad GPA/science GPA is low, but he/she got a 4.0 in PA school, so he/she did excel in medical-school level courses.

OP, you need to take O-Chem II and Physics II. I would take them before you take the MCAT. I hear some schools now require a sociology or psychology course as well. You really should do some more research prior to applying. Don't waste money before you cross all your ts and dot all your is.

Just curious, are you a practicing PA?

Work for a few years and make some decent money (maybe even saving enough to pay for all living expenses throughout med school so you at least don't need loans for that) while also getting extensive contact with doctors, showing a "gradual" realization of the differences between PA and MD and coming up with a good argument for why PA isn't enough.
Additionally, cover any gaps in pre-reqs and ace all of them.
Plus, cover any gaps in ECs (nonclinical volunteering with underserved, try to check the research box).
Plus, ace the MCAT.
Not to mention figuring out things like LORs.
I highly doubt you'd be able to get all this ready by next cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
One of the few times I'll recommend NP/PAs looking to switch to MD to stay is this situation.
You literally just graduated, work for a few years. You just might like it.

Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate all the responses! I have done background research and paid for access to MSAR to get a better understanding of requirements and where I stand. I was just curious if med schools would allow any flexibility in completion of prereqs given I do have the PA degree. The only two prereqs I don't have are OChem II and Physics II so I will look into taking these next.

For the curious - I am a certified PA, and I have a spot in a top PA Emergency Medicine residency, but have found that I want more. I want more answers to the 'whys' that we weren't taught in PA school, and I want the opportunity for leadership and contribution to research, which I feel are limited in scope as a PA.

I just worry about starting medical school too late (am currently 29), hence the rush. But another year of investment into a well-prepared application is well worth the return!

@bondaxsnake There's an excess of materials to access if you're truly curious about the "why" questions in terms of medical literature that would be more thorough, more effective, and more applicable to your specialty than what you would likely gain through two years of didactic education. When it comes to PAs it is hard to not see their job as being one of leadership as they are often the front line of most private practices as they often do initial patient assessments, prognosis, and care plans with f/u by attendings in the practice after reviewing their initial notes. I'm also skeptical of how you tacked on research as a third category as if it is an afterthought. Because most people who participate and continue to participate in clinical research have an understanding of how little appreciation there is for progress in the medical field. The individuals who stay invested in research that I've met often have an inconceivable passion for their research topic and take appreciation in the process, especially when there is no guarantee that the outcome will meet the standards of their initial hypothesis.

It wasn't clear, when did you begin practicing as a PA full time (post graduation)? If a while ago, you likely have many examples of building the Why Curiosity.

Many of the responses were as if you were just graduated this year or upcoming spring which I suspect isn't the case.

What? The OP's undergrad GPA/science GPA is low, but he/she got a 4.0 in PA school, so he/she did excel in medical-school level courses.

OP, you need to take O-Chem II and Physics II. I would take them before you take the MCAT. I hear some schools now require a sociology or psychology course as well. You really should do some more research prior to applying. Don't waste money before you cross all your ts and dot all your is.

Just curious, are you a practicing PA?
And Biochemistry just in case OP hasn't taken it yet. It's a heavy MCAT subject.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Edit: Advice - 52X MCAT, complete your prereqs, and practice for at least a year. Ask yourself why you want this.

Ya, just get a 520 MCAT - great advice.

PA courses are watered down med school courses - not the same.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're really dead-set on doing this, LECOM has a PA to DO bridge program. Not sure of the specifics.

Be that as it may, I was responding to the assertion that he/she didn't do well in his/her PA courses.

Ya, just get a 520 MCAT - great advice.

It’s what he should aim for and it should be his biggest focus moving forward. No need to be so abrasive.

OP, I think you're really nuts that you want to quickly apply to medical school without even practicing as a PA...nuts. Anyways, you should really consider LECOM's PA to DO bridge program...save time and money with the amount of debt you have already accrued.

Current PA here. I decided during PA school that I also made the wrong choice. I decided to study and take the MCAT after I graduated. I knew I wouldn't be able to start a job for about 3 months which gave me ample time to study. This also allowed me to fully take in the career before committing to the switch. I am currently working full time and have a PRN UC gig and have never been more sure of my decision. I am set to apply in 2020. Please keep me updated on your progress.

Current PA here. I decided during PA school that I also made the wrong choice. I decided to study and take the MCAT after I graduated. I knew I wouldn't be able to start a job for about 3 months which gave me ample time to study. This also allowed me to fully take in the career before committing to the switch. I am currently working full time and have a PRN UC gig and have never been more sure of my decision. I am set to apply in 2020. Please keep me updated on your progress.
I am in a similar situation as you, may I PM you to ask a few questions?